How does my screen look?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fitgirl, Nov 6, 2013.

1. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

How does my 15" Haswell MacBook Pro screen look? Does it look like it has a yellow tint or is it on the cooler side? I want to make sure that I don't have one of those defective screens.

Attached Files:

2. laurihoefs, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Without any point of comparison there is no way to know. What was the white balance setting on your camera? How does the screen look compared to other screens? Does it appear yellow or blue to you?

Edit: Here is an example why you need a point of comparison. The attached images are of the same screen, in fact they are of the same RAW file. It has been developed with three different white points, 5400K, 5800K and 6300K

The same display will appear very different depending on the camera or RAW developer settings. This is why it is impossible to make any judgements without a point of comparison!

Attached Files:

3. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I actually took this pic with my iphone so not sure, but by just looking at this pic alone would you say it looks yellow?

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I see some yellow in the bottom left and bottom right.

5. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

It looks yellowish to me. Let me guess, Samsung right? Do you find a bit on the dim side even at full brightness.

I compared the white on your screenshot to the white of my LG screen.

6. youtubin macrumors newbie

7. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I'm checking out a new Pro and it's got a Samsung screen, even lighting w/out any yellow, but could use a tick higher brightness. Also looks a little pinkish when compared to an iMac screen, but after a while looking at the Pro screen it looks normal.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

You can't take a picture of an uncalibrated screen with an uncalibrated camera and ask people to give an opinion.
    Just by your self a calibration device like an i1 pro or ColorMunki display and you will be fine.

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Hey fitgirl, lemme ask you a crucial question: who's going to be using your MBP? You? Or the people on this forum looking at a picture of it taken with your iphone?

Does the screen look good to YOU? 'Cuz if it does, like, who cares what anyone else thinks!?

There's a lot of great anecdotal information to be found on this board, but don't let the OCD-nature of some of the posters lead you into searching for problems that either aren't there or don't affect you.

10. edfoo macrumors 6502

The only accurate way of telling is if we are there in front of your MBP looking at the screen. Taking photo with camera especially with iPhone is just totally inaccurate.

11. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

No. See above.

12. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

My screen's white pion his at 6500k right out if the box, that pic was taken with no calibration done to it.

13. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

That does not make any difference, if you don't know what white point/white balance setting the camera used.

Just to make clear: the images are of a screen that is calibrated to 6500K with an XRite i1 Display Pro. All the images are from a single RAW file, which has been developed with three different white points. Display settings or profiles were not changed, only Lightroom's Temp slider was touched between exporting the images.

14. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Yep it's a samsung, not sure if it's worth returning I'm gonna play around with the calibration first.

15. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

As others have mentioned - you cannot ask for opinions on that if you're not using calibrated instruments to measure your screen.
    I'm sure your screen is fine.

16. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

How do I find out what the white point on my iphone camera is?

17. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

You can't "play around with the calibration".

Either the screen is calibrated, or its not, and you need a hardware calibration (e.g.i1 or Spyder4) for that. The eye adapts really quickly to changes in white balance.

18. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Seriously though, what's this really about? Are you looking for a reason to return it?

19. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

So I should calibrate my screen first? Sorry this is my first Mac and I'm hearing all three issues with yellow screens and a yellow screen display is not what I want.

20. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

That was my point: you can't.

The iPhone (or even a DSLR) is not a measurement device. It's a picture taking device.

You don't have control/knowledge of the white balance, exposure and the spectral response of the sensor and lens or the Bayer filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management

21. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Nope just been reading so much on this issue and people have been saying that if the screen has a yellow tint then it could be defective,

----------

Thanks for clarifying as you can see I'm a super newbee.

22. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

-Does the screen look yellow to you?

-Are you a professional graphic designer who needs pinpoint colour accuracy to do your job?

23. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I urge you to consider whether you're possibly thinking about this backwards. If you don't notice a problem, is there really a concern? If you post pictures asking people explicitly to look for anything that isn't perfect, and someone (primed to look for those things) thinks it isn't perfect, is that really a good reason to consider a return?

The only argument I can see for worrying about it, if it isn't bothering you, is resale...but I think you have to ask yourself whether a buyer of a used laptop down the road will not only notice something that you aren't, but also care about it. The odds are good that a person purchasing a used laptop won't have quite the same exacting standards as a person popping the seal on a brand new box.

In short, I'd encourage you to enjoy your purchase. It looks great to me, and it seems to be working for you. Isn't that what counts? Just my 2 cents.

24. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

On the internet, half the people that complain are idiots. The other half have a legitimate complaint.

How blue is the sky where you live? Is it a really deep blue or a pale blue, what about the sea? And what if one of us is colour-blind?

Unless you compare the spectral responses with a calibrated instrument (*not* your eyes and *not* a camera) then we have no objective manner of speaking about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibration

Either it is yellow or it is not, but you can't ask the forum because you have no way of taking a calibrated picture of the screen.

25. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl