How do you deal with canker sores?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've had a horrible canker sore for about a week now which just started healing last night.

From the time I noticed it last week until yesterday, I tried almost anything I could think of, read about or be suggested on it with no luck whatsoever.

Does anyone have any tip or family remedies they suggest if it were to come back?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Well, for a short remedy, I have always taken half a dixie cup of Listerine and soaked it for about a minute just on that spot, that usual numbs it for 30-45 minutes for me.

I absolutely hate them though, I get about 1 a month that'll last for about a week, they drive me nuts!

3. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

When I was in my late teens & early twenties I would get horrible canker sores. My dentist prescribed some concoction that was part kaopectate and a few other things. I wish I could remember the rest, but it's been a long time since then. You would have to swish it around and it seemed to speed up the healing by several days.

Avoid tomato sauce. That will sting like he||

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'll second the mouthwash suggestion, not only does it numb the pain, but it seems that consistent (at least daily) rounds yields a shorter recovery time.

For about the first 4 visits to my current dentist, without fail I would manage to somehow bite my lip while eating about 3-5 days before my appointment, almost always in the same spot. I think they really thought I had a problem.

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Swirl extremely salty water, fixes it really quickly if i remember right. (It's been years since i have had one)

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I get them pretty often (like JML42691 mentioned above) and this is what I usually do, but this time around salt water did squat...

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK... What's a "canker sores"??

9. myusername macrumors member

myusername

my solution

Place an uncoated aspirin right on the sore until it dissolves, tastes gross but works for me

-r

10. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Google it and you'll get all the info you need (and more)...

I read that doing the same thing with Tums works. It tried it and it seemed to help a little. I'd imagine Tums tastes a lot better than aspirin. I don't know if it's the same effect, though.

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I usually put an ice cube on the sore to reduce the canker sore.. :eek:

Put it on when you feel it to start, it'll help to recovery more quickly..

12. Remiss63 macrumors newbie

Remiss63

Orajel pack

What I do is to tear off a small piece of tissue and fold it up so that it's just a little bit bigger than the canker sore. I use Orajel and squeeze some out onto the tissue. I then place the tissue with the Orajel positioned directly on the sore and insert it into your mouth holding it there. If it is at all possible, position the tissue between your gum and cheek (or teeth and cheek).

Now comes the tricky part. Hold it there as long as possible. Typically I will do this for 30 minutes at a time during the day and then I'll set this up as I'm going to bed. Usually leaving this "compress" in this spot in your mouth over night will reduce it considerably. Two nights of this treatment (along with some treatments during the day) will usually eliminate it.

The thing that's difficult is that the Orajel tastes bitter. You have to develop a method for holding it in your mouth where it isn't mixing with your saliva so you aren't tasting it constantly. I'm guessing the technique might have some similarities to using chewing tobacco.

I get the best results while sleeping, especially if the "compress" remains in place all night long.

13. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

There's a product called "Kank-a" that is made by Blistex and ADA accepted. It's main active ingredient is Benzocaine which numbs the pain. There are a number of other ingredients that coat the soar so that it doesn't get irritated. Do this for a day or two (4 times a day) and you will be feeling way better.

Anbesol would likely do the same thing.

I used to get these a lot and they are no fun.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. Karasu macrumors newbie

I do the saltwater thing but I only add enough so that I can barely taste it.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I used to use it.....when I got them. I'd get really bad canker sores, or definitely worse than my mum or brother.

I'd get 3 or 4 at a time, and sometimes 2 of the 4 were really big. They'd be at maximum pain and irritation for around 7 days, and an additional 7 days if I accidentally, but completely involunarily, bit one. :eek:

I was digging through the internetz, and what I read was that in order to avoid getting canker sores, you need to find out exactly what was causing it. It could be anything, really. Anyway, it took me 22 years of being alive until I realized that it was acidic fruits/foods that did it. I cut out oranges (difficult to do), pineapple, lemons, and limes from my diet, and I think I've had a handful of canker sores over the past 6 years. I'll occasionally have a quarter of an orange or mandarin if someone else is willing to eat the other 3/4ths of it, but otherwise, I avoid them. I'll also have half a kiwi, or a few pieces of pineapple occasionally. I'll drink a quarter glass of orange juice to make myself happy. ;) Since oranges are my favourite fruit, it has been difficult. However, I don't punish myself by cutting those things out entirely.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the cause of your sores are the same as mine, but try it out. ANYTHING that causes irritation (i.e. mouth wash) isn't good for it. In my case, it would make it worse, since Listerine has the effect of, say, 1000 oranges. :eek: When I use mouthwash, I need to use milder mouthwash.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Wash your hands, take a pinch or two of salt and grind it directly into the sore and leave it there. It hurts like crazy but your sore will be gone in a day or two after that, which is much better than dealing with the discomfort for a week or two.

I swear it works, at least it always works for me.

The saltwater trick is similar, but it's too dilute to do much good.

SLC

18. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

In researching this over the weekend, I actually came across a whole bunch of YouTube videos of people putting massive amounts of salt onto their canker sores for their friend's amusement.

I was surprised at how many.

19. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I don't know anything about that, never got into youtube myself. But this always works for me, my mother taught it to me, and my wife's mother taught her the same thing.

SLC

20. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

+1 on Kank-a

...thought it burns like hell when you put it on.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

How do *I* deal with a canker sore? I incessantly mess with it with my tongue, making it take forever to actually go away.

I know it's absolutely the wrong thing to do, but there you go.

22. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Orajel works good. Neosporin and other companies have similar products. It's expensive but it relieves the pain within 10 seconds. Just go to the dental section of your pharmacy. You might also consider putting salt on them. Yes, salt. It hurts like **** but it will desensitize the sore.

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Hey, no pain no gain, salt heals everything......

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It seems to be an Americanism for a mouth ulcer. I always did wonder too.

25. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I thought that was the trick for removing a hickey? Then again, a canker sore is just a really tiny, intense hickey in your mouth anything.

I get them once in a while - clove oil numbs the spot the longest for me. Stings like a wha***ver for about two seconds and then all pain is gone for a while.