How do YOU survive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Samwise592, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Samwise592 macrumors regular

Well, I made the desicion to wait for leopard/SantaRosa before i buy a MacBook, and the wait is KILLING me. I'm gonna be a PC convert, and i find myself going crazy with how much i want one of these things.

My question to the other waiters out there: what do you do to keep sane?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Buy one now and the heck with waiting...you can always upgrade it later.

3. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The next few months will go by in a flash, you'll see.:)

5. jng macrumors 65816

jng

survive? well i'm not really. i should be finishing up my last semester at school including writing my thesis. instead i spend much of the day surfing mac sites and dealmac looking at macbook pros among other things.

my 12" pbook 867 is on its last legs so to speak. i had to put electric tape on the powercable and that scar stares at me daily. other than that - i think i could hang on until june...

6. jesteraver macrumors 6502

how to stay sane good question ... i went insane years ago waiting for another imac ... still waiting for the right time lol

I just cant wait to get an intel mac ... pop in xp pro so i can install so many computer games lol i havent touched a computer game in so long ... :(

7. Samwise592 thread starter macrumors regular

haha yup, i find myself spending a good chunk of my time on sites like this pretending i have one.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If the wait is killing you, you will be doing the deadman's float by June. You are making a conscience decision; you are waiting for a technology which does not exist yet. Only you can determine if this is the right choice, and it appears you have concluded it is. So, quit stressing about it. Spring is here. Go fall in love. You will stop worrying about the Mac (unless that is who/what you fall in love with - then seek help).

9. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

hahaha. i'm waiting for santarosa/leopard too. kinda killing me. but i know that the wait will be worth it. it should be.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Bought a CD macbook off the refurb site for 799.

Easy to survive with one of these, makes me think I was overthinking my purchase as this thing suits all my REAL needs, although a MBP LOOKS nicer.

Good luck.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got a 1.66 refurb Core Duo Mini in October for $649 (superdrive model) and a Canon Printer with a $100 rebate to tide me over. It helps having a buyer for the Mini already waiting. Just didn't think I'd have to wait this long. And my buyer is getting anxious for his Mini. I told him by March. Oops. But I'm staying strong. Heck, the Mini was my 1st upgrade since my Feb 2000 G4 450 PowerMac 'Sawtooth'. Now I've got someone who wants to buy that. I thought I'd keep it for nostalgia, but $200 is $200.

12. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

You might try looking for an older machine that's cheap to tide you over.

I'm not quite in the same situation -- I've used OS X for over 5 years, so I'm not looking to switch for the first time. I remember back before I got my first OS X Mac, I used to read all the sites like this about the first public versions of it, and wanting it badly. So I can certainly sympathize. ;)

Recently my wife and I decided that we needed a second laptop since there's too much contention for the one Macbook we have. :rolleyes: :D Especially when I need it for more serious work and she can't use it to surf. ;) I figured we would wait for Santa Rosa Macbooks and Leopard, sometime this summer. Kinda started getting in that mode of checking for every tidbit of information regarding possible dates for those...

Then last weekend I decided to see if our 4.5 year old G3 iBook could possibly be fixed with a do-it-yourself method. It had suffered the infamous logic board problem and was no longer eligible for repair. It sat, "dead" for about a year. Long story short, I was able to fix it, and I've been using it a lot this week. It's almost like having a "new" machine again, even though it's older, slower, and runs Panther. Actually it's still quite good for basic web development and surfing.

So now I'm out of the waiting game, at least as long as this iBook lasts in its second life. Kind of a relief not to worry about that anymore. New stuff will come when it comes, and when there's a good enough jump, maybe we'll upgrade. No more rush. :cool:

Maybe having an older machine would put you in the same mindset for the time being.

13. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I did this for almost two years, before I got my first mac.

14. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I check macrumors everyday like 5 times until it says they released new MBP's

15. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Its not easy...

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

no, no it's not.....

17. macjay macrumors 6502

I also got a CD Macbook as a bridge to the next laptops (hopefully a smaller MBP). Keyboard is "interesting." I'm amazed that Apple can get away with it, to be honest.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Waiting for the CD macbook almost killed me...luckily I was rewarded with random shutdowns which Apple said were not my fault...

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I survive by using my Macs :p

But when I was saving up for my first Mac, it was hard. I wanted to spend the cash on other things, but I didn't and it was well worth it. I simply used my iPod Mini every day, and tried to get by. I did, and as soon as I had the $$ to buy an iMac G5, I did, and haven't looked back.

20. cnybud macrumors member

cnybud

Well as a possible convert myself, I have been studying Mac stuff, bought books and have otherwise been a nuisance to my wife who thinks i have lost what was left of my brain.

Waiting used to bother me, but now what bothers me more is the decision on which Mac to buy. Part of me wants the MacBook because I want it to fit in my camera bag and be able to do post production stuff with Lightroom on the go. Another part of me says, yeah but you would be better off with the 15" MB Pro because it has a higher end graphics card, too bad if it does not fit in your camera bag. Still another part of me says hey why not just save up for the Mac Pro and add your 2GB of ram that you have as well as your two 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drives to the machine and rock into paradise? I thought about the iMac as well, but the lack of expandability makes this old PC nervous.

So i am talking myself into waiting for a Leopard or whatever wild cat comes next by remembering that something better is always around the corner when it comes to the computer world.

And in the meantime I am looking into buying a lesser model laptop to tide my Mac Fix over.

That and I am taking mega doses of anti-depressants ;)

21. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you were already one with the Zen of Macdom waiting would be no trouble. Therefore get yourself a good Switching to the Mac book and spend the next few weeks preparing for your conversion. Peace.

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Because I don't know what to expect from Apple, I'm not foaming at the mouth with envy, lusting for these objects. It isn't a big deal for me and I can stay quite sane.

Plus my bank balance doesn't look to healthy.

23. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Me too!

24. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Browsing many sites like this and just reading impressions basically. Though, I find the best way to deal with it is just not think about it and do other stuff on my computer... hard to do sometimes but whatever. School is starting up back for me again this week and I got alot of **** to do so I won't be too focused on it. The real killer for me will be a few weeks before WWDC since that is mainly what I am waiting for. heh

25. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Don't know, but following Cartman's method for dealing with "teh wait" in South Park's Go God. Go. Parts I & II is not advised! :p