how does at&t prorate a new data plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
ok, this may be a weird question, but ...

i just upgraded from my voice only plan to the new iphone 4 with a 200 mb monthly plan.

i activated it yesterday (july 29), and my billing period ends (aug 2). when my online account which shows i've used 1mb of my 200mb so far, but with a footnote that says "rate will be prorated," does that mean i will get into the "overage" range if i use ~ 4-5/30 of my 200 mb? ie, ~27 mb?

i doubt in general i'll go over 200mb on a given month, but given this will be my first week using the iphone, it's easy to conceive my usage will be a bit heavier during the first week.

any thoughts/ experiences with this?

thanks!

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Generally with AT&T, if you paid for the 200mb plan, you have 200mb. Whether or not you use all of it is irrelevant since they'll charge you the same amount regardless. In the event you exceed the 200mb limit then there is overage amounts (I don't know what those are off hand) that you will be invoiced for. Seeing as you just got your iPhone, I'd keep a close tab on the usage and hope you don't go over.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Yes, you will get overage charges if you go over the pro-rated amount. You can use (4/30)*200 = ~26 MB of data, if you use more you will go over and be charged more for it. When you are charged you will pay (4/30)*15 + 15 for your prorated + first month's bill. The same holds true for your voice plan.

To check on how much data you are currently using and how much you have left, call *DATA# and it will send you a free text message with the details.

Reactions: quantumAnn

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yes, you will get overage charges if you go over the pro-rated amount. You can use (4/30)*200 = ~26 MB of data, if you use more you will go over and be charged more for it. When you are charged you will pay (4/30)*15 + 15 for your prorated + first month's bill. The same holds true for your voice plan.

To check on how much data you are currently using and how much you have left, call *DATA# and it will send you a free text message with the details.
Best answer here..

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for the tips.

i download the AT&T app, but unlike someone else experienced, it shows that i've 200 mb of data available... (i already had text messaging and voice on my prior phone and those are as usual)

oh well, i'll just be a bit careful before Aug 3, just in case. but i guess since it's prorated, it's not like it would cost me "that much" if i had to dip into a prorated $15 for the next prorated 200mb.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
The AT&T myWireless app is also a nice way to check your usage
It won't show you your current data usage if you've changed your data rate in the past 30 days. Have to go to the AT&T site for that, and then you only see what you've used since the change. (Just changed my wife from 2gb that I signed her up on down to 200mb.)

gcoghill

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Ohio
Do they prorate the amount of data used, or the number of days you've used the plan you are currently on?

Trying to figure out what the best approach is for the months I think I may exceed.

quantumAnn

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
Good answer with one correction. The *DATA# text will NOT tell you how much data you have left. It will only tell you the total un-prorated amount on your plan, which is the same as what you can see in your online account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.