how do you lock your macbook retina ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Aug 7, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Are there any reliable safe locks for the macbook retina ? I saw an option but it causes damage to the screen if not used correctly. And I already have a case on my macbook retina.

2. canderton macrumors member

A much easier solution would be something called a password lock which every macbook pro has built in.

3. anonymous4a, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

When travelling, I'm afraid of my laptop being stolen physically. Just want a lock to deter someone from stealing a laptop.

4. leman macrumors 604

Don't leave it unattended? Or are your travels of a nature where you must leave your computer somewhere for prolonged periods of time?

5. Bdudney665 macrumors newbie

If I were you get a backpack and master lock to lock the zippers.. That's what I do with my ipad to keep others from stealing it, and it's always with you

6. Sammorama macrumors newbie

Just stick it under the mattress in your hotel, otherwise, carry it with you.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but that's probably the first place thieves will look. There's little you can do to physically secure the laptop while traveling. The advice to keep it with you when ever feasible is about the best.

8. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Checkout maclocks website...

9. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Thunderbolt -> kensington lock :D

or do like me, keep it in a bag you have with you everywhere ;-)

10. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

you can always buy one of those sweet briefcases that have the handcuff and chain built into the handle and then just handcuff it to your hand...however you will always need to be weary of someone carrying a sharp enough machete that could cut your hand off....other than that you should be good.

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

i feel ya, i am moving to Barcelona for 4 months in 3 weeks and i am already terrified just to get my macbook pro retina safely from the airport to the apartment without getting robbed.

12. redkamel macrumors 6502

My advice for traveling with laptops/valuables

1. Don't take your laptop anywhere it doesn't need to go.
    2. If you take your laptop, it stays on you, in a bag that does not look like a laptop bag.
    3. Walk through nicer areas
    4. Electronic safe: if you are moving, buy, if you are visiting, use the hotels safe. If you buy one, its about $80 but its a lot better than a cable lock, can secure other valuables, is fire proof, and its faster to put it in and out of there than detach and retach cables. Not to mention, its easier to remember whether its in the safe than if its locked up (for me at least). And its not visible in there.
    5. If visiting, stay in a nice hotel. Its more expensive, but you are less likely to be robbed. There is usually somewhere in the room a laptop fits (behind the ironing board, under the socks, in a drawer under a bunch of stuff/wrapped in towels. If you can't hide/don't trust the hotel, take it with you in one of those backpacks that has a laptop slot. No one will know you have it, just make sure you don't get robbed.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Funny I travel internationally extensively and never worry. Just use common sense, don't buy flashy designer computer bags, don't leave the computer unattended in public places, don't leave your bags out of sight when travelling.

Thief's are commonly opportunists, so don't give them that opportunity. One thing I do when I travel is link my bags together and to chairs, trolleys etc with two carabiner`s and a short piece of rope. Thieves at airports look for the distracted and distressed only needing very few seconds to make off with a laptop bag, equally it only takes seconds to link up the bags making it impossible for anyone to quickly snatch one specific bag without being caught...

Another tip is to make your baggage as conspicuous as possible, red, green tape etc, thief`s like to blend in, not standout. With my checked bags I tape them up, making them far more visible and far less attractive to the average thief...