How do "you" watch avi's on OS4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tryppy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. tryppy macrumors member

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of another working avi player for a jailbroken OS4? (I'm using a 3Gs).

mplayer is currently broken as we know.
    AVPlayer tells me the video is not supported.

the only one i've got working was OpenStreamer. This player is a little choppy and I must adjust the settings to get it to play right. It works rather well once set up properly. The thing is, there are ads at the bottom of the video and from what I can tell there's no way to fast forward to the last spot I was at. The ads I can deal with. Not being able to fast forward is the issue.

Does anyone happen to have an alternative that works with OS4? Searching around hasn't helped much.

Would appreciate any direction.

Thanks

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Got some illegal .avis you want to watch? Download AirVideo.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Download Handbrake. It'll convert the AVI to a file the iPhone can read, as well as resize it so it looks good on the iPhone. And it's free :D

4. nobias macrumors regular

5. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

lol, did you get some enjoyment saying that?

I work for the internet provider in my city and we base our speeds results on the amount of time one can download a "TV show you missed" or a movie.

Now most of us have downloaded movies before :rolleyes: , but if you must know it's a tv series. Can't really access my pvr from here and want to watch it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I know about converting them and that's not the route I'm going. Might as well just wait till I'm home to watch it on tv.

Looks like I'll either go back to 3.x and use mplayer or wait till it's working with OS4.

OR, stick with openstreamer from cydia and be unable to fastforward or rewind. (from what i can tell)

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

7. eric237 macrumors newbie

8. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

How I play my .avi's

I know it was mentioned before, but AirVideo is awesome. It converts a video (.avi) you are watching in real time on your computer at home and streams it to your iPhone over 3g or WiFi.

When I'm away from home, I use iTeleport to download and unpack my files on the mac from my phone, and then I use AirVideo to stream the vid to wherever I am. I get excellent results from it, but I've only ever used it on WiFi.

I know this is not natively playing .avi's, but this is the best work-around I've been able to come up with... I hate taking the time to convert the vids and sync to my phone anyway.

9. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Another vote for OPlayer. I watched a 720p avi of Avatar tonight on my ip4. Great quality, played flawlessly. Didn't think I would like the "adding files through iTunes" thing, but it works really well (does not require a proper sync to move the files across).

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

just wondering where did u get avatar :p

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Perhaps I just don't "get it", but why would anyone want to watch a movie (especially Avatar) on a iPhone screen ?

12. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

A lot of Bluray DVD's include a mobile/ mp4 version of the movie. These can be saved to a Playstation's internal drive and watched w/o loading the disk.

13. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

It's been out for a while on Bluray (in UK at least?), and there are plenty of software packages which allow you to bypass the copy protection and rip on your laptop / desktop. There are also a LOT of torrents kicking about for it.

14. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

I spend two hours on a train every day to and from work. Sometime's its music or podcasts. Sometimes its a TV show / series. Sometimes its a Movie. Passes the time...

And showing someone who hasn't seen an iP4 Avatar on the retina display at full resolution usually blows them away!

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

it's been out for a long time on blue ray at least 3-4 months. I know because it was the 1st blue-ray I bought! Only time I bother with a movie is if I have to pull a over night or going on a trip with me daughter but she has her own touch. I delete them with in a week.

16. ignus graius macrumors regular

17. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I prop my iPhone on a treadmill in the gym everyday and watch tv/movies

18. jason221 macrumors 6502

720p video on iPhone 4 looks nearly flawless, that's why! (in response to why you'd watch a video on iPhone)

19. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

yxflash

Had some luck looking through all the multimedia apps in cydia and came across this one. yxflash

9.99$ cost. Does exactly what I needed. Allows you to browse the directory structure of the iPhone and select the video to play. Works on my 3Gs 4.0.

Don't think i'll get it (full) , already back at home and can watch it here lol. Hopefully a free model comes out soon that works well. Not sure I can justify paying that to watch an episode

20. rspy macrumors member

Just get Oplayer from iTunes.. For $2.99 it'll play almost everything, including .avi's.. Files can be synced 3 different ways, including right from iTunes..

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

oplayer is quite good actually, however .wmv files got kinda slow. the audio was there but the video was behind. avi files were better but they still exhibited that problem for a bit

22. rspy macrumors member

Have you tried skipping a frame and loop filter in settings?

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Yeah i turned them both on and then turned one on at a time, and the playback was even slower than before :[

24. Vonswanko macrumors regular

CineXPlayer from the iPad, installed on the iPhone, is how I watch .avi's then with Display out and the iPad VGA out to a 20in monitor. Works great.

25. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I use handbrake and airvideo. Some files I choose to convert to play in the stock ipod app and some I choose to convert on the fly and stream. Depends on whether or not I will have 3G or wifi signal when I watch them (i.e. on a plane I use handbrake and for catching up on a show at lunchtime at work I stream it through air video).