how do you delete a TM backup within a TM backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by finsarg, Jul 26, 2013.

1. finsarg macrumors newbie

I have a TM backup that contains another TM backup. I want to delete the backup within the backup but am told I can't delete or modify a backup.bkf file when I try. I can, however, delete other files in the backup.

I have set permissions to everyone can read and write and have an admin account.

Anyone know how I can delete the file?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

All kinds of wrong here.

1. How did you get a TM backup inside a TM backup???

2. Don't use Finder to delete TM backup files.

3. Don't change permissions of a TM backup!!!!!

The correct way to delete a backup is to enter the TM app, select the file/folder and right click. There's an option there to delete it from the archive.

3. gr8tfly, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

backup.bkf is a Windows backup file. If you had the file on the disk that Time Machine made a backup of, then you must use the Time Machine application to retrieve it (restore). As the poster above said, you must not use the Finder to access any file within a Time Machine backup.

The reason you can't use the Finder has to do with the specifics of how Time Machine does incremental backups. You can do a search to find out the details if you're interested (iirc Ars Technica had an in depth article on it when Time Machine was first released). But, in any case, just remember to use the Time Machine app to restore or delete files within your backup.

4. finsarg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both. Very useful information.

The problem I'm having is: I'm getting a kernel panic, after restoring from a TM backup onto a fresh OSX install, and the message “You need to restart your computer”.

The restore says it will take about 8 hours, but finishes after about 20 minutes, and tells me the restore completed successfully and to reboot.

I figured perhaps it was a corrupted file within the backup hence trying to delete files in the backup.

I have since found an Apple KB article (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7214) that may help (not sure why I didn't find it before). I'll follow it's suggestions and see how I go.

Thank you again for your time. I'll let you know how I get on.

5. finsarg thread starter macrumors newbie

Bit of a breakthrough.

Have noticed that the OSX version of the backups is 10.6.8. I have been installing from my 10.5 disk and updating to 10.5.8 which has allowed me to run the restore but is probably what is causing the problems.

I haven't been able to locate my Snow Leopard disk so have ordered a new one.

Hopefully that should sort it.