How do you use BiteSMS with iOS 5?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mnsportsgeek, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

It seems as if though BiteSMS doesn't play very nicely with iOS 5. When I get a message while the phone is asleep. I get the BiteSMS notification on top of the actual iOS notification. Is there way to get one or the other? Also, I don't necessarily like the pop up when I get a message while using the device, it seems like a step backwards to me. What setting configuration do you guys use?

2. Senex macrumors member

Seems fully-configurable to me...

Side note ...I've been a longtime reader of the MR Forums, and finally decided to join!

Afurry13, have you looked into the BiteSMS settings? In previous versions, the app included a pretty robust set of options for customizing notifications, and the latest version continues that trend.

For your first question:
    In BSMS settings->Quick Reply->Lock Screen, there's an toggle for "Auto Show Quick Reply". If this is set to ON, then the BiteSMS quick reply will pop up over the iOS notification for the most recently-received message. Once the phone sleeps again without acknowledging the message, this will not show back up. If it is set to OFF, then the messages will appear with the usual iOS notification only, and sliding the icon for any one pending message will bring up a quick reply for that message individually.

Second question:
    The settings can be tricky, but playing around with BiteSMS options in combination with notification center options will probably get you the style you're looking for.

For example, in BSMS settings->Quick Reply->Alert Style, mine is set to "Use Apple Settings" (those I have already enabled in Notification Center through iOS settings), which for me is the rotating top bar only. If I'm in the middle of something, I don't necessarily want the Quick Reply screen popping up and interrupting me. If I then tap the top bar showing the new message, the QR screen will appear and I can reply. Just below that BSMS setting, "In Notification Center" allows you to set behavior for tapping the Notification popup ...opening BSMS or simply showing a Quick Reply popup.

Hopefully all that made sense.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great info Senex.
    Im looking forward to using my bitesms again on my 4S down the road.
    And like you said you just gotta play with the bitesms and notification settings to find out what and how you like to be notified.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Seems like some helpful info thanks Senex.

I also plan on jailbreaking my 4S but this will be my first time. Any other apps or tweaks you recommend? Any useful place to help me with how and where to download stuff?

5. Senex macrumors member

Recommended (off the top of my head):

AptBackup
    This compiles the list of apps/tweaks/themes you've installed via Cydia. It doesn't actually back up any apps themselves or any associated data, but it does create a little file that, when you sync your phone (jailbroken or not) gets saved in your iTunes backup file. If you ever lose the jailbreak or restore, AptBackup will reinstall all of your packages/jailbreak apps in one step. (more info)

BiteSMS
    Widely discussed. I will say that this app is worth jailbreaking for, all by itself. (more info)

Call Bar
    Stops incoming calls from interrupting you in whatever you're doing by notifying you through the notification center at the top of the screen. (more info)

Five Icon Dock
    Just what the name implies, it squeezes five app icons into the Springboard dock instead of four. (more info)

IntelliscreenX
    If the iOS notification center is a little league diamond, this turns it into a major league stadium. It's a feature-rich, paged expansion of notification center. (more info)

Lockscreen Dim Delay
    Allows you to specify how long the backlight stays on during lockscreen notifications, from 1 second up to 30 minutes ...for those who hate their batteries. I like to have 15-20 seconds set for mine. (more info)

My3G
    Another favorite, My3G unshackles your apps from the restrictions imposed by being on a carrier network. That is, for example, YouTube dumbs down video quality when you're not on WiFi, and the App Store will not allow you to download apps over a certain size until you connect to WiFi. Most importantly, it allows Facetime use over the network. Essentially, it tricks your apps into thinking they're on WiFi when they're not. Useful. (more info)

WeatherIcon
    I use this to put the current outdoor temperature and weather conditions in little icons on the status bar. (more info)

-----
    There are hundreds and thousands of tweaks, apps, themes, etc available, but these are always good starters with which to baptize yourself into the world of jailbreaking. All of these are available through the installer known as "Cydia", an app you'll find when you first jailbreak.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Thanks a lot Senex, I appreciate it! Gonna save this post for whenever a jailbreak is available for the 4S.

7. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you so much, this is just what I was looking for. Very thorough and clear.

8. huyrich, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

huyrich macrumors newbie

..Nvm. I figured it out...

But, in the lock screen with Quick Reply, if you have passcode for the phone and for BiteSMS, tapping on Popup or Template will bring up something pretty funny: 4 squares for the passcode and a qwerty keyboard :D. Guess it's a bug. Another bug is to hide QR bar in lock mode (Settings, Notification Privacy, QR/QC Message Bar in Lock Mode), it doesn't work, it's still there.

9. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the status bar icon tap (beta) to access the message and at the same time keep it out of notification center?

When I turn messages off for notification center and I tap the status bar icon when I get a message it doesn't open the text, just pulls down NC, but since I have messages off it doesn't take me to the message at all.

I can't even put the messages in the intelliscreenx top shelf =/

I would love the option to use only the status bar icon to access my messages. With everyone I know having ios5 now, anyone who gets a hold of my phone will know how to access the received messages through the NC.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or is this just not possible?

10. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY keep the "Quick Reply" Window open (homescreen and lockscreen) when receiving an incoming text?

I've noticed that the QR window disappears too quick and I would like to have it remain on the screen until the user takes action to either close or open it.

11. Prey macrumors newbie

Prey

Wirelessly posted

there is no way

12. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Cannot say if you can delete the QR for biteSMS.

However you can disable the QR from the lockscreen by switching the "auto show quick reply" to off and change the alert style to "use apple settings".

This can be achieved in the biteSMS settings menu.

13. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

^^^ Yeah that's another option but I was hoping that this was possible with the QR. I emailed the devs and they confirmed that this is not possible in iOS5.

14. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I am new to JB. What's the general consensus with BiteSMS? Is it better then stock Messages? Too buggy? I dont want to use it to buy text message credits. I use my carrier. Still worth it or should I use Message+ instead? Thanks

15. GUILTIE macrumors regular

From what I've read, the consensus appears to be that biteSMS is the superior Messaging app on the iPhone. For many, it's the main reason to jailbrake. I was in this camp, and after only a few hours of use, I can see why it's so loved. It has some great features and is incredibly customizable.

16. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks...Do you find it buggy at all? Have you tried Messages+?

17. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Well I have only been using it for a few hours, but so far no bugs. I have not tried Messages+.

From what I've read and seen on YouTube, biteSMS seems to be more of a full featured messaging application. However, if you buy Intelliscreenx, it comes with Messages+ for free.

18. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I've used Messages+ for a few days and I felt like Messages+ was an extension of the original Messages app rather than a replacement. Offhand, I think it offered just the Quick Compose feature, whereas BiteSMS gives you that, Quick Reply, forwarding, templates/signatures, being able to passcode lock BiteSMS, etc.

FWIW, you do not have to purchase credits. You can have it set so that all messages go through your carrier.

19. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if messages+ has quick reply also? Overall do you prefer Messages+ or BiteSMS?

20. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I love BiteSMS, but have been having issues lately in the lock screen. I want to use QR, but once the phone sleeps and I wake it up, the notifications are on top of the other Lockinfo notifications.. Kinda annoying.

21. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Y'know, I just posted this in another thread, but that's been happening with my Facebook notifications as well. I just started using LockInfo. It's weird, it used to not do that.

----------

I prefer BiteSMS. It's more robust. I also like that it adds Contact pictures to the messages list and to Quick Replies. Finally, a point to having contact pictures!

I believe you can a free trial, but I don't remember exactly. I'd give it a shot.

22. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Issue I'm having with BiteSMS, ISX and iOS 5.1.1 on my 4s is as follows:

On my lockscreen, I don’t want to see the Apple slide to dismiss. I only want to see the BiteSMS QR popup. The way it works now is I have to slide to dismiss the Apple Notification and then the QR Pop-up is “behind” it. I also have ISX installed. Is this possible on the iphone 4s?

[​IMG]

23. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I have a BiteSMS question. Does anyone know of a way to disable the feature where if I tap on the status bar icon it displays the notification center? I want to keep the blue icon in the status bar but disable that tap feature. Since it doesn't pop up the quick reply window any more when you tap the icon but instead drops down the notification center, it's more annoying than useful. Whenever I want to use a status bar activator action, but have an unread text message, I'm always accidentally opening the notification center. Does anyone know how I can keep the icon but disable the NC?

24. neotope macrumors regular

I have the same setup and under Notifications / Message I have the Alert set to None. That way I only get the BiteSMS alert.

25. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Huh? Where exactly are you referring to please? Notifications/messages and then which setting exactly?

I have Alert Style set to none.

[​IMG]