Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, I don't have any experience with Mac the Ripper since I'm a PC user (hopefully not too much longer). I would recommend checking out the forums at doom9.org. They can help you with just about anything.

Sorry I can't help.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
so whats the consensus here for file converting? Visual Hub or iSquint? And don't factor in the fact that Visual Hub is a pay download.. in terms of pure speed and quality which wins out?

Liebo11

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
ok . . . so i set the thing to 480px by 320 and it looks way to long height wise for the ipod touch screen. The reason i changed the settings at all is because gladiator was cut off when making the screen size bigger . . . so i really feel like 480px by 320 isn't right because sleepers looks off a lot . . . any help?

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Liebo - this response was directed for you. Did it not clarify the issue? In summary, there is no way that I know of to get a full-screen picture without cropping some of the data.

This is an issue that comes up when people buy a widescreen tv for the first time and they find that there are still black bars at the top and bottom of their tvs when playing certain DVDs. The problem is that movies are filmed in all sorts of different aspect ratios (width of the screen/height of the screen). The aspect ratio of the Ipod Touch screen is 480/320 = 1.5:1. A widescreen tv is 16:9 or 1.77778:1. The Simpsons movie, which I just put on my IPT, has an aspect ratio of 2.4:1. What this means is that there are larger black bars on the top and bottom of the picture, or you can use the "full-screen" mode which will cut off the picture on both sides.

As far as I know, there is no way to get around this if you want to see the picture as the film maker intended. Of course, if I'm wrong, please let me know. I'd love to fill up the screen without losing some of the picture!

Liebo11

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
i understand it was directed towards me but quite frankly . . . its wrong . . . the 480 by 320 is just to tall for the widescreen where as the actors are stretched out too long . . . it looked better set just to the prefixed "ipod touch" thing . . . if i'm wrong tell me

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Ok, we're not on the same page here. I'm just explaining why some of the picture is being cut off when you have it in full-screen, or why there are black bars on the top and bottom if you don't. I guess you never mentioned that you have the black bars when you are watching Gladiator, but I'm assuming you do when you're not in full-screen.

I just looked it up, and the aspect ratio of Gladiator is 2.35:1. So this means that at a set width of 480 pixels, the picture will be about 204 pixels high. Therefore, each of the black bars will be 58 pixels high on top and bottom. Also, if you set the height at 320 pixels, then the picture should be about 752 pixels wide. If I'm doing my math correctly, 136 pixels are being cut off from each side when you are watching Gladiator in full-screen mode.

Now, I'm guessing that Handbrake, or any other encoder, is setting the width of the picture at 480. It leaves the height as a variable based on whatever the aspect ratio of the source is. If you are manually setting both the width and height (480x320) for a source that is not in that proportion, then screwy things are going to happen. Namely, the picture will be distorted.

The moral of the story is that you should leave the default "Iphone/Ipod Touch" setting alone as far as the width/height is concerned. Yes, this will cause black bars or cropping of the picture, depending how you're viewing it. But the picture will not be distorted.

Now let me caveat this by saying that I've used Handbrake for all of two days. What I wrote is based on what I think is correct. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Liebo11

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
ok mechler i believe we're seeing eye to eye now . . . my question now is that if i know the aspect ratio of the specific movie is there a way i can set the ratio manually on handbrake instead of using the default to make sure that the full screen mode isn't cut off?

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
As far as I know there is no way to do that without losing some of the picture. However, a movie filmed in 1.78:1 (16:9) will have less picture cut off in full-screen mode than Gladiator (2.35:1) does. I don't think any movies are filmed in 1.5:1, but if there are, it will fill the screen without any picture loss.

The problem is that if the picture is not in it's intended ratio, it will be distorted. For me, that's a deal breaker. Personally, when I watch a standard tv signal (4:3) on my widscreen tv (16:9), I don't use full-screen mode or any of the other numerous settings that tv manufacturers have programmed on their sets. All of those settings either crop (cut-off) the picture, or distort it to fit the whole screen. You would be doing the same thing to the movie you're watching if you try to change the ratio.

As you've noticed, Handbrake will do whatever you want to the picture. Stretch it, squish it, etc. There may be some slick settings that minimize the cropping or distortion, but I don't know. For me, I just leave it on default because I like seeing the picture as it was meant to be.

I have no idea why Apple decided to go with a screen that has a 1.5:1 ratio instead of a more standard 16:9, but I'm sure that they have their reasons.

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I just looked it up, and the aspect ratio of Gladiator is 2.35:1...136 pixels are being cut off from each side when you are watching Gladiator in full-screen mode.

I think I'm wrong here. I just converted a movie that is probably 2.35:1 and the full-screen mode still leaves black bars, albeit smaller ones. Full-screen mode must be "zooming in" a set amount regardless of the aspect ratio of the film. It looks like a 16:9 movie will have no bars, but anything higher than that will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.