How do you use your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bkitchen0406, Mar 12, 2012.

1. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

Leaving out the obvious such as email, facebook, surfing, youtube, games; what are some of the ways you use your iPad a newb might not think about. Especially something that works out better on the iPad then the iphone. Maybe some things you found out months or years later after owning your iPad that you wish you came across sooner. Thanks for all your ideas.

2. Gorion macrumors member

A couple things I do - I like to read on it using iBooks. I think that kind of falls under the list you provided already though. But I also use it for remote desktop and citrix connections for work when I'm not at home. It works out really well, especially if you have 3G/4G

3. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I use it to show my clients design comps and photographs.

4. Vorpal279 macrumors member

I do my banking and keep my checkbook balance on it. Also I use the calendar to plan my events and set reminders. I use iBooks and Kindle apps for e-books.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Lately, I've been using it to check my order status.

6. Gorion macrumors member

lmao!

7. cwosigns macrumors 65816

My iPad serves a couple purposes:

Entertainment: All of the things you described. It's my newspaper, magazine, book, TV when I travel, games, web surfing, in-flight entertainment system, etc.

Work: I work for a technology company that is, ironically enough, kind of ass backwards when it comes to getting their employees the tools they need to do their job. My department could REALLY use photoshop, but it's not on the approved software list. So I use Photoshop Touch on my iPad to do all of the photo editing that I need. I also keep PDFs, PowerPoint, Word and Excel files on there for reference (which sync to my iPhone so I always have them with me). Note-taking in meetings, creating and editing training presentations.

My iPad is pretty much my right hand.

8. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I write music, I record music, tonight I started a whole project on my iPad using Sunrizer Synth, then exporting to GarageBand for iPad to complete my sketch, and then sending it over to Logic Pro on my Mac. I can do so much on iPad that I wouldn't be able to do on the go with a MacBook because the iPad can be manipulated. It's such an artist UI that allows me one to really manipulate the software, and this is breakthrough for musicians.

I also use it for graphic design, with apps like Sketchbook Pro and Procreate?

I also manage my web design work on the go or away from my desktop. I can post, check analytics and work on design work for my sites.

I also, of course, keep up with all my technology geeky stuff on my iPad!

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love using Reeder to read RSS feeds. It's a trusty companion during my commute on the train.

10. bkitchen0406 thread starter macrumors member

You guys are making this a really good and helpful thread. My wife and I have iphones, but this our first ipad. I don't share well so one for each. We are total geeks and will be going through all your ideas on this thread during launch. So far the only other thing I thought of is using the dictation software to work on my second novel. I don't make much money these days and work a cake job because of an illness, so getting iPads is a really big deal for us.

Thanks for making it even better!

11. Gorion macrumors member

You will really enjoy the iPad.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Not sure what I will do with iPad when I get it. Everyday I go out I use my iPhone 4s to play games check FB, twitter, email and photography. Sometime I watch youtube.

13. jojoba macrumors 68000

Work: I've used my iPad to go paperless in the office. I use it for all my work related reading/ annotation of documents, and it functions as my virtual notebook. I also use it for skyping with colleagues located elsewhere.

Fun: besides web browsing, I have an excellent backgammon game installed :D and 123D Sculpt which is a lot of fun, and I also have some meditation apps on it. I also have various local transportation apps for planning travel, and I use it as an e-reader (Kindle and Kobobooks) from time to time (but I do most of my 'fun' reading on my e-readers).