Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
From my expereince, there are alot of part time college type jobs out there. At least the last 2 places I have lived, in NY and CO. See the attached image of where I am getting this opinion from

dude, i was unemployed for 8 months before i found this job. i did 5-10 applications a week and it took this long just to find this. without a degree, its either serving tables or working at target for 8 bucks an hour.

No, I would call 11% average. Consider yourself fortunate to be serving expensive food vs maybe a perkins where the tip would be dramatically less just by playing the % game. Especially in an economy like this, be grateful people are tipping is the mindset I would adopt

if you count all those national chains like an olive garden or whatever, i'd say 15% is the average. around here, people tip normally tip 15-20, and like I said, I don't complain about that. its the ones that are less than 15.

5 of my tables last night (i had a party of 10 so my section was mostly full with them) had tabs within the $40-50 range. their tabs:

$40 (was $48 before they used a coupon) left me $12 (30%)
$48 left me $12 (25%)
$45 left me $10 (22%)
$42 left me $10 (23%)
and the one $47 left me $5 (10.6%)

so, as you could imagine, when you're getting tips like I got all night, and then someone gives you that 5 bucks, it really sucks. fortunately, most of the people I wait on are really nice and do tip well, so it makes up for the occasional bad one.

This is where we have differing opinions. That is part of the job description. How does any of that obligate one to tip you and to tip you in the 20% range? You are doing your job, are you not?

I am doing my job. and I do a damn good job at it. the restaurant I work at is known all over the area for having great food, and most of all, having service that goes above and beyond almost all other restaurants. this is how we have such a loyal customer base, and keep people coming back for more

It only sucks when you have high expectations to begin with. I would say it's 15 bucks for maybe an 1.5hr dinner by a table out of maybe 4 you may have been serving. Pretty good money imo

yeah, that is pretty good money. a party of 4's tab would probably be in the $70-$80 range unless they had a lot of booze, so 15 bucks would be just about 20%. i would definitely be happy with that. if that same party left me just $8 (which would be the 10-11%), I'd consider that a bad tip.

I also know that most waiters, myself included, made very decent money, well over my friend counterparts and even working less hrs due to tips. Point is that yea, while you may have bad tables, you are still making quite a bit more than min wage all said and done AND you get to take your tips home every night and not wait once every 2 weeks to get any of your earnings like nearly everyone else. I do miss that part of waiting.

I average 50 bucks for a week night and 100 for a weekend. it is decent money, and thats why I do it over working retail. thats all in tips though, so if I have a night where I just get bad luck with tables and end up with bad tips, I'm screwed. I LIVE on my tips. I don't get a paycheck.. that $2.63 an hour gets taken away for taxes. My two week pay checks average $20, and sometimes they can even be in the negative if I owe money for taxes cause I had a decent week.

And yes, serving food is of relative unimportance. Sorry to have to state that but it just is

it's just as important as every other job. even being a garbageman is an important job. all of these jobs are necessary for our country to run.

I have nothing against tipping if it is warranted. Once it becomes expected by people for merely doing their jobs is when I start to take issue with it

well, the fact that the government has a separate wage class for us called "tipped employees", means that a tip pretty much is expected.

I always go above and beyond to make my customers happy so they enjoy their experience and come back and sit in my section. that is one thing that my restaurant strives for. obviously, the customer is never going to know what my opinion of the tip is, and if i was expecting more. when I get 20+% though, I ALWAYS make sure to go back over to the table again to thank them once more.

Here is a figure from my school's website, not to mention stuff like CL for jobs. Note the scroll bar...there are tons posted. With that said, I find it hard to believe it's difficult finding another job if you dislike waiting if your university is anything like mine

i live 50 minutes away from my school in a small town. i commute up there for classes 4 days a week, and work at the restaurant in my hometown 4-5 shifts a week. i WISH it was that easy to find a job, but the fact is that it's not. the only chance for a different job I would have in the near future would be a seasonal retail position.. but that would end at new years. like I said, it took me 8 months of unemployment to find this job, so im not exactly going to give it up to start looking for a different one.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to delve into the "if you don't like low tips, then find another job" mantra, always spouted by some.

I've never worked in a service industry, so I can't have a directly-related opinion. But...I do have AN opinion. dukebound, you did say that if they don't like it, to find another job. OK, then someone has to take his place. Do you think THAT person will want to work for $2.63 an hour plus just a few dollars in tips? No, no one does.

But that's the way it is. American society has decided that waiters will get a low base wage (that they don't actually get after taxes), with tips on top as their "real" wage. In many restaurants, the tip-out to other employees is based on sales. So if the tip-out is 5%, the server has to give 5% of their sales to the bus-boys, bartenders, etc. If they get tipped 10%, then they get to keep 5%. 10% on a $50 bill is $5. They get to keep $2.50. That's insulting. If you're against it, then why don't YOU find a place to dine where the waiters don't live off of tips. Oh right...there aren't many such places.

It's not that waiters so much expect tips as a REWARD, but as their actual wage. Sorry you don't like it, but you're part of the society that has deemed it the norm. You are basically saying that anyone who is a food server (a large portion of employment) should expect to get paid practically nothing, and only by the grace of a few people might they see some livable wages.

My wife used to work in food service. She worked for the same chain in two different locations. In one location (the northeast), she made decent money, enough to live life at least. In the other location (in the south), she barely made enough to put gas in the car to get to and from the job...even when working double shifts. Why? Because people in that location were very poor tippers, or didn't tip at all. She quit because it wasn't even worth working. But SOMEONE is having to do it...work for nothing. And I'm sure they are complaining about it. But, that's probably OK to you.

But yes, everyone who ever serves should just find a better paying job. Then who's going to serve? Independently wealthy people? Homeless people?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
well we do get paid $2.63 an hour, so it is kind of expected...

They do it to try to get you to come back. They don't expect that you're going to tip them on it, but personally, I leave an even bigger tip when that happens. I was going to be spending that money anyways, so I might as well give them a good tip.

When I said a tip shouldn't be expected, I meant all the time. If you give bad service, I have no problem leaving nothing. I usually take the time to talk to the person when I leave nothing, because something was wrong with the service. I don't require waiting on and being babied, but do expect decent service.

Regarding the free drinks, I leave a bigger tip, as they are doing me a favor. Its the amount that I always wonder. I usually give them 1/2 the cost of the drinks as an extra tip.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to delve into the "if you don't like low tips, then find another job" mantra, always spouted by some.

I've never worked in a service industry, so I can't have a directly-related opinion. But...I do have AN opinion. dukebound, you did say that if they don't like it, to find another job. OK, then someone has to take his place. Do you think THAT person will want to work for $2.63 an hour plus just a few dollars in tips? No, no one does.

I have been a waiter, as I have stated, and know the importance of tips. However, I never expected them (to the point of being angry at not getting a certain %) and was never angry by those who tip 10%

I also know I made quite a bit more than the average person my age as a waiter solely on tips so forgive me if I don't get offended by poor tips from time to time as overall, you still come out ahead.

My point is never have the mindset of "expecting" and always be grateful for what you do get. The mentality by waiters of thinking they deserve tips grinds my gears to no end

But that's the way it is. American society has decided that waiters will get a low base wage (that they don't actually get after taxes), with tips on top as their "real" wage. In many restaurants, the tip-out to other employees is based on sales. So if the tip-out is 5%, the server has to give 5% of their sales to the bus-boys, bartenders, etc. If they get tipped 10%, then they get to keep 5%. 10% on a $50 bill is $5. They get to keep $2.50. That's insulting. If you're against it, then why don't YOU find a place to dine where the waiters don't live off of tips. Oh right...there aren't many such places.

Yes, I know how tipping works and how it is shared as well, I have lived that job lol

It's not that waiters so much expect tips as a REWARD, but as their actual wage. Sorry you don't like it, but you're part of the society that has deemed it the norm. You are basically saying that anyone who is a food server (a large portion of employment) should expect to get paid practically nothing, and only by the grace of a few people might they see some livable wages.

And as I have said, it is much better to have a mindset of never expecting as well most do tip and as a result, waiters tend to make good money. However, the sense of entitlement is wrong. Maybe it was how I was raised?
My wife used to work in food service. She worked for the same chain in two different locations. In one location (the northeast), she made decent money, enough to live life at least. In the other location (in the south), she barely made enough to put gas in the car to get to and from the job...even when working double shifts. Why? Because people in that location were very poor tippers, or didn't tip at all. She quit because it wasn't even worth working. But SOMEONE is having to do it...work for nothing. And I'm sure they are complaining about it. But, that's probably OK to you.

Right, she looked elsewhere! If an employer can't get the help they need at the wages they are offering, they ramp up the wages. It basic economics and one is never limited to working at a restaurant forever.
But yes, everyone who ever serves should just find a better paying job. Then who's going to serve? Independently wealthy people? Homeless people?

Exactly. Everyone does tend to move on from serving...

Alot of "servers" tend to be college/hs kids who don't have much obligations in life (no mortgage, no kids for most part, etc) where that profession suits their needs at that time than one who is more established in life...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Usually about 10% for food in a good restaurant - though I wouldn't tip at McDonalds, if the service is poor they get no tip.

No bar tips from me :p. But I am British.

Do you think THAT person will want to work for $2.63 an hour plus just a few dollars in tips? No, no one does.

If you guys are bothered by this I suggest that you guys change your minimum wage law so that they have to get the full minimum wage before tips.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
And as I have said, it is much better to have a mindset of never expecting as well most do tip and as a result, waiters tend to make good money. However, the sense of entitlement is wrong. Maybe it was how I was raised?

do you feel you're entitled to your paycheck that you get every two weeks? for all the hard work you do?

it's the same exact situation, just a different way of actually getting paid.

Alot of "servers" tend to be college/hs kids who don't have much obligations in life (no mortgage, no kids for most part, etc) where that profession suits their needs at that time than one who is more established in life...

yep, us college kids don't have any obligations. oh wait.. i have to pay rent, utilities (gas, electric, water, internet), food, clothes, phone bill, car insurance, gasoline, car repairs, tuition for school, books for school, or the $20,000 of student loans that i've already piled up.

thats pretty tough to do when you're making barely $250 a week.

If you guys are bothered by this I suggest that you guys change your minimum wage law so that they have to get the full minimum wage before tips.

how exactly do you propose we do this? the power in this country lies in the hands of all the wealthy businessmen, not wait staff. we have no chance.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
do you feel you're entitled to your paycheck that you get every two weeks? for all the hard work you do?

Yes, I expect the wages that I was told I would receive per paycheck if I put in a good 80hrs+ worth of work.
it's the same exact situation, just a different way of actually getting paid.
No, in my case, I do not get tipped
Imo, you should only expect what they told you (your hrly wage) and all tips should be considered extra. I realize the tips makes up for the min wage but by no means should you expect everyone to tip according to how you feel they should tip. The tip is a function of what the customer thinks of your service

The fact that a waitstaff can be upset at a customer for leaving a tip is absurd imo as they didn't have to leave anything at all as it is their discretion

yep, us college kids don't have any obligations. oh wait.. i have to pay rent, utilities (gas, electric, water, internet), food, clothes, phone bill, car insurance, gasoline, car repairs, tuition for school, books for school, or the $20,000 of student loans that i've already piled up.

thats pretty tough to do when you're making barely $250 a week.

And in most cases you have roommates no to split those large costs? I mean you aren't paying a full 1000-1500 rent check by yourself (I mean, I hope you have roommates), feeding a family in most cases, nor paying all the utilities by oneself (If one has roommates). I am just pointing out that college students have relatively low obligations compared to those more established. Never did I say college students had no obligations lol

However, I gather that you live at home, from your statement below of living 50 minutes from your university, which is smart from a financial perspective as I imagine free or very low rent from your parents, free to low share of utilities and free to low share of food correct? If you don't live at home, why live somewhere 50 min from university? At any rate, as your refer to living in your hometown, I will assume you do and that illustrates my point of having less obligations (which isn't bad by any means)
snip...
i live 50 minutes away from my school in a small town. i commute up there for classes 4 days a week, and work at the restaurant in my hometown 4-5 shifts a week.
..snip

Hey, I have lived the college life and know what it's like. Everyone realizes you have to live on a low budget during that time, don't get me wrong

how exactly do you propose we do this? the power in this country lies in the hands of all the wealthy businessmen, not wait staff. we have no chance.

Sure you do. Go to your city council and be heard. That is the first step. Or choose not to work there and if enough people don't, they raise wages!

Personally, I would rather have higher food prices with the waitstaff being paid a higher wage and tipping to be then viewed as an act of generosity by both parties involved

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yes, I expect the wages that I was told I would receive per paycheck if I put in a good 80hrs+ worth of work.

No, in my case, I do not get tipped

but, like you said, you get a paycheck. tips ARE my paycheck. some weeks my actual pay check is just a negative stub.. telling me I owe money for taxes or social security

Imo, you should only expect what they told you (your hrly wage) and all tips should be considered extra. I realize the tips makes up for the min wage but by no means should you expect everyone to tip according to how you feel they should tip. The tip is a function of what the customer thinks of your service

what they told me is that i'm a "tipped employee" and that the money i earn comes from my tips. the pay checks are basically just there so they can collect taxes.

The fact that a waitstaff can be upset at a customer for leaving a tip is absurd imo as they didn't have to leave anything at all as it is their discretion

well, if you busted your ass on a shift, and then your boss just decided he was only going to pay you half of what you normally got, you probably wouldn't be too happy either.

And in most cases you have roommates no to split those large costs? I mean you aren't paying a full 1000-1500 rent check by yourself (I mean, I hope you have roommates), feeding a family in most cases, nor paying all the utilities by oneself (If one has roommates). I am just pointing out that college students have relatively low obligations compared to those more established. Never did I say college students had no obligations lol

However, I gather that you live at home, from your statement below of living 50 minutes from your university, which is smart from a financial perspective as I imagine free or very low rent from your parents, free to low share of utilities and free to low share of food correct? If you don't live at home, why live somewhere 50 min from university? At any rate, as your refer to living in your hometown, I will assume you do and that illustrates my point of having less obligations (which isn't bad by any means)

I live here because its where my work is. it's a long ride to college, but i'm almost done and im only on campus for 3 classes, so it isnt too bad. i share a small place with a couple friends, but still end up with $600 a month between rent&util. this doesn't count food or any other bills. if i'm making on average 250-300 a week, thats 1200 a month, so half of that is going just towards living.

maybe i should move back home.. i could save more money.

Personally, I would rather have higher food prices with the waitstaff being paid a higher wage and tipping to be then viewed as an act of generosity by both parties involved

I agree with you there. Unfortunately, thats not how its working in this country right now. The fact that we do make less than 3 bucks an hour and have to rely on our tips is pretty absurd since it's the only industry that does stuff like this. Even other industries that get tips (taxi drivers, barbers, pizza delivery) all get minimum wage, and a tip is a bonus for good service. Unfortunately, the restaurant business is the way it is, so until it changes, I'm going to be pretty adamant for tipping well for good service.

don't get me wrong, if I get terrible service, I'll leave a **** tip too. some wait staff are just lazy and don't give a ****. they get what they deserve.

but I know that at my restaurant, the other servers and myself all give customers great service. we've gotten countless great reviews and nearly everyone who I wait on tells me they loved it, the service was great, and you can see that they genuinely had a good time. for service like that, I think it's imperative to give a good tip. and if you do, and you go back there, most waiters will remember and you will get even more personal service the next time.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
At restaurants, I usually figure around 15% post tax (I say around 15% because I'll round up for easier math, like if a bill is $48.24 I might round it up to 50 for the easier math), and then go from there. If it's excellent service, I'll throw in a few bucks extra. If it was awful service, then I'll go down from the 15% figure. But if my waiter is friendly and keeps my soda topped off, they're going to end up getting at least 18% from me, but I've given over 20% before.

Barbers, around 3 dollars. Taxi drivers...can't remember the last time I was in a taxi. Pizza delivery, $2 unless the weather is ****** then I'll give them $3 or $4. I don't tip UPS drivers and the mailman. I didn't know anyone did. I never see them anyways, they always come around when I'm at work.

As for the whole argument regarding tipping: It's commonly accepted American culture. If you don't like it, don't go out. That's just how it is. Frankly, I'd rather food prices be cheaper and then me get to decide how much the waiter gets based on their service, rather than higher food prices but no tip. I wish I could do that at more places. I was at Office Depot yesterday and the cashier was a snotty bitch who acted like I was interrupting her sitting on her ass doing nothing when I wanted to check out. I wish I could've paid less for my items and then given her a tip or no tip as I see fit. I think it gives waiters an incentive to do a good job. But the cashier at Office Depot is getting her paycheck whether or not she's friendly to customers.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
If I do, it's just to see how it feels.

http://upc.*************/uploads/gifs/motorboating.gif

Tipping - I haven't the patience to delve into this in the way that many of you have. I tip according to the service and situation.

In the US I was a better tipper but that is mostly because in the US you tend to get better service BECAUSE many of these staff know their tips account for so much of their wage.

In the UK minimum wage is minimum wage (as it should be) but as a result I notice the service often suffers. Wait staff (and other customer service positions where tips are typical) tend to do the bare minimum and hell if I am going to give 20% to some miserable person who shuffled around looking like their dog just died and couldn't manage to ask if everything was okay or fill my long-empty water glass even once without me waving them down... only to act very put out to do it. I think it's a compounding effect. The British being notoriously bad tippers and the service being typically bad because they don't expect much of a tip. Well they never will if they have that kind of attitude/behaviour about it. I always find it amusing because I'm actually a great tipper but I so seldom have the opportunity with these morose and lazy waiters/bar staff. I'm not even that demanding, I just won't hand over a large tip for what is less than adequate service.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Interesting question for me. Here in Japan, you basically don't tip. So on a recent trip to the US, I was much like a foreigner visiting for the first time. :eek:

Luckily I didn't need to worry about tipping much except for meals. In that case I tipped between 10-20 percent depending on the service, but nothing less than a dollar.

danielcox

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
All this tipping is nonsense - in the UK and Europe you tip for restaurant service only if it's any good.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
I rarely ever tip but here in Australia tipping isn't expected. It does happen quite a lot in bars and clubs but thats pretty much it.

Minimum wages are quite high here so tipping isn't really a big deal. I thinks its about $14+ for an 18 year old. I get $20 an hour for being a glassy in a club plus floor tips (floor tips = money drunk people drop on the ground) but never expect real tips.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I searched and couldn't find a thread. I've always been curious how people tip and wanted to know how my fellow MR members tipped

1) Do you tip based on the total pre-tax or post-tax?
1a) Do you always tip a certain percentage or base it off how good/bad the server is?1
2) If there is a delivery charge, do you tip based off the pre-delivery charge total or post-delivery charge total?
3) How do you tip masseuses?
4) How do you tip your barber?
5) How do you tip the taxi driver?
6) If product A is discounted say 50%, do you tip based off the original or discounted total?
7) Do you tip anyone else (maid, gardener, USPS/UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers, doormen, manicurist, pedicurist, newspaper boy, babysitter/nanny, valet attendants, personal trainer, dog walker, etc) and if you do, how many %?

1. Post tax

2. Never get anything delivered I would tip on.

3. Haven't had one

4. Don't because she is private so whatever money I give goes straight to her.

5. Don't do taxis.

6. When would you tip on a product?

7. Valet, usually 3-5 bucks which is usually the cost of the valet. 100% tip isn't bad. :p

All this tipping is nonsense - in the UK and Europe you tip for restaurant service only if it's any good.

Well seeing as though waiters here make $2.13 an hour, they live on tips.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I searched and couldn't find a thread. I've always been curious how people tip and wanted to know how my fellow MR members tipped

1) Do you tip based on the total pre-tax or post-tax? pre-tax
1a) Do you always tip a certain percentage or base it off how good/bad the server is?1 Size of tip depends on quality of service
2) If there is a delivery charge, do you tip based off the pre-delivery charge total or post-delivery charge total? again, pre
4) How do you tip your barber? yes

the rest don't apply. Standard, minimum tip is 15%, and 20% or more for good service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.