How do you charge at work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yanki01, Nov 6, 2013.

1. yanki01, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

Since iOS 7, i'll come home with about 20% battery sometimes. If I go to the gym that day then I may be screwed. I just got my monoprice.com lightning to usb cable to charge at work. I'd like something clean looking to stand it on or mount it. Not the stand from apple because I have a snap/thin case and don't want to remove it everytime I need to mount it.

Just wanted to see what others use to charge/stand theirs on at work? feel free to post some pictures.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't usually charge at work. If I do, I bring my Apple issued Lightning cable. Most days I have about 55-65% when I leave work at 5pm and I'm up at 5:45am.

For stands, I use a black, plastic-covered metal business card holder and put my phone in it on it's side. Used the same holder before I got my iPhone 5 for my previous phone. Works just fine for me.

3. AAPLinc, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I never have to charge at work, my 5S is still at 50-60% at the end of the day when I plug in before bed.

But if I do have to charge at work, I just plug it in. :rolleyes::p I have three lightning cables, 1 that was included, 1 I bought from Best Buy and 1 car charger.

I work at a production company, so I have a desk that I can set it on to charge next to my laptop.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

At work, or other places, just generally place the phone on a table or another surface next to me and plug the charging cable into it and that's it (no stands or anything like that).

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Why can't it just lie on its back while you charge?

6. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

How do you charge at work?

I have an iPad Mini, iPod 5g, and iPhone 5s, and as a result, I have 3 Apple lightning cables. I keep one in my car for charge/play on my deck, one at home to charge overnight, and one at work plugged into my monitor's USB. I just sit it on my desk under the monitor when it is charging: no stand.

In practice, I use the iPod in my car 95% of the time, the one at home every night for my phone, and rarely use the one at work.

In other news, I forgot my cables when I was on a drive to an all-day job in the company car at a clients office. I stopped and picked up a off brand cable at a gas station, which did not even work a little. It went down 2% while plugged in. This cable was rated for a 5 but did not work at all for my 5s. Word of warning for potential aftermarket cable buyers.

7. sjperformance macrumors 6502

At my office I connect lighting cable to PC and charge from there. I use an apple lighting cable. So while I do work on my PC my phone is charging.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have a lightning cable that I keep at work should I need to top my phone off, but I almost never go below 50%, even on very heavy usage days (well, heavy for me). So I rarely have to charge my phone at work.

If necessary, I'll plug my phone in the car for the commute home or wherever else I may be headed. That can put me up to 80% easily by the time I get to where I'm going.

9. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

mine currently does just sit on the desk. just wanted to see what everyone else does and what stands they have.

10. blcfla macrumors regular

I rarely need to charge except for while sleeping but when traveling or needed I have an Anker portable external battery to charge it. Or if in the car I'll use the car charger.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just the cable for me, but I tend to topple off the phone in the car more times than charging out and about…

I think what you might want to ask is recommendations for cradles instead of going around the word. Belkin has a nice one that can fit slim cases.

12. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I have an iHome on my desk at work. It's one of the newer ones with a dock and a USB port on the back that will charge both the iPhone and iPad.

13. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I just plug mine in and place it on the shelf beneath the microwave and coffee pot.

Apple lightning, no stand. I work retail, and have limited access to my phone on the job.

14. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

usb cable from my work iMac. Phone just sits flat on table.

At home, wall charger sitting flat on bedside table or flat on my home deal, cable from iMac.

I use no stands for the iPhone. Pretty much same deal with my iPad too

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I have a mophie juice pack to recharge my iPhone at work.
    Usually I let it drains until 40-50% and than connect the mophie to recharge it till 95%.

16. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

We (IT Dept) have a plethora of Apple devices loaned out to our users, so I just charge it on my desk with an iPad charger.

Although its usually still around 85% when I get home, and thats after a full days usage (albeit limited phone calls).

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I believe in not working or having a "job". Problem solved!

Bryan

18. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I use a Mophie battery case, as well. To get the most out of your battery case, it's better to letter the phone's battery discharge lower, though. Charging efficiency decreases as the phone's battery gets closer to a full charge. You'd get more total lifetime out of the phone and case combined by letting the phone drop to 20% or lower and then activating the case (even better if you baby it and stop charging at 70% or so, and then reactivating the case if the phone drops to 20% again).

19. wxman2003 Suspended

I am amazed that some of the places of employment allow you to attach personal devices to the usb ports of company computers. Wow, talk about lack of security. :eek:

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

cable plugged into MBP...phone laying on desk.

I did it with the iPhone 4 but that needed plugged in more.

Now I could probably get by fine without a work charge. and top off at home. Last night i charged at work and then was fine until back into work the next day.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

From what I know about lithium based batteries, it's better don't let them drop so much.
    Recharging from 20% is a bigger stress for the battery than recharging from 40%, and it uses a full charge cycle.

22. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I put my phone on my desk upside down and angel it towards the east so that the phone faces the large window overlooking the Manhattan skyline. then I carefully plug in the lightning cable ever so carefully so that it doesn't scratch the aluminum body of the iPhone. That's who I charge my phone at work!

23. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

24. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

That advice applies to long-term storage of lithium-ion batteries. It's technically bad for the battery to be at full charge or full discharge for a long period of time, but when it comes to daily usage it's not a particularly big issue. The advice I gave (which can also be found on Mophie's website) applies when trying to maximize the electricity that you're carrying on you.

25. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

hey! I charge it the same way. though the skyline is replaced by a back fence of an apartment complex. exciting views.