Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptempos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
debating if I should keep my sleeve and spend 50 on that speck clam shell case. Ive heard the clamshells actually can scratch the macbook itself..but I do want that extra protection. Thoughts/experience?

-anyone use it without any protection besides a sleeve and was fine?
-anyone prefer using the clamshell but have any scratch/issues with them?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I've been using an Incase sleeve for 4 years when transporting my MBP over longer distances. Nothing when in normal use.
I've never grasped the point of hard shell cases, unless you work in extremely rough surroundings.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
debating if I should keep my sleeve and spend 50 on that speck clam shell case. Ive heard the clamshells actually can scratch the macbook itself..but I do want that extra protection. Thoughts/experience?

I've used only a sleeve, if that, for my 2010 13" MBA, 2012 11" MBA, and 2015 13" rMBP. I'm not careless with them but I also don't baby them, either. I have literally no scratches on any of them. Yesterday, I dropped my brand new 2015 13" rMBP; on the way down, it hit the desk and then a chair before landing a carpeted floor. No scratches or damage of any kind. (Man, that was the longest and scariest 1.5 seconds of my life) (not counting when someone crashed my car and it flipped over with me in it)

Despite this run of good luck without a case, I've just ordered a Kuzy case from Amazon based on the favorable reviews and the low price (just $25, I think that's about half of what you pay for the Speck).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V17TH6/

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I use a sleeve. I also use a skin on the top case to prevent scratches.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I'm a teacher. I take my Macbook to school every day. It is in a blue plastic snap on case I bought for $12 on Amazon. Do NOT spend $50. You can find than for a lot less. Then it goes in a neoprene zipper leave and then I toss then in the briefcase. I've had the briefcase take a few tumbles, no damage. I can't think of a worse environment for a notebook than a high school and made does just fine.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I use the ColcaSac Uintah natural hemp sleeve. I like the way it looks and it's pretty functional also. There is a wool-like lining on the inside with a velcro closure. Nothing to scratch the Macbook. ;) It's a snug fitting case so the Macbook will never come out if I'm holding it at one end. When I'm using the Macbook, I have the sleeve underneath.

This works for me because I never take my Macbook out of the house and I store it in the sleeve when I'm not using it.

41dC5XcwK%2BL.jpg

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have been using Speck see thru hard case for my 2007 MBP and rMBP there was no scratches I always careful to pull it out while cleaning inside and out. Also I put Specked rMBP inside AE messager with sleeve. Best of both worlds :apple:

uptempos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
I use the ColcaSac Uintah natural hemp sleeve. I like the way it looks and it's pretty functional also. There is a wool-like lining on the inside with a velcro closure. Nothing to scratch the Macbook. ;) It's a snug fitting case so the Macbook will never come out if I'm holding it at one end. When I'm using the Macbook, I have the sleeve underneath.

This works for me because I never take my Macbook out of the house and I store it in the sleeve when I'm not using it.

wow that looks really nice. thanks for the recommend.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

I *GASP* don't use anything on mine.

I like to actually use a product when I buy it, instead of staring at it. If it gets scratched, oh well.

mrj412

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
wow that looks really nice. thanks for the recommend.

I second the ColcaSac recommendation. I have a sleeve I've been using on my Macbook Pro for over 5 years now and it barely shows any wear and has kept my Macbook in perfect condition while in my backpack.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Best Skins Ever matte. I don't use the trackpad skin.
Acme Made Skinny sleeve in my laptop bag

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014

Thanks for referring to this one! Will make sure to buy one for my cMBP when the salary comes in.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I use a laptop bag...

... to transport it and nothing the rest of the time.

It's a laptop not a priceless work of art.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I have an incase shell and when I'm done using my laptop, I put it in a Snugg sleeve. Works perfect for protecting my laptop. I have no issues in removing the shell when I need to as I did with all other shells - when I tried removing those I was terrified I would break my laptop.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Using a Built neoprene sleeve to transport it in a rucksack or just on its own. Nothing when it sits on a desk.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I got a Speck color haze snap on hard shell for $20 from eBay. I have that on and when I travel I put the laptop with that snap on shell in a Vera Bradley laptop sleeve. That sleeve then goes into my Vera Bradley laptop bag.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Haven't used any protection for my laptops for years, same goes for most my co-workers and family. I just throw my laptop into the shoulder bag, with my keys and wallet and everything. All this protection is completely overrated as far as I am concerned — it only takes space and weight, without bringing any noteworthy benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.