How do you use your MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sazza85, May 8, 2011.

1. sazza85 macrumors member

Do you use your MBP on your lap? or on a desk/hard surface?

Okay, so i have an early 2011 MBP, first one was faulty with overheating/shut down issues and for me, this one is still running uncomfortably hot for my liking (between 80-90 degrees). After taking it into Apple today about this and a few other problems. When discussing the heat 'issue' I was told that the macbook pro ranges are not designed for using on your lap, that they should be on a 'hard surface' due to the heat. Mind you apple's website does state that it should not be used on your lap for a 'prolonged period of time' - in my case it can reach 90 degrees 10mins after a cold boot up (is this prolonged?)

SO i'm just curious as to how others use theirs, cause i use mine at university, in auditoriums where 'hard surfaces' are not available and your only option is your lap!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since you're at a university, would it be difficult to find a book to use between your MBP and your lap, or are books obsolete now? (It's been a long time since I've been in school!)

3. sazza85 thread starter macrumors member

I have a disability that prevents me from being able to write and take notes, so I have to type them.

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Heh, I was going to post the same question for the same reason.

I rarely use my lap and never for extended periods of time. Desks and tables.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Is a portable surface an option?

6. sazza85 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah not all of us have the luxury though of being able to have a desk readily available. I mean I have a summary of reasonable adjustments so far to allow me to take the laptop in and take notes with no problems but to be honest, i dunno how much more of this heat I can take.

As for a portable surface... Not really. All my books and laptop are carried around in a case on wheels and the surface that I do have at home (for use here) is too big to be able to store it in the case. I always like to have one hand free when walking around lol

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What does that have to do with simply using a book as a shield between your MBP and your lap? I'm not suggesting you write and take notes. Just lay a book on your lap, then lay the MBP on the book.

8. sazza85 thread starter macrumors member

lol, wonders of dyslexia, didn't register the 'as a shield between' part.

My books are relatively small (and thin!) i don't know if it would create a sufficient enough shield to protect the heat. - they're only about 200 pages thick. ahh what the hell, i only created this thread to find out a generalised perspective on how people use their mbp's.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

And a more expensive option would be to get an iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard.

11. mikeytwice macrumors member

12. redrory macrumors newbie

I use mine 75% on a desk. 20% on the bed (watching movies) and 5% in my lap. It does get pretty hot, I always have to use a pillow to save my lap from the heat.

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Are you streaming video or encoding within 10 minutes of startup? If the temps are that high with word processing then something is wrong.

14. iCBF macrumors newbie

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

I use a Logitech riser N110 notebook stand + Apple USB keyboard + a bluetooth mouse. I prefer this setup because:

1) it keeps the macbook off the desk away from drinks and food (I eat pretty far away from it, and drinks are in a thermos, but it gives me peace of mind).
    2) it keeps the Macbook running cooler (I raise it up a bit off the platform at the bottom, so there is about an inch of clearance underneath, and the Macbook is basically suspended in the air).
    3) I prefer using the USB keyboard--it can be moved around, the keys are just right, etc.
    4) the monitor is at a much better height--a little below eye level.
    5) the mouse is easier to use for manipulating text.

Ergonomically speaking, I cannot imagine why anyone would use a macbook on their lap for any length of time. Once it is off your lap, any heat issues will dissipate :)

Assuming you are at home in front of the tv or something like that, you might want to try Ikea's "DAVE" computer stand. It's pretty convenient. put the bluetooth keyboard on your lap and the macbook on your stand, and again, you have solved the problem.

16. TenderBranson macrumors member

I usually use mine on a desk connected to a 20inch external monitor

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I use it on my lap usually without any serious heat problems. I usually only read pdfs or surf the web on my lap and that doesn't heat up anything.
    Only watching movies or flash videos for a longer period of time gets it hot.

I don't know what you do when you get to 90C in 10 min. You probably press it to hard use the IGP unless you really need the others speed which already helps a lot. If you do some encoding work or long comiling sessions it might be a good idea to put something between skin and notebook.

18. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I very occasionally use mine on my lap but not for very long. When I'm using it in bed or something I use a cooling tray thing. I don't even plug it in, so the fan isn't going, but this way it is on a hard surface and not directly on my lap or blankets.

19. iwoveU, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

iwoveU macrumors newbie

What/How do you use your MacBook Pro.

My life style and working conditions forces me to travel constantly. Everywhere I go my my 17" MacBook Pro aka RChoo goes with me. Lately I've had time to slow down a bit and discovered the wonderful world of Photoshop. I purchased a Canon D7 and just love what I can do with the images. I plan on switching out the old HD 200G to the Segate Momentus 500G hybyrd drive. But besides free phone calls, email and Facebook, MS office and watch movies How else do you use your MACBOOK Pro?

Looking for some feedback yall.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Mine is mostly at home. I rarely take it out. Since owning it from July 2010, I've only taken it out 3-5 times (to school).

21. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

unibody MB.

used when I travel and at home. have an old 20" iMac at work.

gf has a Blackbook at work and a 11" MBA at home.

we sync them all with Dropbox.

basic office stuff and specialized scientific software.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My 15" 2010 i7 | 8GB | 512 GB SSD MacBook Pro gets quite the workout.

During the week it goes to work with me every day, where I use it for a variety of complex scientific tasks.

Serving double duty as my personal machine at home as well as out & about, I'm certainly getting my money's worth out of it.

And quite frankly I wouldn't have it any other way :)

23. jaynone macrumors member

Well, my MBP has been through 47 of the lower 48 states, and some of canada. Its got 250 SSID's in its memory (mostly hotels) and I mainly use it for email and Facebook :D

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Mine mostly sits at home, but whilst I was at uni it went everywhere with me. It's going to be travelling with me to the USA for 3 months, so very glad I decided to get a laptop and not a desktop :p

25. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I use it for mainly programming, playing a few games, going on reddit/macrumors/youtube, that kind of stuff. I take it to uni pretty much every day except the weekend so naturally it's got scratches, bumps, and scuffs. Hell, the dvd drive doesn't even work, the camera just stopped working for no reason and the graphics card has already fried once.

But still, it's been close to 4 years now that I've had this MBP and even though it's getting a bit elderly, I really love it to bits. :D