How do you type?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, Feb 29, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

So, when your writing on iChat, MSN or whatever generic IM client you use, or maybe when your sending a e-mail to a mate, how do you type? Do you type in full English like this? Or use txt tlk lke ths lol? My girlfriend wriites lyk thiis all the tyme along wiith a lot of other gyals nd iits annoyiin!!!!

Anyway, you get the idea, so how do you type?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

with my toes... in full obviously. If you type like that you come across as a bit dull in my opinion. No offense meant to your girlfriend.

3. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i can't STAND when people do that. i use lol and wtf and that's about it. anything beyond that is done as a joke. (ie: OMGWTFBBQ?!?!1!1) i don't bother with capitals, only when i'm at work of course.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

itypejustlikethisasidontseetheneedtowastetimewithneedlessspacesandpunctuation

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I type in full english even when text messaging. I can't stand ppl who typ lke tis...

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I have an irrational compulsion to type as properly as I can. As perfect spelling and grammar as I can possibly muster. Doesn't mean that I'm good with proper writing (or typing) though. :eek:

7. stomer macrumors 6502a

Irrespective of the context, I always try to make sure that I use the correct punctuation, spelling and grammar.

I frequently communicate with non-native English speakers (family and other 3rd parties), and I try to avoid the situation where my use of English is being corrected.

8. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I originally came in thinking that this was a discussion on our typing methods (I have poor typing skills BTW, because I use the same six fingers when typing and therefore have to look down alot:eek:)

But when it comes to typing posts, I'm with everyone else (so far) as far as taking shortcuts when typing being sloppy work (abbreviations aside). Even on a cell phone I take the extra minute (I'm a slow typer there too) to form my words fully when texting.

I wonder how long it's going to be before a '1337' speller comes in to voice their opinion...:rolleyes:

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've tried using the abbreviations and such, but I'm just too much in the habit of spelling things out. I'll use the occassional acronym, but that's really about it. I have to type too many formal communications for work as it is so it's just too much of a habit. It bothers me when I find that other co-workers send out e-mails using abbreviated words to our customers. It just seems so unprofessional.

sometimes i'll get lazy and won't capitalize....but only if the communication's informal.

10. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Most of the time I talk properly. If I'm one handed I will shorten things. Only "u" for you. I never do "r" for are. I use lol and OMG, wtf but that is as far as it goes. I never put "ur". That one drives me insane!

When people talk like "m8" for mate, "ur" and generally what you typed in your first post, it just screams 10 year old! Or well it does to me anyway. I talk properly in my text messages too.

11. mashny macrumors regular

I hate the new "I'm so cool" chat lingo. I use full words, proper punctuation, and try my best not to sound like a thirteen-year-old idiot.

12. mashny macrumors regular

I do occasionally use emoticons if I'm afraid what I've said might be misinterpreted.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

i neva rly use capitals but i make sure what im riting is readable. kinda like this.

14. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Full English. Full Time.

A few exceptions of course. Not too many though. :cool:

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use full English, sprinkled with a little Spanish, and Leet and TXT only if I'm in a hurry or being ironic.

TEG

16. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII

Me too! Therefore, it takes me quite long to text. :rolleyes:

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i abbreviate whenever appropriate. i hate capitalizing but all those bad practices come back sometimes when i'm writing real e-mails at work.

but for me it's all about using less keystrokes, getting more said with less typing

18. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

I hunt and peck rather than using home row, and type 100WPM with proper grammar and spelling somehow.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In forum posts and email, I type in complete sentences with proper capitalization, grammar, etc. I proofread before posting.

with instant messaging, i type in lowercase, use punctuation only to be clear, and i live with speling erors since i don't proofread

I don't use lol but I use bbiam, since when I need it, it's in a hurry!

When I write formal letters in longhand, I.... Wait a minute -- I never do that!

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

when i'm using msn i still put punctuation where necessary but don't usually worry about capitalisation

21. shecky Guest

shecky

writing? whazat?

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, the only time I type like

hey dude
    wats up
    nmu
    nm
    i got a macbook

is when I am instant messaging somebody whom I know very well, it's unprofessional or just downright slobby otherwise.

23. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

It varies ^^ I don't really use capitals much; most of the time it's full english unless I'm hungry/feeling sad/overwhelmed by cute pictures. . in which case I turn into a bit of a lolcat. :rolleyes:

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I type in full english even when I text on my iPhone.

25. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I type lIkE tHiZzZ!!111!! seriously tho, I usually just abbreviate long words and mabey throw in a few "lol"s for emphasis.