How Do You Manage Your HDDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pdechavez, Dec 28, 2010.

1. pdechavez, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

pdechavez macrumors regular

Lets say I have a stock 250GB HDD and a 1TB HDD. How would YOU personally manage it? Example, Where would you install OSX, applications, music, movies, workfiles and so on?

I just want to get an idea =)

Edit: You don't have to be limited to the options above. It can be X amount of TB storage.

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

well it depends on speed needs. if your 250gb is a 7200rpm hdd and is pretty fast i would use it for osx.

I would also partition the 1tb hdd with a 250gb partition that is a clone of the 250gb osx. that way I can be able to boot and recover very fast. the 750gb partition would have my files. To be honest I would most likely want a third drive as an extra backup.

3. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent Suggestion, Philipma1957! Anyone else wanna share their take?

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

In researching SSD drives and regular drives, I quickly learned that you should buy a larger drive than you need:
    http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-WhyYouNeedMoreThanYouNeed.html

Basically, as the drive fills up, overall read/write speeds go down. I see this in my machine right now. I have two identical WD Caviar Green 2TB drives. The first only has 470GB on it. I get read/write speeds of 111/113 MB/s. The other drive is half full at 1.05TB on it. For that I get speeds of 91/92 MB/s.

Before I moved my system to an SSD and all 2TB drives, I had a 500GB drive for work files. About halfway full I was getting 70-80 MB/s on it. Once I filled it, those rates were down to 30-40 MB/s.

So buy bigger than you need to keep files on the outer edge for speed.

Personally, I went for a 120GB SSD for my OS X boot drive. I get read/write speeds of 250+ MB/s on that. I then moved my data to a 2TB drive that's only using about 300GB right now. I have four 2TB drives in my Mac Pro to spread the data out. I then backup to 2TB external drives in OWC enclosures.

-Kevin

5. highdefw macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

My needs:
    -120gb ssd for the sake of booting up and opening apps quicker
    -2x 500gb or 1TB drives in raid for editing video
    -2TB to store music, movies, and projects
    -2TB drive for backup

6. ssri1983 macrumors newbie

I have a 640 GB hdd and 3 1TB hdds. The os and applications go on the stock 640 GB drive. All the 1TB hdds have a 128GB partition in the outermost portion of the hdd. The rest of the area is left as is, or partitioned with 500GB and remaining space. I use the outermost partitions for my workfiles, and my photography needs. The rest of the partitions are either time machine back up or general back up etc...

7. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I currently have 2 1TB drives in Bays 1 and 2: one for OS/Apps and some data, and the other for my MIDI libraries and media. I also have a 2TB drive in Bay 3 for TM. My intention is to buy a 120GB OWC SSD for OS/Apps and put it in the lower optical bay, then get three 2TB drives and put all four bays into a RAID 10 for all my data, moving the 1TBs (+2 more 1TB) into a OWC four drive external enclosure for TM. Eventually I intend to get a 400GB+ SSD and add it to the optical bay as well, to give me speed with my MIDI libraries - I'm waiting until they get cheap enough.