Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
without the password? Obviously it can be done, but ****ing disk utility has the option shaded. It seems like APPLE is putting this restriction on the user, rather than there being a legitimate technical limitation.

please help

thanks

it seems like apple is placing this **** limitation so only mac users can't erase a locked hard drive to "protect the user". I've about ****ing had it with apple

Last edited:

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Try Windows. Try some USB boot disk (they usually have an option during installing to format HDDs)

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Who did you steal the laptop from?

Edit: do some effing research man. DBAN. Download it. Burn it to a disk. Come on. Lots of hand holding here.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Who did you steal the laptop from?

Edit: do some effing research man. DBAN. Download it. Burn it to a disk. Come on. Lots of hand holding here.

In their documentation about how full disk encryption works, Apple says the biggest problem was users who turn on encryption, enter a password, hard disk is encrypted, and then the user figures out that they have already forgotten the password :mad:

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I'm just wondering why apple block this from their diskutility GUI. it is shaded out and the option to erase an encrypted hard drive isn't there. You can't even mount the locked hard drive. So you have to use terminal to do it why?

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I'm just wondering why apple block this from their diskutility GUI. it is shaded out and the option to erase an encrypted hard drive isn't there. You can't even mount the locked hard drive. So you have to use terminal to do it why?

Maybe to make it harder for thieves to re-use a stolen Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.