How do you guys like your displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clyde2801, Oct 30, 2008.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Got a new mb, love the design, etc., but I am noticing a distinct washout on the display, not to mention it doesn't handle darks very well.

I've got the option of having the display replaced, swapping for a new mb, and crossing my fingers, or ponying up the difference for a new MBP with no restocking fee.

I'm tempted to get the MBP, but I'm wondering what all of you think about your displays. Are yours better? Or are we being whiny over on the MB side of the house?

2. blurfonz macrumors regular

I simply love the display... The gloss ... Love it. Color wise is good :)

3. kis macrumors 65816

I hate the glare and colors aren't natural. I've only had it for a bit more than an hour - hope I'll get used to it before the return period is over, otherwise it's going back.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Take it back. They look awful.

5. Fus3r macrumors newbie

I'm no pro or videophile or whathaveyou but I deeply enjoy the screen. I don't do any editing of the sort so that's probably one of the reasons. However, I come from a history of 2 glossy displays (dell xps gen 2 and another dell inspiron) and I have to say, hands down this is the best display I've seen (Macbook Pro). I think I picked a good time to make the jump!

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I love the new MBP display. It's the first time since the introduction of the MBP line that I have a screen with which I am 100% satisfied.

7. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I liked it just fine from the beginning, but thanks to thread with color profiles, the colors and contrast are even better. Love the screen.

8. blurfonz macrumors regular

9. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

This.

It took me about 2 days to get used to the glass. Now when I go back to my old powerbook all the colors are dull. Its an odd feeling.

10. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

I am still waiting for my MBP to arrive, but I am afraid for the glossy display. How reflective is it? I plan to use the thin onstage as a synthesizer server, and quite logically there is a lot of bright lights... Will I be able to see something?

What's your experience with glossy and bright lights?

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

It's a modern cultural phenomenon...

It's like commercials or the movies... they have to put so much movement, flash, color and sound into such a short space of time, or the consumer gets bored. Or loads of salt and flavor enhancers in fast food, or oversaturated colors as the default for most digital cameras. Our senses have become jaded, and just like junkies or drug addicts, the stuff we like today will soon seem dull, and need another dose of intensity... just to seem normal. Modern society is afflicting everyone with ADD...;) I just hope we don't forget how to recognize subtlety in the future.

BTW: I'm glad you like your new MB screen. :)

12. andothfc macrumors regular

While there's no denying the glass is reflective (the review pictures show this) I can honestly say that not once have I noticed a reflection in the course of using the display.

It's an amazing display - easily the best I've seen.

A lot of people just like to complain - they think it marks them out as learned; I would think the vast majority of users will see this as the great panel it is.

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Also, don't forget to try SuperCal to calibrate your display if you don't have any of the fancy calibration gizmos. I really like the profile I got from using it, far better than the defaults

14. aaeyers macrumors newbie

I just switched from a 2 year old Macbook to the new unibody MPB, and the difference between the displays is incredible. Compared to the MPB, my Macbook display is horribly yellow, and the MPB is much brighter, crisper. But the biggest difference is that I have almost no noticeable backlight washout at 3/4 brightness on my MPB. I am in love with the display on my new MPB, it is worth the upgrade to the Pro model for the upgraded display alone.

15. Apple addict macrumors member

IMHO get the MPB

I also had the new MB and felt the same way as you about the screen, washout and darks. I returned the MB. I thought it might have been just that particular MB so I went to the Apple store and compared other MB (5) and they all demonstrated the same issues.

I now have the new 2.4 MBP and the screen much better than the MB.

Gary

16. i0Nic macrumors 65816

+1
    Same situation as me, I have the exact same sentiments. Love this display on this MBP, I used to connect my old macbook to my 20" ACD all the time now I don't bother.

17. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have read the comments regarding the MB displays and the washed out colors. It's simply the difference between a $1300 and a $2000 machine. The MBP has the same 9400 graphics card plus the 9600 card. I have the new MBP and will admit that it takes some getting used to. After 15 years of matte displays, I can best describe the glossy as looking wet. The reflections are not bad as you can simply change the angle or move the computer to improve the view. If you work on location you will probably benefit from one of the hoods that are available.

18. Chiloé macrumors newbie

I think it looks great as well. The colors are really vibrant and I've had no glare issues whatsoever.

19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I LOVE the new MacBook Pro screen. It is simply stunning.

20. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I went to the Apple store and hated the new glassy screen so much, I couldn't buy, even though I've been waiting for a couple of years for a new MBP.

The glassy screen ought to be seen before purchase. It is worse in my opinion (shared by engadget and other computer site reviews) than the old glossy screens, although matte is my choice.

If you like looking at your own reflection more than at what you're working on, you'll love the new glassy screen.

Here's hoping the new 17 will have matte.

21. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I dont know why so many people hates the glass display. It is the best screen ever. Maybe clarity wise, there are better LCDs but the idea of having glass is just amazing! I'm no longer afraid to touch the screen and it is so much easier to clean the display.

As far as the glare on the glass, I don't have much problems. If you keep the brightness up, the clare is practically gone. This includes using it directly from the sun light.

I love it!

22. Rotara macrumors member

Late MacBook Pro

BIG problem with the hinge.

Does anyone here like using their MBP's lying down on the couch or in bed?
    To catch up with chums online or to send that last email or even just to watch some mpegs / DVD's etc?

Well, you can't anymore or at least you can't very easily.

A combination of a weak hinge and the increased weight of the screen means if you hold the unit up any further than 45 degrees the screen will 'flop' down.

REALLY REALLY ANNOYING....

You end up having to 'prop' the screen which becomes very tedious after a while.

23. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Really?? I've been using mine in bed for the past two weeks. I use mine on an inclined passive cooler, and I don't have any problems with the screen closing. Sure it closes if tilted at an extreme angle, but this is way beyond any angle most people would use it at.

24. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Does anyone know what type of Panel is in the new MBP? I have read TN in a couple threads but that surprises me greatly as nice as it looks...

25. TheHoff macrumors 6502

definitely TN; 9C84 (from LG or Samsung) and 9C85 (from Chimei)