How do you feel about the iPhone 6 design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AmazingTechGeek, Aug 12, 2015.

1. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

I enjoy the new rounded, seamless design. The screen is beautiful, yet it feels weird and plastic like because it's thinner and curved. Opinions?

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I tend to agree, but then again I've played with the S6 edge in store and that thing just jumps out of your hand compared to the iPhone 6.

4. techspin macrumors 6502a

Slim form factor, larger display = good
    Camera outie, antenna lines, no sapphire, minimal QC = not so great

5. M@C macrumors member

I wish Apple stayed with the 4" screen and white plastic like the 5c. Love that design and size.

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I haven't had any QC issues with my iPhone but this pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it needs a case. My only real complaint is with the camera that sticks out. Apple should have made the case big enough so the camera didn't need to stick out.

8. MaxBga macrumors regular

MaxBga

I personally really enjoy it. The plastic bands on the back don't bother me, I even think they look pretty great and the phone would look strange without them.

Thin, seems maybe very fragile, but beautifully designed to me.

9. LunarFalcon macrumors member

I still hate the antenna lines, and for me, it's a little too thin. I've gotten used to the rounded edges, but I preferred the soft, squared edges of the 5 and 5s. Those are my only real gripes, though.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

In a black leather Apple case, a space grey (black-screen) iP6 is a stunning piece of industrial design.

30 years ago, back when I was dabbling in industrial design myself (consumer audio products, actually) I remember viewing a "concept" for a futuristic audio system dreamed up by a final-year art school student. It consisted of three or four thin, black glass/perspex panels, about 12 inches square and 1/4 inch thick. They mounted on a wall, side by side like a row of utterly minimalistic picture frames and lit up from behind with all the various controls. It was completely touch driven: None of the shiny knobs or switches that were in vogue for audio products at the time.

It was just a wild-concept back then.

Today, I can not only put a tiny working version of that concept in my pocket, it contains my entire CD collection (500+), a power supply, speakers and accomplishes a truly mind-blowing number of other things that were impossible back then, or even just 10 years ago.

All in a sliver of glass wrapped in leather. Like I said: stunning.

11. AmazingTechGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Does anyone feel as if their screen plate is more shiny compared to those of the 5 series?

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it was a bit thicker and still available in a 4" screen it would be great. As it is it still looks good, but it feels way too thin so I've had to get a case for the 6+ I just got, the first iPhone I've even wanted to put a case on.

13. drivera0717 macrumors newbie

drivera0717

I really enjoy the form factor, if it wasn't for the camera sticking out I would keep it out of the case.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's only "acceptable" in my opinion. I'm hoping the 6 series is a aberration in an otherwise stellar iPhone design history but we'll see. I far prefer the SG Edge design to the 6 but I like iOS.

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

16. eyoungren, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hate the bands. They are fugly. I hate Space Gray. I want black. I dislike the camera sticking out. Other than that I'm ok with my Space Gray 6+.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I like it. Sleekest design so far. The bands on the back don't bother me. It would be nice if the camera didn't protrude but I guess that couldn't be helped, and even a thin case can provide enough lift on the back so that it's not an issue. Also, slate black would have probably looked nicer than Space Grey. I would be willing to take my chances with more visible scratches.

18. febernovo macrumors regular

I think the rounded corners are great yet they add a lot of bezel and make the phone look a little "old school". It is too slippery too.

My biggest problem is the back. I think the antenna lines are horrible, someone said early that it looked like the iPhone was wearing a Jockstrap and I cant take it off my mind now. My biggest problem of this lines is the upper arch, I think that if they were just straight lines it would have had been acceptable.

Protruding camera does not bother me that much. Color options are also weak. I have the current gold version and have to say I much prefer the 5s "champagne" and this year Space Grey is too silver. Not a big fan of this iPhone iteration.

Hope the 6s brings better antenna bands and the new darker shade of Space Grey.

19. Glaxaymixc macrumors newbie

Glaxaymixc

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well I really like the design, better than the 5 and as much as the 4, don't mind the camera or antenna, don't understand the bit about sapphire? I understand the home button and the camera cover are sapphire?

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Well Apple has got it thin to the point hat some are bending it. So a little thicker and stronger might be good for them. As far as antenna lines and the camera outie, my Sedio Surface case tanks care of that.

No way I could use the 6 or 6+ without some kind of case. Way to slippery. Just removing it weekly and cleaning reminds me of how much a case is needed to have a good grip.

To each his own.

22. techspin macrumors 6502a

Yep I use a case also, but I wish I didn't need to if it could lay flush. Seems like they're addressing the issue of people sitting on their phones this go around. Thinner is not always better, but I can appreciate the form factor. I find it very easy to remove from pockets etc.

23. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I have always loved Apple's iPhone hardware. I feel that this is the most gorgeous design compared only to the iP4 when it first came out. I love the hand feel to it, HOWEVER, what I don't like is the bump on the camera, I wish they had some sort of frame that could ensure that if you placed the phone down on its back without a case there would be no risk of contact with the surface or risk of scratches on the lense. I also do not like the giant forehead and chin that the phone has, I feel that it is wasted space, but does provide some nice places to hold the device in the landscape view.

24. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I don't like it tbh. I prefer the 5s to the 6. Screen protectors look like sh*t, the camera is annoying, and it's just far too fragile. I still bought one because I got such a good price on my 5s. the 6 works flawlessly but I still prefer the look and feel of the 5s.

25. Shadowbech macrumors 68040