How do you "tip"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phungy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I searched and couldn't find a thread. I've always been curious how people tip and wanted to know how my fellow MR members tipped

1) Do you tip based on the total pre-tax or post-tax?
    1a) Do you always tip a certain percentage or base it off how good/bad the server is?1
    2) If there is a delivery charge, do you tip based off the pre-delivery charge total or post-delivery charge total?
    3) How do you tip masseuses?
    4) How do you tip your barber?
    5) How do you tip the taxi driver?
    6) If product A is discounted say 50%, do you tip based off the original or discounted total?
    7) Do you tip anyone else (maid, gardener, USPS/UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers, doormen, manicurist, pedicurist, newspaper boy, babysitter/nanny, valet attendants, personal trainer, dog walker, etc) and if you do, how many %?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

1 I usually do post tax
    1a The worst I give is about 12-15% (almost never), but if the server is very good, I'll give at least 20%
    2 Delivery, I usually just give a few bucks, no real percent deal there, no extra work for them unless it's a mass order
    3 No idea. Never had a real massage
    4 Again, usually a few bucks, which is around 20% where I go
    5 I Don't use taxis
    6 Always tip off of the original total.
    7 I don't have a ton of experience, but it is proper practice to tip a valet. That's usually fairly inexpensive, so not a huge tip.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Squeeze the "Tip", unroll towards the base...

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

1) Do you tip based on the total pre-tax or post-tax? - post tax
    1a) Do you always tip a certain percentage or base it off how good/bad the server is? - almost always the same percent unless the server is horrid
    2) If there is a delivery charge, do you tip based off the pre-delivery charge total or post-delivery charge total? - post delivery charge since I rarely read anything but the total
    3) How do you tip masseuses? - I don't get massages.
    4) How do you tip your barber? - My hair cuts cost around $15 so I just give them a $20.
    5) How do you tip the taxi driver? - Never been in a taxi.
    6) If product A is discounted say 50%, do you tip based off the original or discounted total? - Whatever the receipt total is unless somehow I get like $50 of food for $2.
    7) Do you tip anyone else (maid, gardener, USPS/UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers, doormen, manicurist, pedicurist, newspaper boy, babysitter/nanny, valet attendants, personal trainer, dog walker, etc) and if you do, how many %? - Never needed to. I'm not fancy enough for those things and UPS/etc hardly stay more than 2 seconds.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Whatever the total says, probably post tax.

1a) Do you always tip a certain percentage or base it off how good/bad the server is?

Always based off of service. Usually 20-25. However there are times I leave nothing because of the horrible service. A tip is expected nowadays, it is something that should be earned, not expected.

2) If there is a delivery charge, do you tip based off the pre-delivery charge total or post-delivery charge total?

I factor that in. If they are having a delivery fee, then I usually tip less, prob around 15%.

Don't go, my GF says she does.

Used to when I went to one.

Less than a meal, I would says 10-15%.

6) If product A is discounted say 50%, do you tip based off the original or discounted total?

I don't tip when I buy products.

7) Do you tip anyone else (maid, gardener, USPS/UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers, doormen, manicurist, pedicurist, newspaper boy, babysitter/nanny, valet attendants, personal trainer, dog walker, etc) and if you do, how many?

Valet gets a dollar or two in, dollar or two out. Just depends on how many singles I have.

We talk about giving a small tip or something for christmas to our front gate security at our condo, but haven't. Something like 25$ to starbucks or something.

What I was always confused with tipping is regarding bars you frequent and when they give you free drinks. Do you tip off of the amount the bill would have been? Do they expect the free drinks they gave you to be tipped to them? Or do they just do it for the continuous patronage?

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Post Tax

1a) Do you always tip a certain percentage or base it off how good/bad the server is?

10% if they are not great to meh...
    15% if they are good
    20%, but rarely, if they are outstanding

depends on the item. Pizza...usually a $1-1.5 or round up the total.

depends on what she does :D

$5-$7 depending on my mood and if they do a great job.

Usually 10-20%. Most are foriegners and suck at service and interpersonal skills. They get 10%. Limo guys are usually great and they get more.

Not sure I've been in that situation. :confused:

7) Do you tip anyone else (maid, gardener, USPS/UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers, doormen, manicurist, pedicurist, newspaper boy, babysitter/nanny, valet attendants, personal trainer, dog walker, etc) and if you do, how many %?[/QUOTE]

Door men and valet's, airport luggage guys, $2 or so for what they are doing. babysitter is the only other person we use and we pay them well as is.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. Pre-Tax; 1A. How good he/she was; but a minimum of 4%.
    2. Pre-Delivery
    3. As rule of thumb for a masseuse, I give them minimum $30, and max of $100 if they were that good.
    4. $10 extra always; unless they screwed up or they did not cut as directed, then they get $0.
    5. No tip
    6. Discount
    7. This varies by situation and by type of job being performed, no specific answer, sorry.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

#3 is for a massage only, jav. :)

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Horny -aggie-....:eek::D:p;)

11. oilers15 macrumors regular

oilers15

:D you sly dog :p

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

usually 10-15% post tax for food (sit down only)

usually $1 for every 2 beers at a bar

I will also tip $5-10 for a haircut

I don't tip for anything else

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

1. I look at the total - if it's post-tax, then I tip based on that.

2. Depends on what I'm having delivered. I don't tip FedEx or UPS. If it's pizza, a dollar per pizza or order of something else - I don't base it on the dollar amount. And that depends on how timely the driver is, whether they bring napkins, etc. I used to deliver pizza, so I have a pretty high standard.

3. I've never had paid for a massage. ;)

4. I give her ten bucks. She's cute and friendly, and gives a GREAT scalp massage.

5. If the driver is friendly and helps me with bags or whatever, about ten percent - otherwise, a dollar or two.

6. I normally tip on the original total.

7. I give a parking valet anywhere from $3-5. The only other person on that list that I even use their services is a babysitter, and I don't generally tip her (but I pay her more than her going rate).

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

well we do get paid $2.63 an hour, so it is kind of expected...

it seems like i average probably around 22-24% for my tips. though of course i have the cheap customers who come in and leave me nothing.. i had people with a $47 dollar tab leave me 5 bucks tonight. thats a ****** tip, and that table (well, all of my tables) got great service.

They do it to try to get you to come back. They don't expect that you're going to tip them on it, but personally, I leave an even bigger tip when that happens. I was going to be spending that money anyways, so I might as well give them a good tip.

I always give a good tip, at least 20%, when I go out. I work in a restaurant, and I know how hard servers work, and how little money we actually make for what we do.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't get this logic. You choose to work there and you know what the pay is. A tip should never be "expected". The only thing one should "expect" is their wage imo.

If you don't like the pay, you look for other jobs
    5 on 47 is a ****** tip? Really? That is 11% tip. Most people will tip between 10-15 % from my experience.

My question is why do you think you deserve more? Most people work in industries where they do not get tipped and when they tip, they do it to compliment the service.

The fact you think 5 on 47 is a ****** tip would make me rather keep the 5 myself then give it and have the waiter still displeased by that act of generosity

1) Most people work hard
    2) Most people do not get tipped in their profession
    3) If one works in a restaurant and complains about wages and namely lack of tips, they should look elsewhere for work and drop the mindset of opting to kick a gift horse (tipping customers) in the mouth (for not tipping enough)

Just my 2 cents as someone who has worked as a waiter as well as one in a field where tips aren't given but the importance of the work is magnitudes greater to customers than merely "food"...

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Agreed with above. Tip should not be expected. It's something as a thanks, but not a forced payment. Expecting a tip and getting mad because you got none or less than what you think is correct is beyond being naive.

17. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Based off of service.
    No, just no.
    Never been to one, but I hear if they give you a happy ending you're expected to tip.
    31 dollars is what they charge, I always make my total 45. So, 14 dollar tip.
    The only cab rides I take are from the Rosslyn metro to my girls place and it is exactly 4.00. I'll throw him a 10 and thank him, I think that may just be because I know what is going to happen when I reach my destination.
    Toss up. I base it off of their attitude.
    7) Do you tip anyone else (maid, gardener, USPS/UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers, doormen, manicurist, pedicurist, newspaper boy, babysitter/nanny, valet attendants, personal trainer, dog walker, etc) and if you do, how many %?
    Guy who cuts my grass, I pay him and then slip a 20 to him ever Friday.
    Doorman, 5-er.
    Newpaper Kid, 20 when I can, 5 if not. I did this in middle school and know how far a decent note goes.
    Maid, no tip, they already rob me at 200 a week.
    Dog Trainer, no tip. My dog chews everything and the trainer has not been able to do anything about it...

To add another category to the last thing. Golf pro, I tip him 20-50 every lesson, just to keep him happy. I used to be in the business and I know that no golf pro makes more than 30K a year, and all tips go DIRECTLY to him/her. Think about it next time...

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

you say that like it's easy to find another job in this economy while i'm still in school.

i'm not the one who decided that waiters were going to get a lower wage because they're "tipped" employees. tips are a necessary part of our pay. the government and our society made it that way.

yeah, that's a **** tip. like i said, i average over 20% per table. i work at a really nice restaurant, we provide great service. not any of that chain ********.

because i bust my ass getting you every little thing you need. "oh could i please have some more butter for my bread?" "could i get an ice water please?" "can i get that on the side?"

if you haven't waited tables before, you have no idea how hard of a job it is. i get out of work on a busy weekend night and i can barely walk. we walk miles every shift, carry trays full of food, and put up with tons of ******** from customers.

go to mcdonalds if you want to tip 11%. im sure they'll enjoy your business.

yes, and these professions are all paying more than wait staff. dishwashers and garbagemen still make "minimum wage" which is like 8 bucks now. that's a lot more than 2.63. and then you have all the business people working for salary who are making $50,000+ a year

i dont complain about people who tip 15% or above. 15-20% is pretty much our society's norm for restaurant tipping. its the tips below 15% that suck. its not fun when a party of 4 rings up a $125 tab with a couple apps and a few glasses of wine, and then leaves you a $15 tip. 75% of the time, people with a tab like that will leave me at least 25 bucks. so, it really sucks when you get that one party that leaves you the bad tip.

yep, just because my work is merely serving customers "food", i must be less of a person than someone who has work that is "magnitudes of importance greater" :rolleyes:

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Pre-tax

15% is default but often I just double the sales tax which is 16.5% most places in Texas
    Good service get 20%
    Now bad service is 10%
    Now it takes quite a bit to piss me off but twice I have reach a point where they got $0.01. Reason for leaving a penny is just to prove that I though about it and tell them what I thought their service was worth.

a few bucks.

Never had oneD

few bucks

never been in one.

Pre discount

valet's a few bucks
    Airport bagman I give $5 per bag but that is for curb side only but I carry on most of the time now.
    Other stuff never used.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

How often does he cut your grass that you tip him every Friday?!? :confused:

My guy only cuts it every other week, no chance in hell I'm tipping him every Friday.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

depends where you live. Here in Houston there are times during the summer that the grass needs to be cut 2-3 time per week.
    Record I remember one summer was me cutting the grass every other day for a little while. If the summer rain showers work out right the grass can grow really quickly.

Most of the time once a week works expect for a month or 2.
    Grass cutting here goes from about march until early Nov.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

From my expereince, there are alot of part time college type jobs out there. At least the last 2 places I have lived, in NY and CO. See the attached image of where I am getting this opinion from

No, I would call 11% average. Consider yourself fortunate to be serving expensive food vs maybe a perkins where the tip would be dramatically less just by playing the % game. Especially in an economy like this, be grateful people are tipping is the mindset I would adopt

This is where we have differing opinions. That is part of the job description. How does any of that obligate one to tip you and to tip you in the 20% range? You are doing your job, are you not?
    Clearly you missed the part where I stated I have waiting experience. However, now that i am older and have worked in many industries, from food, retail in my younger years to oil rigs and ship yards more recently, I would consider waiting a relative cakewalk in comparison when looking back
    No thanks. I tip how I feel the service went. If one gives me bad service, I won't tip at all. if I get great service, I'll tip generously. This type of attitude, however, would incline me to tip less if it was the mindset the waiter had.

Exactly. If you aren't happy with your wage, look elsewhere!

It only sucks when you have high expectations to begin with. I would say it's 15 bucks for maybe an 1.5hr dinner by a table out of maybe 4 you may have been serving. Pretty good money imo

I also know that most waiters, myself included, made very decent money, well over my friend counterparts and even working less hrs due to tips. Point is that yea, while you may have bad tables, you are still making quite a bit more than min wage all said and done AND you get to take your tips home every night and not wait once every 2 weeks to get any of your earnings like nearly everyone else. I do miss that part of waiting.

Where did I say you were less of a person? For instance...my mother is a nurse and guess what? she has never been tipped for bringing someone's child into this world and I would wager most people value that service much more than being served food.

And yes, serving food is of relative unimportance. Sorry to have to state that but it just is

I have nothing against tipping if it is warranted. Once it becomes expected by people for merely doing their jobs is when I start to take issue with it

Here is a figure from my school's website, not to mention stuff like CL for jobs. Note the scroll bar...there are tons posted. With that said, I find it hard to believe it's difficult finding another job if you dislike waiting if your university is anything like mine

Attached Files:

23. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Hey, sometimes you gotta tip em'. They do a good job and are mindful of my dog if he's in the back yard. In the end, that cash is worth it if my dog doesn't escape from my back yard. He cuts it every Friday and I feel that it is worth it.

24. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Tip all hot females, regardless of their service. That's why they're hot in the first place. Verbally abuse anyone else. HaHa.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically you do it on pre-tax, but I usually do it post, just for convenience

I tip based on quality of service, usually between 15 and 20%, though when I've had some horrible service, I've held back my tip completey.

I still tip the driver even if there's a delivery charge, which is typically used to offset gas and/or the driver never sees this.