How do you organize your life???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How do you organize your life (ie: keep track of regular schedules, things to do, appointments, etc)??

If you can share with us how you keep track of everything, and more importantly, WHY you do things this way, it would be great.

Here are some things I am doing now:

1. Appointments are kept in iCal, and multiple alarms are set. One is set for around 30 minutes before the appointment/event, and one is set many hours before an event (6 or 10?). That way, even if I forget and ignore the first alarm, I get a 2nd reminder. Everything is "iSunk" (??) to my Sony Ericsson phone via Bluetooth. That way, my mobile sounds the alarms that I set in iCal.

2. To-Do lists, instructions, driving directions and drawn maps, new emails/phone numbers, etc, onto these small pieces of paper and put into my pocket or wallet.

Organizers and Planning Diaries never worked for me. I'd never use them, and despite being A5 size (which is probably around 5"x8" or something), they were still too large for me to carry around all the time. Not every plan comes up when I had my paper scheduler around, and PDAs and Blackberries/iPhones/Smartphones probably wouldn't work because typing will always be worse than writing.
    Also, I have ADD and am not a very linear thinking person, and it just didn't work for the way I thought and wrote down ideas.

I have recently decided on using a small (9x14 cm) Moleskine Soft Pocket Notebook with blank pages as my new organizer, list-maker, and general writing pad. I like this for several reasons:

(i) I think I like the idea of having no lined pages, or grid lines. Lines are for people who insist on writing everything the same size, and horizontally. It seems suffocating to write in odd ways and cut through those lines when writing or doing anything with a pen, like writing or drawing maps and such.

(ii) I don't like organizers because my schedule seems rather dynamic. On some days, I need lots of space and want to make To-Do lists (and not in a separate "To-Do List" section), while I don't need much space on other days. So why are the spaces for each day "fixed"?

(iii) I may actually be able to carry this thing everywhere because it's small.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I love my Moleskin... I use it often when I don't have my computer on me, and I keep all my to-do's in there, and record items while on-the-go. Once I get a chance, I enter all my info into my MBP via Stickies or iCal for dates.

For example... And yes, *I* actually understand this scratch:

Attached Files:

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, so I'm not the only person who thinks blank pages are very cool. ;)

I only discovered Moleskines last week when I thought, "A smaaaall book with blank pages would be cool." Then I went to look for such a book, and found some nice leather shells that allow for writing pads of any style (lined, grid, plain) to be inserted. That way, the leather part can be reused. You just need a new paper insert.

Moleskines were kind of expensive for blank paper, so I tried to find an alternative. Then reality hit....try to find a small, blank pad of paper without the stupid spiral/looped spines. :eek: There aren't many.

Glad it works for you. I'm getting mine soon.

Do you have the hardcover one, or the new softcover? I want to fit it in my front and back pockets, so I insisted on a softcover. Is the hardcover as difficult to fit in a pocket as I imagine? :confused:

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Oh, also, keep appointment cards in your wallet - handy place and not apt to be lost in the shuffle.

I am highly organized (but that's because of my diagnosed ODC), I could go on for days about my antics... :cool:

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Mine's softcover. It's tattered and worn, but it still functional. The cover is durable and takes a beating. When I'm in the car, I keep it right next to me with a pen for quick "stop light" notes. Elsewhere, it fits it the inside pocket for most suits/sport coats, and of course, jeans and casual wear. For me, the hardest thing is keeping track of a writing utensil. :rolleyes:

6. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Will probably do exactly what you're doing. I'm going to be your twin soon. It'll always be in my pocket (seems useful for grocery shopping). Of course, I need to worry about keeping a pen...

Big wallets are where I keep my stuff, including appointment cards. I don't know how you use it, but it's like my storage locker. It hoards old receipts, and it gobbles up small Post-it notes. All five of my "Buy 10, Get 1 free" card are in there too.

Appointment cards just went into a pocket until I got to my computer......if I remember to do it.

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yep. Sounds uber familiar! I keep recent receipts in the bill area until they can be filed at my earliest connivance.

I keep all gift cards in one side, appointment cards in another, reward and membership cards in the staggered slots, and identification/insurance/IDs in the center behind the window. Business cards have their own slot too, but the majority of contact's info gets entered into my phone immediately.

Back to the Moleskin though: blank is good for maps and such, as I can illustrate here:

Attached Files:

8. shecky Guest

shecky

pretty simple really: this stuff plus a blackberry pearl. i usually have a sketchbook on me but thats only for notes and sketches, as my handwriting sucks too much to use it for keeping real track of stuff. lately i have been using Rhodia A5 blank notepads.

(i was on iCal but it SUCKS SO MUCH under leopard i went to gCal.)

Attached Files:

9. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I use my blackberry to keep track of most of my stuff, since it's the thing I usually have with me when I am making appointments. It syncs up to iCal (and my iPod touch does too). I usually don't use alarms because they drive me insane (I have a pretty good memory). I really only use alarms for when I have papers due or due dates for things that are really important, not so much appointments.

10. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Google Calendar. No matter where I am, it is there. It syncs with iCal and from there, iCal syncs with my iTouch. For the first time, Google Calendar allows me to have one consistent day planner at work, at home, and everywhere else. Today I couldn't imagine being without it. :apple:

11. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

How I organize my life? Honestly? I kind of don't. :D

I use Address Book for my contacts--most of them, anyway. Oh, and some of them are out of date. As for appointments and todos, I have no real set system. Sometimes I enter them into iCal, but I'm usually too lazy unless I'm sitting in front of the computer at the time. I'll often just scribble that sort of thing onto whatever piece of paper I can find. As for urgent reminders, I'll take a felt-tip pen and draw a little happy face on the back of my hand as a (not so) subtle reminder (sort of how people used to tie strings around their finger).

Recent receipts, random crap from my pockets, and bill/paycheck stubs usually sit on a dresser or table until I'm up to dealing with the pile.

So yeah, no real system. Why? I'm lazy. :p

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I keep important dates on Entourage, which syncs with iCal and my iPhone. I'm always surprised at how much I remember to do without checking that.

I was going to send my friend a birthday card early, but wanted to wait until the day of. I forgot until I looked at my iPhone calendar. I should really use the alarm option more often.

13. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

iCal synced with my palm-thingie.

It doesn't so much "organise my life" as ring an alarm now and then to remind me of stuff.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Payment dates and birthdays go into iCal with an alarm five days before. Everything else goes onto a to-do list where stuff gets removed after completion.

It's the only way. Otherwise I would just forget things constantly and miss deadlines.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Normally I just remember, but sometimes I scribble down a note on my sketchbook.

17. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why do some of you use Entourage and Google Calender, and then sync it with iCal? Why not just use iCal directly? Maybe my needs are simple, and easily met with iCal, and so I don't really understand.

Anyway, I guess I'm doing as well as everyone else in the organization department. I thought others had some really incredible ways of Syncing everything with everything else they own. I guess not...

18. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Normally I don't make New Years resolutions, but this year I decided to retire my Dayrunner organizer and go "online" with my calenders, address book and reminders. It was a huge leap for me being that I've had my organizer for 15 years.

At work we have Outlook. I have my MacBook at home, but I wanted to use just one program. So I decided to use Yahoo since their email is my primary personal email anyway and I can access it at work. While I love how Outlook looks (which is the only MS program I do like) and functions, I don't have it at home and I don't check work email unless I'm at home. So my address book is now in Yahoo and my MacBook is a backup. My calender is also now with Yahoo, where reminders are sent to my email but I use iCal as a backup birthday calender.

So far, it's been working better than I expected and it is nice not having to lug around my organizer anymore.

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

BlackBerry here as well. But, I still haven't been able to let go of my Franklin Planner.

20. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Calendar and alerts on iPhone. Cant live without it now :D

21. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

If I worked solely with Macs, I wouldn't need my Yahoo. But I'm on my work PC more than I'm on my MacBook so I need something I can access here. I really wish .Mac's email integrated iCal and Address Book, all of which was accessible from any computer. I think the yearly charge would be worth it.

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I use my iPod Touch as a PDA. I've jailbroken it and I have a ToDo list, notes, editable iCal, etc.

23. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I use my iPhone, including keeping to-do lists on the notes app. I also carry around a Moleskine cahier because there are times that you need to be able to take down notes without focusing on trying to type on the iPhone.

24. jng macrumors 65816

jng

[​IMG]

old-fashioned sans - technology I've had several PDAs which might have been useful for other purposes, but for organisation actually it was cumbersome. I can scribble homework (wow, I don't have this anymore actually), appointments, todos, etc faster than typing them with a stylus on a PDA, typing on a cell phone or even using iPhone.

moleskines are indeed the best, but this one is in a class by itself, combining a datebook and notebook. and this one is a soft leather cover and fits nicely in my bag or even jacket pocket.

I ditched a PDA and got one of these two years back and I don't intend on ever going back to technology....