How do you handle strangers asking to use your cell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazedxar, Oct 14, 2013.

1. dazedxar macrumors member

I always let them use it, but I have to dial the number for them to make sure they need to make a call.

With how expensive iphones are, I would guess no one here allow any strangers to use their phone.

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I don't, I carry change so I'd give like 50 cents and direct them to a pay phone. :D

Better to lose 50 cents vs $700+ dollar (depending which phone you have)

3. dazedxar thread starter macrumors member

Lol do you live in middle America? There are no payphones in my state anymore (California)

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Nope SoCal.

But to be honest last time someone asked was about a year go now. When it did though there was a pay phone within eye sight.

5. Xerotech macrumors 6502

I rarely let people use my phone. If it is someone around campus, sure, but not a complete stranger. They can run with it and it is game over for you.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

"You don't want my phone. I have a communicable disease."

7. DowdyFick macrumors regular

I have my phone out in my hand most of the day. In 4 years I've never had a stranger ask to use my phone.... Maybe I'm scary :eek:

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I let a lady on the bus (no way for her to escape :) ) use my corporate issued HTC 8500 and I hated every second of it. There is no way I'd hand my phone to a *random* stranger regardless of whether it was a $20 flip phone or an iPhone. Of course if it was someone at the office I didn't know or a Vendor or anything that created a level of responsibility and obligation I'd hand it over in a heartbeat (and have).

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Never been asked by a stranger. If I was, I would tell them no, like how I tell beggars no.

There are too many land lines in businesses that they can ask to use. Not going to hand over a sub 1000 dollar device and risk it being ran off with

Friends or coworkers are different....for obvious reasons

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Would you let a stranger borrow your car? I can't see under any circumstance giving my phone to a stranger to make a call. If it's an emergency, I will make the call for them.

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Never been asked. But I had to take a test recently at my college in the testing center for the first time. Didn't realize I wouldn't be allowed to bring my backpack or cell phone in. So, I had to leave it in another office in a closet, where other students had left their things. Made me a bit worried about it being taken. I was glad I didn't have my computer with me.

12. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

I work as a tutor, and kids ask for my phone to call their parents plenty of times. When I had an iPhone 5, i would give it out like candy, but it's different for my 5S.

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

14. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I always tell them I use it as an iPod touch or tell them I don't have a SIM card in the phone.

15. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Not a chance. If its an emergency i'll call for them. Other wise they can get their own phone.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Not an issue. Nobody ever asks me.

I would say no, however.

I'm not mean. I'd place a call FOR someone in an emergency. I'd put'em on speaker. Nobody's gonna take possession of my valuables, though.

17. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

I understand your situation... but otherwise no way in hell am I giving someone my phone.

18. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

There's still people out there that walk around without a cell phone?!

19. justiny Contributor

justiny

I have to apologize to the OP, as my intention isn't to hijack the thread...

But would anyone in this forum ever ASK to use a stranger's mobile phone?

I was at an international airport baggage claim and someone I didn't know asked, albeit politely, to use my phone for a phone call.

I told him my battery was dying (yeah, I lied). But I replied kindly in return.

I was kind of appalled of someone walking around a baggage claim with no luggage asking to borrow a cell phone to make a call. :confused:

20. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Actually one time I was helping my girlfriend with her car and accidentally left my phone on her car (the roof) and I used iMessage on my MBP to text her. After that we agreed to meet up a few blocks away as she was already on her way to work. When I got there she was no where to be found - so I had to ask a bunch of people to use their phone. Only 1 guy said yes and he dialed the number himself and held the phone towards me and put it on speakerphone (smart move on his part since he didn't know me and I don't know him). I appreciated his help because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to find her.

My gf was actually just down the street because she was trying to track down my phone (it fell off the roof of her car and was on the middle of the street by my house during rush hour traffic). She ran out and got it and it was undamaged - crazy good Slim Armor case!

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

your students/parents aren't exactly strangers now, are they?

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The last time a stranger asked me was four years ago.

It all depends on the stranger, the last one I helped was an old lady, so yeah I don't think she would have gone running w/ the phone. A younger person w/out a phone is sketchy in this day and age.

----------

I never tell beggars 'no' anymore. I find the mouthing from inside my closed window of "Sorry, I don't have change" seems to work much better. One time a beggar said that he appreciated the sorry.

23. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Like others have said if it was an emergency I would make the call for them. I wouldn't just had my expensive phone over to a complete stranger.

24. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Who DOESN'T have a phone now a days?

25. snowcrash macrumors regular

snowcrash

Just curious on why it would be different between a 5 and a 5S?