how does at&t prorate a new data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

ok, this may be a weird question, but ...

i just upgraded from my voice only plan to the new iphone 4 with a 200 mb monthly plan.

i activated it yesterday (july 29), and my billing period ends (aug 2). when my online account which shows i've used 1mb of my 200mb so far, but with a footnote that says "rate will be prorated," does that mean i will get into the "overage" range if i use ~ 4-5/30 of my 200 mb? ie, ~27 mb?

i doubt in general i'll go over 200mb on a given month, but given this will be my first week using the iphone, it's easy to conceive my usage will be a bit heavier during the first week.

any thoughts/ experiences with this?

thanks!

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Generally with AT&T, if you paid for the 200mb plan, you have 200mb. Whether or not you use all of it is irrelevant since they'll charge you the same amount regardless. In the event you exceed the 200mb limit then there is overage amounts (I don't know what those are off hand) that you will be invoiced for. Seeing as you just got your iPhone, I'd keep a close tab on the usage and hope you don't go over.

3. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Yes, you will get overage charges if you go over the pro-rated amount. You can use (4/30)*200 = ~26 MB of data, if you use more you will go over and be charged more for it. When you are charged you will pay (4/30)*15 + 15 for your prorated + first month's bill. The same holds true for your voice plan.

To check on how much data you are currently using and how much you have left, call *DATA# and it will send you a free text message with the details.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Best answer here..

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The AT&T myWireless app is also a nice way to check your usage

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

Yup they actually showed I have around 20 SMS and 30MB of data prorated.

7. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips.

i download the AT&T app, but unlike someone else experienced, it shows that i've 200 mb of data available... (i already had text messaging and voice on my prior phone and those are as usual)

oh well, i'll just be a bit careful before Aug 3, just in case. but i guess since it's prorated, it's not like it would cost me "that much" if i had to dip into a prorated $15 for the next prorated 200mb.

8. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

It won't show you your current data usage if you've changed your data rate in the past 30 days. Have to go to the AT&T site for that, and then you only see what you've used since the change. (Just changed my wife from 2gb that I signed her up on down to 200mb.)

9. gcoghill macrumors member

gcoghill

Do they prorate the amount of data used, or the number of days you've used the plan you are currently on?

Trying to figure out what the best approach is for the months I think I may exceed.

10. quantumAnn macrumors newbie

quantumAnn

Good answer with one correction. The *DATA# text will NOT tell you how much data you have left. It will only tell you the total un-prorated amount on your plan, which is the same as what you can see in your online account.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: After five years it's better to start a new thread. Carriers can and do change what they do over time.

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.