Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
SoOo… this year I’m considering moving up from the 13P to a 14PM. I’ve owned larger models before, but up until the 13P, I never noticed the weight difference as much as I did last year. The size doesn’t bother me, I have medium sized hands with long fingers.

I’m seriously wondering how the female users that have Pro Max models cope, especially if they don’t carry a purse all the time.

And for the gentlemen/females that go to the gym and carry it for more physical activities, does the size eventually become unnoticeable?

It used to be you could order a model on launch and not have to worry about other models being in stock. It would be easy to try the larger size, if you didn’t like it, go to an Apple Store and trade for the smaller size. But now with shortages and supply issues, you’re kinda stuck with what you order.

I’m not really one to order both sizes just to try. Mostly because I don’t want to deny a fellow Apple lover the chance to get one on launch day, just because I ordered two for the sake of it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 👊😃👍

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I’m also interested in some input on this but more regarding size in pockets.

I had the 6+ and I loved it in my hands but couldn’t walk up stairs with it in my pockets, or if I was sitting I needed to stand up to get it out. I’m wondering if this will be less of an issue now because part of the reason I couldn’t just let me pant leg smash it against my leg while going up stairs was because it started to bend and I don’t think that’s still a problem with current models, but getting it out of pockets while sitting is likely still an issue.

What have your experiences been with a max-sized phone? What pocket do you keep it in? Do you have troubles getting it out of your pocket while sitting? Have you ever been buckled in a car and wanted to get your phone out of your pocket? Do you have to take it out if your pockets before going up flights of stairs? If not, do you take stairs one at a time or two at a time?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022

I had the 6+ and I loved it in my hands but couldn’t walk up stairs with it in my pockets, or if I was sitting I needed to stand up to get it out. I’m wondering if this will be less of an issue now because part of the reason I couldn’t just let me pant leg smash it against my leg while going up stairs was because it started to bend and I don’t think that’s still a problem with current models, but getting it out of pockets while sitting is likely still an issue.

What have your experiences been with a max-sized phone? What pocket do you keep it in? Do you have troubles getting it out of your pocket while sitting? Have you ever been buckled in a car and wanted to get your phone out of your pocket? Do you have to take it out if your pockets before going up flights of stairs? If not, do you take stairs one at a time or two at a time?
I’ve owned the the 6, 7 and 8 plus models. Being aluminum and less camera hardware, I barely noticed the weight. But I wear a lot of sweat/gym shorts and found they were constantly sliding out of my pocket in my car. Most of the time I take it out to plug in for CarPlay, but still there are times I don’t.

The jeans I wear aren’t skinny, nor super baggy. So a larger device is fine standing up to get out. But like anything sitting down they can be a pain getting out.

Since the 6, 7 and 8, I’ve owned the X, XR, 11, 12P and 13P. Noticing the weight get up there each time. That’s why I’m worried about the weight of the Pro Max versions when being as active as I am.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've owned the 6+. I currently own the 6s+ and the 11 Pro Max, my primary phone.

I like a nice weight to a phone. The 11PM seems to be a bit top heavy (a lot of the weight seems to be at the top). Not a big fan of that as it's part of the reason I dropped mine a few months back and had to replace it.

I have designated spots for where my phone goes at home, in the car and when out. I don't sit on it. If I have no other place to put it when sitting, it will go in a front pocket.

I don't use cases so that makes it easier.

Also, I don't use my iPhone as a computer/media device/etc so that may be part of why the weight does not bother me. I'm not holding it a lot. For long calls (rare) I'll use a headset, so again not holding it very long.

Finally, I work from home. This means I'm in front of all my computers all day so my phone is just a phone. Even before the pandemic though, I had two computers at work - the one work gave me and my own laptop. So my phone was still being used as a phone.

Reactions: 1557750

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

So far the iPhone 13 Pro Max has been an excellent fit for me. Love ProMotion, the screen size and most of all the insane battery life.

It fits quite snugly in the front left pocket of my jeans and shorts.

I am able to take it out from my pockets while seated down but it slides out with more ease when I am standing up. On the plus side, it never slips out of my pocket when I am seated low, for example, while driving in my car, which was a problem with my past two iPhones, namely the XR and iPhone 12.

I do not have to take it out of my pocket to climb or descend the stairs and I usually take a single step at a time.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
So far the iPhone 13 Pro Max has been an excellent fit for me. Love ProMotion, the screen size and most of all the insane battery life.

It fits quite snugly in the front left pocket of my jeans and shorts.

I am able to take it out from my pockets while seated down but it slides out with more ease when I am standing up. On the plus side, it never slips out of my pocket when I am seated low, for example, while driving in my car, which was a problem with my past two iPhones, namely the XR and iPhone 12.

I do not have to take it out of my pocket to climb or descend the stairs and I usually take a single step at a time.
Excellent, thanks! Think I’m convincing myself and others like yourself have convinced me to go larger.

And I may or may not be picking up a watch w/cellular as well. Would help a lot with leaving my phone behind for things like the gym and short outings.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
From a gym standpoint it will just depend on your layout and the trust in your surroundings. Wearing gym sweats/shorts while getting in and out of the car you do have to be cautious as the PM can definitely work itself free.

As far as being at the gym, I’ve used some gym’s where I leave it in a cubby or central location and my headphones don’t lose signal so it stays there. I’ve also carried my phone from each exercise and as long as you don’t drop weights on it then it’s a non issue.

If I run for cardio I can hold it in my had for about 1.5mile or so but I don’t sweat much so it’s not terrible but is cumbersome. Now my 13 Mini I can keep in my pockets the entire time with all the above tasks. Sometimes it might fall out doing something on the flat bench but the Mini is the portability champ.

Btw, I don’t use cases or screen protectors and nothing crazy has happened as long as you’re careful.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
From a gym standpoint it will just depend on your layout and the trust in your surroundings. Wearing gym sweats/shorts while getting in and out of the car you do have to be cautious as the PM can definitely work itself free.

As far as being at the gym, I’ve used some gym’s where I leave it in a cubby or central location and my headphones don’t lose signal so it stays there. I’ve also carried my phone from each exercise and as long as you don’t drop weights on it then it’s a non issue.

If I run for cardio I can hold it in my had for about 1.5mile or so but I don’t sweat much so it’s not terrible but is cumbersome. Now my 13 Mini I can keep in my pockets the entire time with all the above tasks. Sometimes it might fall out doing something on the flat bench but the Mini is the portability champ.

Btw, I don’t use cases or screen protectors and nothing crazy has happened as long as you’re careful.
Wow! My gym has small cubby lockers like you’re talking about. And I was wondering if my AirPods would reach or not. I may have to try that. That would solve all kinds of issues.

I purchased some of the underneath spandex shorts with the elastic pocket, they still don’t hold my 13P when laying for sit-ups and stuff where my knees are in the air. So annoying. And not a fan of those armband cases.

Thanks for your feedback!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
SoOo… this year I’m considering moving up from the 13P to a 14PM. I’ve owned larger models before, but up until the 13P, I never noticed the weight difference as much as I did last year. The size doesn’t bother me, I have medium sized hands with long fingers.

I’m seriously wondering how the female users that have Pro Max models cope, especially if they don’t carry a purse all the time.

And for the gentlemen/females that go to the gym and carry it for more physical activities, does the size eventually become unnoticeable?

It used to be you could order a model on launch and not have to worry about other models being in stock. It would be easy to try the larger size, if you didn’t like it, go to an Apple Store and trade for the smaller size. But now with shortages and supply issues, you’re kinda stuck with what you order.

I’m not really one to order both sizes just to try. Mostly because I don’t want to deny a fellow Apple lover the chance to get one on launch day, just because I ordered two for the sake of it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 👊😃👍
Unless you need the AOD, you should get the 14 Max. I expect it to be far lighter than the 14 PM because it will be made of aluminum instead of SS.

The 12 PM has been a non-issue for my gym shorts but is it uncomfortable in pocket with some of my pants.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
Unless you need the AOD, you should get the 14 Max. I expect it to be far lighter than the 14 PM because it will be made of aluminum instead of SS.

The 12 PM has been a non-issue for my gym shorts but is it uncomfortable in pocket with some of my pants.
AOD isn’t a selling point for me. But unfortunately camera and promotion has become one. I didn’t notice the move to promotion that much going up to it. But using nonPM since, I can tell the difference. Or else I’d be all over the regular Max.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Excellent, thanks! Think I’m convincing myself and others like yourself have convinced me to go larger.

And I may or may not be picking up a watch w/cellular as well. Would help a lot with leaving my phone behind for things like the gym and short outings.
If you get the Apple Watch with cellular, that should cover your needs while you’re at the gym. It can do texts with swipe motion for larger fingers pretty well. It takes practice but it’s feasible for short responses until you’re done with your workout and can get back to your phone. I’ve taken plenty of calls on my Apple Watch and it has gone pretty well.

Of course you can’t web surf and you can’t take photos, but you’re working out, so who cares?

Oh in terms of iPhone Pro vs Pro Max, I eventually went for a 12 Pro Max over a 12 Pro because weight distribution was better on the 12 Pro Max and fatigued my hands less. I’m plenty strong but I’m older and arthritis joint pain is now a factor for me regarding the weight of these phones.

The 13 Pro was better in terms of balance and feel in hand than the 12 Pro for me. So I didn’t mind downsizing to that from the 12 Pro Max. I quit using that phone for many other reasons in favor of iPhone 11 and SE3, but size wasn’t one of the reasons.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
If you get the Apple Watch with cellular, that should cover your needs while you’re at the gym. It can do texts with swipe motion for larger fingers pretty well. It takes practice but it’s feasible for short responses until you’re done with your workout and can get back to your phone. I’ve taken plenty of calls on my Apple Watch and it has gone pretty well.

Of course you can’t web surf and you can’t take photos, but you’re working out, so who cares?

Oh in terms of iPhone Pro vs Pro Max, I eventually went for a 12 Pro Max over a 12 Pro because weight distribution was better on the 12 Pro Max and fatigued my hands less. I’m plenty strong but I’m older and arthritis joint pain is now a factor for me regarding the weight of these phones.

The 13 Pro was better in terms of balance and feel in hand than the 12 Pro for me. So I didn’t mind downsizing to that from the 12 Pro Max. I quit using that phone for many other reasons in favor of iPhone 11 and SE3, but size wasn’t one of the reasons.
Yea, I’m really thinking the Watch with cellular would probably solve a lot of my worries concerning weight during activities. And I’m usually focused on what I’m doing, I’m not one to take pics and be on my phone at the gym anyway.

Weight in hand doesn’t bother me really, but I know what you mean about being top heavy. Can make it surprisingly uncomfortable over long periods of time.

Thank you! 🙏

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I switched back to the Pro from a few Pro Max's because of the phone being so top heavy and uncomfortable to hold, personally. Even with reachability it was hard to use most of the time.
Are there any deep analyses that show how heavy the top of the phone is compared to the bottom? I would suspect it’s largely just from it being so big that we tend to hold it from the lower half. Like, is the center of gravity really above the halfway point of the phone?

Reactions: Azathoth123

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
I’ll be honest the 13 Pro Max was only the second iPhone I’ve ever handled, I had a XR in my last job which was only ever a phone, I never used any of the other features. I’ve handled the Pro Max using most of it’s features just fine. I don’t find it heavy or awkward at all.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Are there any deep analyses that show how heavy the top of the phone is compared to the bottom? I would suspect it’s largely just from it being so big that we tend to hold it from the lower half. Like, is the center of gravity really above the halfway point of the phone?

Not hard. This is my 12 Pro Max in a Caudabé case. Looks pretty well balanced to me.

974D0C6B-382D-4EB7-83A0-47C0D7237A3B.jpeg

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I came to this phone from a Samsung s10+. The latter is sleeker and the iPhone Pro Max a bit clunkier ...however, I would not trade the screen size for smaller. This is an ideal size for me and it is easy to put in not just a pant or jacket pocket but fits in my shirt pocket as well (with case on and all). I can see where it might not be as good a fit for someone who is a wiz at using just one hand but for the rest of us, it has a good feel and a lot to offer.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Being going Max since 11. Going 14PM again. I can’t never downgrade to a smaller screen. As per my iPhone history I hated big phones. Once apple got rid of top and bottom bezels that was it for me. I went bigger. Easy to use for me. Easy to hold. Don’t bother me. Easy to carry inside my jeans, shorts, etc. I don’t dress baggy nor tight skinny.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m a woman, who barely carries a purse and wear tight shorts and pants everyday. I have 0 issues carrying my 12 Pro Max in my front pocket. The X was the smallest phone I had since the 6 debuted and the size of the X was too small for me. I’m currently using a clear Caudabe case and it don’t add any bulk nor extra weight.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I got big hands and smaller phones don’t work really work for me. Like it boggles my mind to see how small the iPhone 4 and 5 were 😂.

I did have an IPhone XS ( non max version) and it was a pain to text on since everything felt cramped. But really ever since the iPhone 7 Plus I been on the side that favors bigger screens for iPhones.

Also, the weight of like the 11 pro max is not really noticeable at all. I am interested to see if the same will be the case when I upgrade to the 14 pro max.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
I believe the phone size should depend on hand size, it determines how you handle the device and the probability you will drop it

Attachments

• tempImageelqyJQ.png
    tempImageelqyJQ.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.