How do you clean a MBP without it turning on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacNut, Feb 16, 2019.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So after 2 months with this new machine I wanted to give it a good wipe down. So I powered down and attempted to give it a good cleaning. Every time I touched the trackpad the machine started to power up. I have never had a trackpad turn the machine on before. How are you supposed to clean these damn things if they keep powering on.

2. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

hehe, you have to get an appointment at the genius bar ;)

and

why do all the geniuses end up working for apple retail?

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I hope you are being sarcastic but with Apple these days it's probably true.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    There is another thread in here somewhere about this issue and how annoying it can be. With the new MBPs if the machine is shut down but the lid is open one can turn on the machine simply by touching either the touchpad or any key. This can be both convenient and inconvenient, depending upon what one wants to do, and, yes, makes things rather challenging when one wants to wipe down the machine, give it and the screen a cleaning.

ETA: found the thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-2018-turns-on-when-any-key-pressed.2131668/

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Who knew Apple would want to make things more difficult.

6. donawalt macrumors regular

donawalt

I find this works easily - I lock the screen, spray WATER ONLY from an atomizer onto a microfiber cloth, and then I can run the cloth all over the keyboard with nothing really happening. When I am done, I unlock and I am on my way!

7. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

It's terminal.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I'd rather have the machine powered down before putting any sort of moisture to it.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That was on aspect that I really hated with the MBP. Why bother even having a power button at that point, it serves no purpose.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Seems more like a flaw than a feature.

11. donawalt macrumors regular

donawalt

That's why I do what I do - with spraying on a cloth so it's damp, it's not like you are spraying/pouring water directly on the laptop/keyboard. The cloth is just damp, but that works perfectly. It the laptop is powered on, it turns right back on when you touch the keys.

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Off should mean off, not touch any key to boot.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Run the battery down?

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Seriously that seems like the only option.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Welp, I just went down the rabbit hole of Apple Support pages and learned that, while some people think this is a glitch (and that you're computer is only supposed to do this when asleep rather than turn off), it's an officially documented feature of 2018 Mac notebooks. ****ing hell.

Anyway, I'd give this terminal command a whirl; it says it's to disable auto boot on lid open, but the command doesn't look like it would be limited to lid opening:

Code:
    sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00
    Really hope this helps. :) I cannot imagine Apple would introduce a feature that disruptive with no recourse.

EDIT:

Whoops, looks like it's already been suggested.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This makes sense now. When I first got my machine and took it out of the box I was shocked to see these things powered on out of the factory. Turns out it's a feature of opening the lid.

18. GLS macrumors 6502

Well piss.

I know that worked on my 2017 model, so I tried it on my 2018.

Shut it down, then pressed the trackpad, pressed a bunch of keys...then finally, it came to life.

Saw a reddit thread where there's an app to disable the keyboard completely, but only while the laptop is running.

http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/48-Keyboard-Cleaner.html

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Back in 2016 when I bought my 2016 12" MacBook, I was not aware that the thing was going to power on when I opened the lid for the first time, and was really startled and kind of annoyed as I really wasn't ready to start setting it up, I just wanted to LOOK at it. The auto-boot at opening the lid is one thing, and once one knows about it and what to expect, not quite as annoying as having it auto-boot when simply touching a key. Thankfully neither the 2016 or 2017 12" MacBooks do the latter, they just auto-boot when lifting the lid. Took me a while to get used to that but by the time I got the 2018 MBP I had become quite accustomed to it. The new "feature" of having the machine auto-boot when simply touching a key or the touchpad is annoying at times. I hadn't thought about locking the screen prior to cleaning the machine.... I am not about to attempt to disable the auto-boot functions, am just learning to live with them. It really would have been nice if Apple had offered us the option of being able to easily disable this (without having to into Terminal) if we wanted to do so.

20. 1096bimu macrumors 6502

1096bimu

Why do you have to turn it off? Why can’t you just clean it with it powered on? What’s the disadvantage?

21. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I just spray some iKlear on a microfiber cloth and wipe it down. I shut it down and do the top half first. It's easier to see how well I am doing with the screen off. Then I hit the keyboard, trackpad and yes it powers up but it doesn't matter to me at this point.

22. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It's hard to clean the screen with it on. And probably ill advised.

23. crawfish963 macrumors 6502a

crawfish963

It seems to me that the best option with the 2016+ with Touch Bar would have been to make the Touch Bar the power button.

24. cynics macrumors G4

To clean my MBP I start with handheld vacuum to get stuff out of the keys. I then use compressed air to get anything left out and I blow back through the vents. I open terminal (to minimize the effects of key strikes) and use a cloth that is slightly damp with alcohol to wipe down the case and keys. Finally I put the MBP to sleep and lay it so the back of the screen (top) is laying on the special towel while I'm holding the keyboard area and I fold the towel over and wipe it off.