Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Dude, I don't understand why you keep asking all these questions I've already tried answering for you. If you don't need a laptop now, don't get one. Wait until you're in college and by that time the iMac will be outdated and you'll be able to upgrade to a MacBook Pro or whatever Apple is selling at that time. I understand its hard to make up your mind on what to get, but asking all of these questions isn't really going to help you and it will be harder to make up your mind. I suggest saving up all your money and at the end of it, decide what you want to do.

To answer you question, again, I really prefer being able to take my computer with me. Sure having the iMac is nice, but the MacBook is the perfect machine for somebody like me who really likes to lay in bed or set in a comfortable chair and use a computer. I took mine to school today so instead of using a crappy Windows machine, I was able to use the MacBook.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I will tell you right now 2 computers for one person means only one computer will ever get used. I owned a desktop and a laptop though most of my college career. Guess what I only really used one of them. I built my desktop my 2nd year after I transfered to Tech. The laptop got pushed to the 2ndary computer that I did not do much work on.

Hell my last 2 years of college I hardly used my laptop at all. It was all desktop work.

Now advantage of the laptop is it does let you move around but it comes at a price. it cost more for less power and less hard drive space. Also you lose upgradeable (sorry that is more limited to PCs. I refused to buy and apple Desktop) With Macs the desktop offer more bang for the buck but no real transportablelity.

As for my laptop it got pushed for me to be what I took home on breaks to use. I did write some of my papers on them but in the end that moved to the desktop. Mostly because it was just more conformable to work at my desk than else where in the apartment/house.

If you do not need portablity the laptop is a waste of money.

That being said I do own a macbook now and my PC desktop. My PC desktop is my main computer because I like the larger screen, larger hard drive space, Keyboard and stuff. My macbook is in my living room where I use it when I watch TV or play my 360 but for the most part it sits unused. It just can not handle any of my games.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Dude, he's just a freshman in HS and is talking about what he needs for college. He's getting waaay ahead of himself. Like I said, in the year 2012 when you finally get to college ring us up at MR to get our opinion.
I know that sounds like a long time but believe me, HS flies by.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
I've got a macbook pro here at uni with my because being a media arts and design major I need to be able to access adobe cs3 and final cut pro from home to do editing since the lab only has like 40 mac pros and theres too many people that need to use them.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
As others have said, you got time. Wait. By then many things change, including the types of Lappys available. They will be faster, larger HD's ect. Save your penny's till then. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.