How do you guys like your iPad Mini 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Jan 29, 2016.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We still have an older non Retina, 30 Pin iPad Mini, and are thinking about upgrading to the iPad Mini 4.

Overall, how do you guys like it compared to the older versions?

Thank you,
    M

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

30 pin mini? That can't be right. All minis have lightning connectors!

In any case, I've only seen the Mini4 in stores, because I can't justify buying it over the iPhone 6, but I think it's a very cool device, and a huge improvement over the original mini. Almost the same internals and display as the Air2, but in a smaller body.

3. TitanicManDC macrumors member

TitanicManDC

I love my mini 4. It is incredibly light and thin and can be taken anywhere. The 2GBs of ram is worth the upgrade on its own. I can actually have more than 2 tabs open in Safari and use split screen multitasking. Overall performance is snappy and quick. The only bit of lag is when opening proactive, though that is on pretty much every iOS 9 device. The retina screen is amazing and the color gamut is so much better than the previous mini and is up to par with the full size iPads. I obviously love my mini 4 :)

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't have an iPad mini 4. I have an iPad mini 2 and an iPad Air 2, and TitanicManDC is right. The 2GB of RAM alone is worth getting it if you want a mini. My iPad mini 2 reloads Safari tabs constantly. The iPad Air 2 does it far less.

5. LCPepper macrumors regular

LCPepper

I have always loved the Minis. I had the original one then went to the iPad Air, which was a mistake really... Never used it as much, didn't really work as well due to its RAM constraints.

When the Mini 4 came out, I got it straight away. It's just amazing to take everywhere. Chuck it in a bag, carry it, or hide it under your coat- things you can't do with an iPad Air (or Pro).

One thing I will mention is iOS 9 and multitasking. I think I'm more in love with that than the Mini form factor. The iPad in general now is so much more powerful (even on the smaller screen size).

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Agreed. I have the mini 1 with Lightning connector. I also have the mini 4 which is my main iPad. The screen, speed, and memory upgrades make for a pretty fantastic device.

A.

7. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I upgraded from the mini 2 and I love the mini 4. It so thin, lightweight and fast and very portable.

8. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

You're right!

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Mini 4 is a very good iPad. Display is fantastic.

I think I'll be keeping this and adding the new one.

10. ACG12 macrumors 6502

I dont have any experience with the older mini's, but I do have experience with A5 processor phones. It is a night and day difference, performance wise. Build quality is excellent and finally getting 2gb of RAM really helps with multi-tasking.

11. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I love my iPad mini 4. Just small enough to fit in a suit jacket pocket, yet just big enough to comfortably view pdfs, it goes everywhere with me. With it's extra memory, faster processor, and retina screen, I think the mini 4 is a great upgrade to the original mini.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I love my Mini 4. It's the iPad I've been waiting for.

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I do a lot of traveling and my iPad Mini 4 is just great for that!

14. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I very much enjoy my Mini 4. My iPhone 6 is great, but the iPad experience is simply more fulfilling and enjoyable.

15. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It's great - the perfect size, and the perfect companion to my iPhone 6S Plus. Apple has finally addressed the color gamut issues that plagued the earlier iPad Mini versions... I'd recommend it highly if you are looking for a new 7.9" iPad.

16. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I returned mine as I just didn't have a practical use for it. That being said, I had no complaints either. It was responsive, compact, and extremely elegant. I just couldn't find a place for it in my life.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't have a Mini 4 but I have an Air 2 and also bought a LG G Pad F 8.0 2 weeks ago. I find Lillopop 5.0 getting better and love how PIP works. iOS has long way to catch up.

18. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Love my mini 4....went back to my ipad 4 and its so heavy....it feels like a Ipad Pro now.....

19. DJTaurus, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I sold most of my iPads after some months. iPad 2 and the first mini didn't have great screens. iPad 3 was heavy and 4 was getting warm after a while. iPad mini 2 still didn't have a great screen and it was lacking a fluid iOS cause to mediocre hardware. I always was getting back to my Mac. I skipped iPad Air 2 and went with the mini 4 cause i still prefer the smaller form. If iPad Air 3 will be even lighter and with smaller bezels I will consider it. The point with mini 4 is that it's the first iPad that has significantly reduced my Mac usage. I didn't know how it happend but over the last months I was getting bored in opening my Mac. I use it mostly when I want to download movies tv series and music. The reason is 2gb of ram on mini 4 and the difference it has made on the OS experience. It is so helpful to wake your device from sleep and found YouTube videos/in generally safari tabs not having auto refreshed. Multitask works fluently, pip is a game changer (check out Cornertube), screen is awesome which also helps with small fonts, apps don't auto refresh and keyboard is responsive (not on iPhone levels yet but improved). Those small diferences from the added ram have made a huge difference. I know that Apple would never open the file system unfortunately but my wish list for ios10 is multiuser accounts, audio to be playable from more sources simultaneously, enhanced copy and paste actions with more accuracy and even more ram on future iPads. At last i want to add that despite its ridiculous price the silicon Apple case on mini 4 is by far the best case I ve ever used on any Apple product. Perfect fit and finish with soft touch. Love it.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

My mini 4 was great and only reason I’m selling it due to not wanting to have a plus, mini and the pro. So I have decided to sell it with my air to fund the pro. Great for on the go but I felt I used my phone less which isn’t the reason I got the plus. So the 6S plus and the pro is all I need and I think size wise that will do me.

21. chanerz macrumors 6502a

I love my mini. I use it when flying my DJi Phantom 3 Pro.

22. meistervu macrumors 65816

I have a Macbook Pro connected to a 27" 4K display at comfortable desk with a comfy chair at home, so the bigger iPad Air that I have doesn't really add much. My kid use it when she is allowed to watch a movie from time to time.

The Mini 4 on the other hand is a different animal. It's small and light enough to feel more like a hand held device for book reading, emailing, browsing, etc. when I feel like doing it while sitting in bed or on the sofa.

I was going to upgrade from the Air 1 to the Air 2, and sell the Air 1, then I realized that I don't use the Air 1 that much, and perhaps the Mini 4 would be more suitable for me. That turned out to be the correct assumption.

23. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Would you upgrade from the mini 3 to the mini 4 , is it worth it ?

24. dwfaust, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

That's your call. I did update from the Mini 2 to the 4. The biggest difference between the 2 and the 3 was TouchID. I sold my Mini 2 and bought a Mini 4.

25. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I upgraded last year from the Mini 2 to the Mini 3 because of touch id . What I actually wanted to know is if there's a huge difference between 3 and 4 .