Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Sorry, but you are as confusing as ever. No one knows for certain what time this year The New iPad will go on sale but you can bet that it will more than likely be 5pm like the past 2 years. As for the iPad 2 launch, again it was also 5PM.
im sorry for sucky bad english sometimes.
I thought apple announced at their media event for the IPAD2, that their sales would be 5pm? If yes, then they didnt this last event, thus logical would be that its not going to be 5pm.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I don't remember them saying 5 PM was the launch time at the event. I think at may have come as a press release after the event but I could be wrong.

The original iPad launched at the store opening in the morning, but there was a reservation system. Maybe they'll announce reservations early next week as well, like they did with the 4S eventually.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Mall = perfect camp out situation.

Assuming it's a morning launch instead of 5pm like iPad 2 :mad:

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Mall = perfect camp out situation.

Assuming it's a morning launch instead of 5pm like iPad 2 :mad:

did you read page 1? It is definatly not a perfect solution.
There was alot chaos when the doors of the mall opened.
I hope they fix that this time. We'l see.

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
I thought apple announced at their media event for the IPAD2, that their sales would be 5pm? If yes, then they didnt this last event, thus logical would be that its not going to be 5pm.

Are you saying that if last year it was announced at 5pm but this year there was no definite announcement as far as specific time, that that logically means it is NOT at 5pm?

I think that is what you are saying but I don't think that the lack of info at the keynote dictates one time or another. I think it simply means it is yet to be announced.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Are you saying that if last year it was announced at 5pm but this year there was no definite announcement as far as specific time, that that logically means it is NOT at 5pm?

I think that is what you are saying but I don't think that the lack of info at the keynote dictates one time or another. I think it simply means it is yet to be announced.

hmmm that can be true.....il wait then. I already bought a train ticket so i am bound to the times of the ticket. Meaning i will arrive there at the day before launch 22:00. sucks big time if i have to wait 19 hours.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Apple employees normally arrive at the mall about 4am to prep for the launch day. Normally, there is a designated area outside of the mall to start queuing. Apple employees will check on the queue outside of the mall in intervals.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I always wondered, when camping out like that, what do you do when you need to go to the bathroom? Do you be discreet and use a chamberpot or what?

nothing you can do if youre not among friends. if you are with someone you know, you can just tell youre going to the toilet and be right back. Then you can fit right back in without comments.
Its a bit of cheating, but there's no alternative. when you gotta go, you gotta go.

----------

Apple employees normally arrive at the mall about 4am to prep for the launch day. Normally, there is a designated area outside of the mall to start queuing. Apple employees will check on the queue outside of the mall in intervals.

definatly not the case at the iphone 4s launch in oberhausen.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
The entrance closest to the Apple store will have a line (just go in and ask one day to make sure where it will be) and depending on the time of launch they will let you in accordingly. For the 4s they let us in i think it was like 30 min before launch (which was before normal opening time at our mall). They have there little private apple security to handle it. By the way does anyone know what time launch will be? (hopefully its not 5 in the evening again)

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
My logic is the opposite - if they didn't announce what time the iPad will be released, then it will work the same as the previous year. Thus, 5pm. But, I'm ignoring logic and thinking they'll be selling it at store opening :) Malls hate people lining up inside them and blocking stuff, they'd much rather most of that happen while the mall is closed and in the morning when there aren't as many shoppers. And a large number of Apple stores are in malls.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Before I decided to pre-order for shipping, I spoke with my local Apple store. I was told that there wasn't an official time yet but the person I spoke with felt it would probably be a morning launch, though that isn't set in stone. With the launch of the iPhone4, it was a morning launch. I got there to the mall at about 6am. When the mall opened to walkers, we were allowed inside. The mall and Apple both had things pretty well organized. The line went throughout the mall and nobody tried to cut in. Apple security went through the line once the store opened and grabbed all of us who had one reserved and we went into another line. The whole thing was relatively quickly and peacefully. With the iPad2 in the afternoon, it was a lot longer, yet still organized and peaceful. If I wanted to grab some food or just take a break from sitting, I could do that and not lose my place in line. Since I'm doing shipping this time around, I won't be waiting around, but I might stop by the mall and just people watch.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Before I decided to pre-order for shipping, I spoke with my local Apple store. I was told that there wasn't an official time yet but the person I spoke with felt it would probably be a morning launch, though that isn't set in stone. With the launch of the iPhone4, it was a morning launch. I got there to the mall at about 6am. When the mall opened to walkers, we were allowed inside. The mall and Apple both had things pretty well organized. The line went throughout the mall and nobody tried to cut in. Apple security went through the line once the store opened and grabbed all of us who had one reserved and we went into another line. The whole thing was relatively quickly and peacefully. With the iPad2 in the afternoon, it was a lot longer, yet still organized and peaceful. If I wanted to grab some food or just take a break from sitting, I could do that and not lose my place in line. Since I'm doing shipping this time around, I won't be waiting around, but I might stop by the mall and just people watch.
seems like in germany was the only apple store that didnt had stuff organised.
I am angry at them for blaming the mall. Surely the mall people can help, but how hard is is to set out some poles with ropes outside and inside the mall with a security guy checking how things go?

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
When I went for the iPad 1 they had one area you could go in & had to line up. Security also wouldn't let you on property until a certain time in the morning. So there were lines of cars in different entrances of the mall. But I was still less than 20th in line.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Are you sure it opens at 10AM? That is the normal time for our mall Apple store but on release days they typically open before the mall does at 8AM. For iPad 2 I got there about 5:30AM and they already opened the doors so the line could form inside. Left by around 9AM.

I ordered my new iPad online this time...now I'll have to spend all day waiting for FedEx. Not sure which I prefer yet....

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
I waited in line for the first iPad at a mall. Basically the mall doors were open at 7am and everyone just formed a line outside the Apple store. Cinnabon brought over complimentary coffee and pastries.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
So glad I preordered. Last year it was at 5pm and even then it sucked so I can only imagine everyone running to the apple store when the mall doors open. Screw that.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I waited in line for the first iPad at a mall. Basically the mall doors were open at 7am and everyone just formed a line outside the Apple store. Cinnabon brought over complimentary coffee and pastries.

thats cool, this is why I contemplated going to a mall rather than waiting outside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.