How do you plan to set up your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehopscotch, Jun 22, 2010.

?

How do you plan to set up your new iPhone 4?

1. Start clean from scratch

96 vote(s)
    53.0%
  2. Restore from 2G, 3G, or 3GS backup

85 vote(s)
    47.0%
  1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Throwing a poll out there to see how everyone is planning to set up their new iPhone 4 when they receive it...restoring from a backup of a 2G, 3G, or 3GS...or starting new and syncing contacts back in and redownloading apps.

Just to confirm, if I start from scratch, I can just redownload all purchased apps from the App Store under my account without being charged again, correct?

2. w00master macrumors 65816

You won't need to re-download them. When you buy/download an app from the app store (much like music) it gets put into the app "library." The difference is that apps can be installed on unlimited iOS devices. So, have fun. :)

w00master

3. cherrygirlunmei macrumors member

I'll definitely start from scratch. I don't have many contacts and most of them are just junk (retail store numbers, etc) anyway, so I'm cool with deleting them. As for my apps, I really don't play with most of them anymore, so I'll most likely delete most of them off my folder too.

As for my pictures, i'll just email them to myself and save them on my computer. So no worries there.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Restoring. I have too many contacts to lose, and I do reference back to quite a few text messages.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You don't need to restore from a backup to retain your contacts. They sync to your computer just like your music and apps.

Text messages, on the other hand, are not.

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

What about texts?

7. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

8. DJ ReFRESH macrumors member

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Always setup as new. If the texts are that important use iPhone Backup Extractor and SQLite Database Browser to save them somewhere. Game saves, you’ll just have to deal with until Apple gives users a way to sync these somehow.

10. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Can someone explain how to add back the apps from the app library when you set up as new (without manually redownloading them all)?

11. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I am going to put about 300 candles around the house, light them, and sprinkle rose pedals on the floor, as well as putting on some music... you know just to set the mood.

12. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

It's something like iTunes Menu -> Transfer Purchases from iPhone/iPod to this Machine

I'm going to slaughter a goat and rub my iMac in its blood as an offering to please the Activation Gods.

13. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

I hadn't thought about it before, but now I'll probably prefer to start from scratch. My contacts,notes, and apps are a mess! I have a lot of friends that I've lost touch with and a lot of friends that numbers don't work but I still keep them. Haha. My notes date all the way back to last year of school. And old grocery lists and songs to download when I hear them on the radio. And don't even start me on my apps. I download and download, but never use. Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to game apps, I am very uneasily satisfied. I'll only play Collapse or Bejeweled (yet I still download others just to try).

14. Cubsfan macrumors member

So the process is just when you get the choice for "Restore from backup" or "setup as new phone", select setup as new phone? And it'll figure out your number and AT&T settings and stuff?

15. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i always setup as a new phone, that way no junk is transferred to my nice new iPhone. i just hate to think that something on my previous backup like a txt message, will mess with my new stuff. I always like restoring and reformatting everything. Probably since i was a windows user till 4 years ago.

16. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

17. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    I'll be starting fresh, I'm gonna use Google Sync for my contacts.

18. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

19. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

My apps are already in iTunes...I'm trying to understand how to get those apps from my iTunes onto my new iPhone 4. I was trying to help my mom with this earlier when her 3G upgrade to iOS 4 deleted her apps, but I couldn't find where in iTunes to make the entire app library copy back to the iPhone.

Any advice?

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

21. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Hm.

Text messages I can probably do without in that case. Where on my computer are the contacts stored so I know they'll be safe?

22. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

NEVER restore an old device on a new one on a completely different firmware. you will screw it up. and you can always re sync your damn contacts

23. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

All the Restore does is move what was on your old phone onto your new one (contacts, photos, music, etc.) All are surface level files. It's basically a fully automated sync.

24. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

I'll be setting up as new. My contacts are on me.com; my email is gmail, etc. It'll be nice to have a good clean install.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to sync them with something. If you have a Mac that would Address Book; if you have a PC, it’s either Outlook (the best) or Windows Address Book (or whatever it’s called in Vista and 7).