Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I'm a righty and I wear my AW on my left hand. I decided to try wearing AW with the crown on the left instead of the standard way of having the crown on right because there are times when I need to hold the AW up to my ear to hear even with the better speaker in the AW4. Now, when I lift my arm with the crown on the left, AW speaker is pointing and projecting directly to my ear. But now using the crown and button is more awkward as I need to overturn my right hand more to use the crown and button.

I'm also thinking of wearing the AW on the bottom of my wrist. IMO, it definitely doesn't look as good wearing that way. And the display might not turn on as easily as I'm flicking my wrist in the other direction.

Anyway, do you wear your AW with the crown toward your hand or toward your elbow? Anybody wear their AW on the bottom of their wrist for an extended period of time?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Anyway, do you wear your AW with the crown toward your hand or toward your elbow? Anybody wear their AW on the bottom of their wrist for an extended period of time?

Nope, keep the crown outwards and also I only switch the dial to inner wrist when I’m at the gym and doing any exercise that might scratch the screen if I kept it on the outer wrist.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I’m right handed and have my watch on the left with the crown facing the right.
I’ve never worn a watch facing the inside of my wrist and can only imagine it would get badly scratched if you did.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Anybody wear their AW on the bottom of their wrist for an extended period of time?
Not clear what "the bottom of their wrist" means to you. I wear mine near the wrist, just above the styloid process of the ulna (the bump on the outside of the arm, just above the wrist). I've heard that wearing the watch atop the styloid process leads to inaccurate heart rate measurements, as the sensors may not have full contact with your skin. Also, if the digital crown faces towards your hand and you wear the watch too close to the wrist, flexing your hand upward might accidentally press the crown/button.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Left hand, crown facing hand. I keep it far enough back on my wrist that if I bend my hand back as far it can go that it doesn't interfere with the crown.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
right handed
watch on left wrist, with crown on left

I wear gloves at work sometimes ("work" gloves, not medical) and the buttons kept getting pressed when I bent my wrist up.
although haven't been to work since mid-march.

Reactions: jhfenton

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Not clear what "the bottom of their wrist" means to you. I wear mine near the wrist, just above the styloid process of the ulna (the bump on the outside of the arm, just above the wrist). I've heard that wearing the watch atop the styloid process leads to inaccurate heart rate measurements, as the sensors may not have full contact with your skin. Also, if the digital crown faces towards your hand and you wear the watch too close to the wrist, flexing your hand upward might accidentally press the crown/button.
By bottom of the wrist I mean having the watch dial/face on the same side as your palm. You'd flick your arm so that you're facing your palm to see the time. It might be an easier motion for the body, but it seems AW doesn't turn on as reliably. It won't be too much of an issue with the upcoming AW that I plan to get as it will have always on display. It doesn't look as good though IMO wearing on the underside (bottom) of the wrist.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
By bottom of the wrist I mean having the watch dial/face on the same side as your palm. You'd flick your arm so that you're facing your palm to see the time. It might be an easier motion for the body, but it seems AW doesn't turn on as reliably. It won't be too much of an issue with the upcoming AW that I plan to get as it will have always on display. It doesn't look as good though IMO wearing on the underside (bottom) of the wrist.
Ah! Thanks for clarifying. I haven't tried it that way, and I haven't seen Apple illustrate its use in that way.

I'm not sure whether "flicking your wrist in the other direction" matters, since direction of rotation is already different for use on right wrist vs. left wrist. I think the rotational force matters more than the direction of rotation.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

My dad wore his watch that way. Obviously, it was not an Watch. He passed long before the Watch was a thing.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Ah! Thanks for clarifying. I haven't tried it that way, and I haven't seen Apple illustrate its use in that way.

I'm not sure whether "flicking your wrist in the other direction" matters, since direction of rotation is already different for use on right wrist vs. left wrist. I think the rotational force matters more than the direction of rotation.
Makes sense, i’m not flicking with the same force. I don’t think i could get used to wearing it on the underside my wrist even though it’s practical. Mostly because it’s not cool fashionable. Wearing a watch over sleeve cuff is even more practical but even more unfashionabl.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Did he ever tell you why he wore that way?

He joked that it was safer - if he was drinking a cup of coffee and someone asked him what time it was, wearing his watch that way caused him to spill his coffee on them rather than on himself.

But actually he had two reasons for wearing his watch that way. The first was that he worked construction and wearing his watch with the face/crystal inside his wrist protected it from accidental breakage. The second allowed him to glance at the time nonchalantly, rather than raising his elbow, and twisting his wrist to see the watch face.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
By bottom of the wrist I mean having the watch dial/face on the same side as your palm.

I wore my Rolex that way for over 20 years, but I've been wearing my AW on top of my wrist. Since the AW has a lot more info on the screen, it's easier to have it there.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Right-handed and wear it on left wrist with crown facing away from wrist. I use my thumb to press buttons and turn the crown. It's not awkward at all.
+1 I wear mine this way. I actually find it easier and more natural to use my thumb on the buttons and my index finger on the screen. It also avoids the problem of the crown being pressed if the Watch slips down, and I bend my wrist too far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.