How do you know when you need a laptop?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bluedoggiant, Apr 11, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Can someone tell me when you should need one? Is it necessary to get a laptop if you only WANT one, not NEED one?

And has anyone had issues with syncing their laptop's with their desktops? I know about chronosync.

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I imagine that a lot of people who have laptops don't need them as such... they just appeal as they are compact and attractive.

You need a laptop if portability is important to you - or if its compact size fits better in a limited space than a desktop might, if not its more of an antistatic thing and as Mac users we can all appreciate that.

Films make Laptops look cool and sexy therefore desirable. They tend to be more expensive with less performance though this is less of a problem than it used to be.

Need or want, its up to you :)

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If you travel a lot and need your computer is one obvious reason. But other than that I think it comes to personal preference. I thought I'd never want a laptop, but after getting my MB I think I'll stay with laptops. Even though I don't travel, and rarely take it out of my room, I think it's nice to have. Veg out on my bed, on the couch, and the occasional trip to the coffee shop is worth it for me.

There's a little trade off, ~power, ~screen size, money... and some other stuff. Your choice.

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

How about for college? I'm guessing a laptop is a serious necessity correct? I mean taking a computer to the coach is great, and to the kitchen and what not, but is it worth it, im testing that right now with the family macbook, i dont think its worth it, my imac serves me fine, i take the family macbook (in the sig) to school for work, i need a laptop for school, but not sure if i really need my own cuz the family one is fine.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

TBH I don't know why I've still got my PowerBook, but to answer that it's because it was my first Apple computer and don't want to part with it. I only use it for the internet and email when I'm on the move.

Now it was really useful for college and university but I've found no real need for it since graduating. It is quite useful for taking care of my iMac when something is wrong (cheers Firewire!).

I'll probably sell it in a few months and either buy a 3G iPhone or a MacBook.

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

3G iPhone or a MacBook? two different things ($400-500 vs $1000+) lol

Yeah, a laptop will be a definite in college.

Do you think for college, I should get:

MacBook And iMac

MacBook Pro and External Display?

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

When you start considering an iLugger.

Really ask yourself, do I need portability?

I personally don't like the idea of a laptop as my main machine. I have far too much media and like the advantages of screen real estate and HDD space that the desktop provides. Desktops certainly get you more specs for your dollar. Now as a 2nd machine an MB, MBA or even MBP is certainly a good idea given your needs and budget.

8. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

iLugger? I don't think I will be lagging it around campus in that bag lol

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What? You mean they aren't the same thing? le shock!

Basically I just need a device to connect to the internet when I'm at friends, work or my girlfriends place. Internet anywhere (iPhone) is a big, big bonus. Plus I don't need all that power of a MB since I have portable game systems and leave the big apps to my iMac. Plus the size difference is quite immense to say I'll be using both machines for the same tasks.

BTW that's £320+630 contract, or £700+price of a new phone+contract.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Neither, get a Macbook and spend the rest on books and beer.

Having 2 computers in college is a waste of time. You're not even going to have time to use one, let alone two.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Now this guy is talking some truth!
    Beer is very important in college, definitely more important than a 2nd computer. The use of a laptop these days more than supplements for a desktop machine, but the age old question for youngin's is do you need it or simply want it? It's the most cliche of questions, but usually the answer is that you want it. Save your cash man, you'll realize lugging a laptop around town is not as romantic as it may seem in your mind. They do get heavy in your backpack and syncing two machines is a pain in the ass.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Drink beer. :)

13. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Why have two if the original one works? I can understand a desktop and a laptop (which I have)...but two laptops...why?

My rule of thumb: you need a new laptop when
    A: your current laptop no longer works or
    B: your current laptop no longer has the ability to run the software that you want to use (completely or at a reasonable speed).

14. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Agreed, two machine's would be a waste of time, you go to college to learn, thats what I thought, so I guess in college (for now), I'm set to get a MacBook Pro+External Monitor. I would need a laptop for lagging around campus. but for now, freshman in highschool, i will keep my imac, and use the family 2.2 macbook for taking to school as im doing now. I don't i NEED a laptop.

Not agreed lol.

Well, MacBook is not an option, i need SOME power AT LEAST for my video work. i have 2.8 for a reason.

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Wait....what? You're only a freshman in HS?!? Dude, getting a wee bit ahead of yourself there aren't you? By the time you're in college you'll be able to buy a HologramBook with a 15GHz processor and 9Tereabytes of RAM. MacBooks will only exist in the Smithsonian and you'll go to see them by using your Telepathy iPod.

16. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So if I put my Laptop in the dryer with my clothes they won't stick together?

17. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

LMAO!!!

No, I use the family macbook in HS now, its used in LA class. not getting ahead of myself :p.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So you're not a freshman?

19. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i am, freshman HS

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You should consider yourself lucky then. I'm also a freshman, and we aren't allowed to bring our computers, you use what the school provides, or you're out of luck.

I sort of downgraded from an Intel mini to an iBook G4, but I'm fairly happy with the switch. While I would prefer a desktop to compliment the iBook, portability is an issue for me now, so I'll use this iBook until I can afford a desktop, then only use it when I need portability. That's really the best choice, IMO.

If you're happy using the family MB, and they don't mind, I don't think you need to spend the money to get one of your own.

21. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

When your addiction for sites like MacRumors, Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, etc. grows to the point you end up going into libraries to use their internet.

22. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Haha, not even close, but interesting.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not even close to being a neccessity in college from my experience

but that may change in 4 years when you go to college

i say cross that bridge when you need to cross it....

24. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

when you have to ask yourself, internet or movie upstair son your tv.... thats when you need one because then you know how to fix it, LAPTOP, you can do it both at the same time, time is money, so in teh long run a laptop will save you money....LOL im jokking i dunno, i think if you travel a lot ro always need ot be doing works that require the comp... it s nto a necessity for school but it certainly makes things smoother...like doing work in between classes and such.. or doing homework while you are in vacations, or on a getaway weekend ...

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well you do have much to learn in college, but not what you think. When you get to college, you'll learn that you don't go to college to learn (academics at least). :p

I'm a comm studies major.. used both macbooks and mbps for editing.. the macbook runs great. Besides, if you're going to school for that, you'll have access to edit suites and studios at school if you need a ton of power for editing something (though I don't know of anything that a student would be doing that a Macbook couldn't do).

I don't really see the need for one in high school. Its great for college however. I bring mine to my boring classes so I can read ESPN, digg, etc and talk on AIM when I'm bored. Plus you can bring your laptop to friends' rooms, to the library if you need to do work, etc. Oh, and dorm rooms are tiny so any space you can save by not having a desktop is a plus.