How DOES Apple Manipulate the Media So???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by finalcoolman, Jan 15, 2008.

1. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

I am still trying to figure out how they do it. When I saw the Macbook Air, I yawned. A thin, 13.3" laptop with no optical drive. I've seen this before, FIVE bloody years ago in 2003. Yet Apple takes credit for making such a thin laptop, and the blind fanbase happily gives it to them. I am not an Apple hater, I am still happy with my last gen 12" inch iBook and love OS X, I just don't like how manipulative and controling of the media this company has become. The spin I saw from Steve Jobs today, that what we are seeing is actually never seen before, disqusts me. It's like how rulers used to control their populace long ago by having knowledge of events such as the eclipses, and saying they did it. I see no difference between them and Steve Jobs. He knows his fanbase has tunnel vision with blinders, and exploits it.

Back to the Macbook Air, it's ironic that he compared it to the Sony TZ, which was interesting since that is an 11" laptop with an optical drive. He completly and conveniently forgot to mention from the same competitor the Sony X505, which the Macbook Air is CLEARLY modeled after. It is a 13" laptop with no optical drive, just like the X505, but five years later. If he expressed it that this is new for Apple, and never before could you get a computer like this with OS X, that would be honest and I would approve. But with his swager and arrogance on stage, it is clear that he was putting this forth as a world's first. His and Apple's attempted rewritting of history, I do not approve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. meagain macrumors 68030

Processor: Intel Pentium M (1.1 GHz); RAM installed: 512 MB
    And where is multi-touch? And.... where IS the trackpad at all?
    And this costs???? Almost 3k?

3. finalcoolman thread starter macrumors 6502

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did you miss the point when the OP said FIVE YEARS AGO????

i agree with the op on this one

5. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I agree...

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

It's made of, like... plastic? Like a model car? Was it just a prototype or did they try to sell them?

Plus it's thicker.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my post above says its thinner

and you are missing the point. WHICH IS that this is not a new concept yet apple is making it out to be one. AND its from 2003 not 2008 lol

and um the mb line, which is the most popular apple notebook is made of plastic. so what's your point again?

10. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

11. em500 macrumors regular

They sold them in Asia only. And it's made from carbon fiber, which is super strong and light and doesn't dent and crumple like aluminum.

12. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Well in today's market, the Macbook Air is far superior and getting a C2D in that size with that foot print is a worlds first. I think this is a case where almost in every way, the MBA is a first and only in the world; But you're right, the X505 is almost just as small.

I think they couldn't have pitched it any other way and I don't believe its manipulating, maybe bending the truth a little?

Edit: Actually CNEt says it is 0.8" thick so I guess the MBA is the thinnest still. Definitely the most powerful for its size.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

iLike this!

Attempt by a moronic fanboi so beautifully countered by Apple's own incompetency!

14. macjay macrumors 6502

Apple hired some former Sony laptop engineers a few years ago.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Wow. That's a gorgeous computer. And yeah, I agree with the OP; Sony did the sexytinynotebook thing long before the Air Macbook came along.

16. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

wow

Yes, it would be so amazingly crappy and outdated to have a plastic laptop. Oh wait, I remember, 99% or so of all laptops (including the MB) are also plastic. So I would hardly use the lack of aluminum as a design flaw.

17. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I remember that thing from back in the day, it always looked like a sick laptop. So thin...

I think they could've made the macbook air smaller, or at least with more ports and features. I don't know if it's just me but the motherboard seemed ridiculously tiny. They shoudl've trimmed one third of an inch or something around all the borders.

18. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Apple has always been good at marketing. Some would even say that's all they're great at too, but its true, they are masters at marketing. That and the fact that competitors don't seem to be doing much marketing on their achievements either.

19. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Yeah it's pretty damning of Apple that they pretend like this is some revolutionary concept when this Sony came out 5 years ago with almost the same thinness. Of course when Apple comes out with something it is front page news everywhere...but that boils down to their track record of making great products and having a superb (and I'm sure every very well paid) marketing team....

On the flip side, I hope what this computer represents is a way to introduce some of its aspects into future machines. I am interested in seeing how this product evolves 2 to 3 years from now and what kind of specs it will have then....

20. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Old Idea+Apple+New Hardware-Function=Revolutionary?:confused:

21. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

And VGN-X505 was a 10.2" model that was 0.4" thick... now that's thin!

(there were several different X505 models, PCG-X505, VGN-X505 and possibly more).

22. Catch macrumors 6502

Wake up... Apple says the same about ANY product launch. Do you understand the concept of PR spin and advertising? Have you never seen the Arial adverts? New and improved formula... Revolutionary design statements on cars. I mean the thing has four wheels and an engine...

Its meant to sell things. Since when was advertising the beacon of truth?

If you really think Steve thinks ALL their products are revolutionary and firsts this and firsts that you really are in the twilight zone.

So to sum up; Its advertising spin...

Regards,

C

23. Catch macrumors 6502

Steve Job is a master of spin. He employs an army of PR/advertising people that are at the top of their game.

Before Steve came back and rescued Apple it was going down the pan fast. This is why he earns the VERY big $$$. Say what you will about him, but he is a very very good executive...

Regards,

C

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Which was pretty much the point of the thread :rolleyes: We realise this fact, thank you.

25. Catch macrumors 6502

If you realize this then what's the point of the post?

C