How Do You Get Movies On An iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alexbradley999, Feb 7, 2008.

1. alexbradley999 macrumors newbie

This might seem like a bit of a noob question, and I did search , but there was nothing to answer my question. My question is how do you get movies (such as 300 and Borat etc) onto your iPod Touch. Thnaks in advance for any feekback.

2. stockcerts macrumors 65816

The way I do it is just drag the movie icon over Itunes (the general movie area). It then copies it and places it in the movie area of Itunes.

3. i305 macrumors newbie

Make sure the movies file is in the right format. such as mp4 or H2.64.If not, then get a video converter which I prefer Total Video Converter. or a free software called Videroa which you could download here :http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod-touch/

Once youR video file is in the correct format for the iPod touch open iTunes go to file>>import,and go to where the video file is located on your PC.Then click on your "Movies" tab in iTunes and your video should be there. Hopefully next time you connect your iPod to your computer if will automatically sync for you, if not.. just go to your movies tab on the side of iTunes and drag the file you which to put on your iPod to the iPod touch/device.

Hope this works for you.

4. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

that is fine for windoze but what is the best way on a mac?

5. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Handbrake.

6. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have a Mac, and the method above works well for me. I convert mine with Handbrake as well. Sometimes Handbrake isn't able to convert certain newer movies that I have.

7. alexbradley999 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Handbrake also

9. andcraig macrumors regular

I already have most of my movies ripped, but in sizes way too large for the touch to handle.
    Is there any way for handbrake to handle files already in .mp4? I looked at iSquint, but it has no setting for the touch/iphone.

Is there any app that does this?

10. alexbradley999 thread starter macrumors newbie

can ayone recommend a good dvd ripper, where I can rip dvd's such as "The Simpsons" on my computer?

11. AppleCrisp macrumors member

I have been using Visual Hub, it's a really good program, and has presets for the iPod Touch and iPhone. The only problem with it is that it is a pay download, you can download a trial, but I think you can only convert 2 minutes worth of a movie. If you're okay with using torrents there are many torrents out there for Visual Hub. It's also pretty fast, it converted 6 episodes of Lost in 55 minutes for me I'd recommend that for what you need.

12. Hook macrumors newbie

The trouble with Videora is that it is adware (and I mean flashing, dancing, singing adware). A much better choice for windows is the excellent freeware VEMoDe. I usually use the free Fair Use Wizard lite to convert from DVD and then use VEMoDe to convert for iTunes.

13. Welches macrumors newbie

Anyone using handbrake. can you tell me what output dimensions you are using?

i read that 320 width was correct. but when i do that and put it on my ipod, a portion of the right and left side is cut off. i even made it slightly smaller with no luck. the movie is widescreen so the final output dimension i had was 304 x 128 and this still did not work.

Anybody able to help?

14. Brian513A macrumors member

DVDFab Platinum.

15. alexbradley999 thread starter macrumors newbie

can you get free rippers, cos money is a bit tight at the moment

16. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Handbrake for DVD ripping, iSquint for file converting (if you're on a Mac).

The width should be 480px, the height is 320.

17. mechler macrumors member

Of course, you're making legal backup copies of DVDs you own, right? (don't answer that)

If you're on a PC: DVDShrink or DVDFab Decrypter (the free version of DVDFab Platinum)

For Mac, I've heard Mac the Ripper is the best way to go.

I just started using Handbrake, but only for video conversion. Do you guys use the Iphone/touch defaults, or do you tweak them?

EDIT: For the PC, DVDFab Decrypter usually has the most up-to-date decryption. If other programs are having problems, try this next.

18. Liebo11 macrumors member

interesting thing with the handbrake size output for the iPod touch . . . today i noticed while i was watching gladiator the width was cut off a little when i had it on the full screen because when i tapped to make it smaller the screen showed about 20-30% more . . . but this confuses me a bit as my handbrake is set to "ipod touch" mode or whatever??? I guess i'll start manually doing 480px by 320? Any input would be cool thanks . . .

19. mechler macrumors member

aspect ratios

This is an issue that comes up when people buy a widescreen tv for the first time and they find that there are still black bars at the top and bottom of their tvs when playing certain DVDs. The problem is that movies are filmed in all sorts of different aspect ratios (width of the screen/height of the screen). The aspect ratio of the Ipod Touch screen is 480/320 = 1.5:1. A widescreen tv is 16:9 or 1.77778:1. The Simpsons movie, which I just put on my IPT, has an aspect ratio of 2.4:1. What this means is that there are larger black bars on the top and bottom of the picture, or you can use the "full-screen" mode which will cut off the picture on both sides.

As far as I know, there is no way to get around this if you want to see the picture as the film maker intended. Of course, if I'm wrong, please let me know. I'd love to fill up the screen without losing some of the picture!

20. the game macrumors newbie

guys i am using handbrake and it only downloads like a portion of the movie any idea why?

21. mechler macrumors member

Do you mean you're getting only part of the movie, or you're getting the movie but not the menus, extras, etc?

If you pick the title that corresponds with main movie (it's usually the longest one), then it should do just that.

Is it giving you any errors? What movie are trying?

22. the game macrumors newbie

ive got the longest one selected but i would say its only giving me the first twenty minutes of the movie, its the notebook and i was wondering is it maybe because its a newer movie maybe???

23. mechler macrumors member

OK, are you using Handbrake to decrypt/rip the movie? If so, I would try ripping the movie first with one of the programs I mentioned above. It's possible that Handbrake can't handle the encryption. The only other reason I can think of is that the disc is corrupt or damaged.

Let me know if this helps.

24. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Good info here, I'll be getting an iPod Touch soon and it's a good thing I already use Handbrake. Woot!

25. the game macrumors newbie

hey mechler i downloaded mac the ripper and when i open it the disk utility window comes up any idea why??