how do you protect your macbook pro, shell or sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uptempos, Apr 22, 2015.

1. uptempos macrumors member

debating if I should keep my sleeve and spend 50 on that speck clam shell case. Ive heard the clamshells actually can scratch the macbook itself..but I do want that extra protection. Thoughts/experience?

-anyone use it without any protection besides a sleeve and was fine?
    -anyone prefer using the clamshell but have any scratch/issues with them?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I've been using an Incase sleeve for 4 years when transporting my MBP over longer distances. Nothing when in normal use.
    I've never grasped the point of hard shell cases, unless you work in extremely rough surroundings.

3. roncron macrumors member

I've used only a sleeve, if that, for my 2010 13" MBA, 2012 11" MBA, and 2015 13" rMBP. I'm not careless with them but I also don't baby them, either. I have literally no scratches on any of them. Yesterday, I dropped my brand new 2015 13" rMBP; on the way down, it hit the desk and then a chair before landing a carpeted floor. No scratches or damage of any kind. (Man, that was the longest and scariest 1.5 seconds of my life) (not counting when someone crashed my car and it flipped over with me in it)

Despite this run of good luck without a case, I've just ordered a Kuzy case from Amazon based on the favorable reviews and the low price (just $25, I think that's about half of what you pay for the Speck).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V17TH6/

4. flur macrumors 68000

I use a sleeve. I also use a skin on the top case to prevent scratches.

5. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Here's what I use:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20346335&postcount=18

There are links within that post to where I bought the stuff (Qoo10.sg).
    The site is a joint venture between eBay and Giosis.

Not sure if the seller I point to will ship international, but the shells are shipped out from China itself.

6. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Right now I don't use anything. However, I just discovered a few gashes in the bottom :(

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm a teacher. I take my Macbook to school every day. It is in a blue plastic snap on case I bought for $12 on Amazon. Do NOT spend $50. You can find than for a lot less. Then it goes in a neoprene zipper leave and then I toss then in the briefcase. I've had the briefcase take a few tumbles, no damage. I can't think of a worse environment for a notebook than a high school and made does just fine.

8. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I use the ColcaSac Uintah natural hemp sleeve. I like the way it looks and it's pretty functional also. There is a wool-like lining on the inside with a velcro closure. Nothing to scratch the Macbook. ;) It's a snug fitting case so the Macbook will never come out if I'm holding it at one end. When I'm using the Macbook, I have the sleeve underneath.

This works for me because I never take my Macbook out of the house and I store it in the sleeve when I'm not using it.

[​IMG]

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have been using Speck see thru hard case for my 2007 MBP and rMBP there was no scratches I always careful to pull it out while cleaning inside and out. Also I put Specked rMBP inside AE messager with sleeve. Best of both worlds :apple:

10. uptempos thread starter macrumors member

wow that looks really nice. thanks for the recommend.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

I *GASP* don't use anything on mine.

I like to actually use a product when I buy it, instead of staring at it. If it gets scratched, oh well.

12. mrj412 macrumors regular

I second the ColcaSac recommendation. I have a sleeve I've been using on my Macbook Pro for over 5 years now and it barely shows any wear and has kept my Macbook in perfect condition while in my backpack.

13. flur macrumors 68000

Well I guess you're a special snowflake then. No one else here uses their macbooks. :eek:

14. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Best Skins Ever matte. I don't use the trackpad skin.
    Acme Made Skinny sleeve in my laptop bag

15. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

Thanks for referring to this one! Will make sure to buy one for my cMBP when the salary comes in.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I use a laptop bag...

... to transport it and nothing the rest of the time.

It's a laptop not a priceless work of art.

17. Hankkk macrumors regular

18. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have an incase shell and when I'm done using my laptop, I put it in a Snugg sleeve. Works perfect for protecting my laptop. I have no issues in removing the shell when I need to as I did with all other shells - when I tried removing those I was terrified I would break my laptop.

19. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Using a Built neoprene sleeve to transport it in a rucksack or just on its own. Nothing when it sits on a desk.

20. roncron macrumors member

21. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I got a Speck color haze snap on hard shell for $20 from eBay. I have that on and when I travel I put the laptop with that snap on shell in a Vera Bradley laptop sleeve. That sleeve then goes into my Vera Bradley laptop bag.

22. ChrisS1081 macrumors newbie

Cheap like 8 dollar shell from eBay works great.

23. leman macrumors 604

Haven't used any protection for my laptops for years, same goes for most my co-workers and family. I just throw my laptop into the shoulder bag, with my keys and wallet and everything. All this protection is completely overrated as far as I am concerned — it only takes space and weight, without bringing any noteworthy benefits.

24. newellj macrumors 601

Ditto in a SFBags sleeve.