How does one deal with a mis-listed iPhone on eBay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uid15, Mar 9, 2015.

1. uid15 Suspended

uid15

I recently searched for an iPhone 4S, and bought this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261802184624?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Listing title: "iPhone 4S"

Listing specs and description: "iPhone 4S"

ONE partial half-sentence at the bottom, says "Iphone 4", but based upon the overwhelming evidence of it being a 4S, due to the TITLE saying it is, and the extended details saying it is... I expected it to be, but then the seller, upon me contacting them to make sure, says "Oh, sorry - I sent you an iPhone 4 - apologies for the small mistake". "SMALL" mistake? Seller evidently doesn't understand the significance of the "S" appended to iPhone models, and seems rather indifferent, implying I should search properly and research more thoroughly before buying. I am not annoyed so much with the fact it's a 4, I am annoyed that they're implying that is MY fault, when THEY have mis-listed the item.

What would you do? They've offered to send me return shipping costs, but I replied that I'd accept the iPhone 4, but with a £30 partial refund.

Some people are incompetent when it comes to dealing with, describing and selling technology stock, and should steer well clear, I think.

Thank you.

2. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

That is sure a sloppy way for them to sell an iPhone 4. If they are willing to do pay for shipping back and give you a refund then I would personally go with that and call it good.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you are good with a 4, go for a partial refund, otherwise send it back.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you were wanting a iPhone 4s, why settle for a iPhone 4? Why not get your money back and buy what you were wanting to begin with?

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

What... They didn't imply you did anything wrong, they just said sorry and offered a refund...

Return it and get what you really want.

6. uid15 thread starter Suspended

uid15

With respect, you are not privy to the private eBay messages between the seller and me, which imply that I should be more thorough when buying, but in fact, THEY should be more thorough when listing items (aka, they are "shifting the burden of blame"). Erm, nope - YOU list an item incorrectly, but I find that incorrect listing, trusting it is correct, and then I buy it... HOW is that my fault?

In short: it's not.

7. uid15 thread starter Suspended

uid15

So, after receiving my "iPhone 4S", which is actually an iPhone 4, it turns out that this "excellent condition" iPhone 4:

~ Has a LARGE scratch across the back glass.

~ Has a chip taken out of the plastic beading (the glass mounting seal) on the back top edge.

~ Has a USB cable with nicked insulation.

~ Has VERY poor battery life (779 charge cycles).

~ Rarely allows me to connect to WiFi (yes, I am doing ALL the resets properly), and when it DOES connect, disconnects ALL THE TIME.

Back it goes. Piece of junk.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since they offered to pay the return shipping costs just send it back to them, and next time you bid on an auction where it isn't 100% clear what model it is ask before you bid.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'd leave them a bad review too.

10. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

File a complaint with eBay/Paypal. The reason is 'significantly not as described.'

They always side with the buyer.

11. uid15, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

uid15 thread starter Suspended

uid15

I like to be fair and to give the benefit of the doubt, and am never hasty in rushing to speak negatively; mistakes get made, but I feel this was just one too many descrepancies to be seller "error". I gave a calm, succinct negative feedback report, and will duly adjust (if possible) it if the seller refunds me and apologises, otherwise, sadly, it will remain on their profile, but if it takes Paypal to refund me - which they definintely will - the feedback remains as-is.

Yes, significantly not as described (wrong model), significantly damaged, significantly intermittent, significantly poor battery longevity... haha... on and on. I don't dwell on being negative, we are all human and make mistakes, I forgive them, I just want to move on (I have, mentally), and will wait patiently for a reimbursement.

Thanks for the help folks :)

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm all for being understanding, but it wasn't a mistake that they tried to shift the blame onto you.

13. uid15 thread starter Suspended

uid15

... and today, another mis-described 4S arrived <facepalm>. Here is the listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201313270825

And this is what I have received, and what is wrong with it. Additionally, not mentioned, are flecks of dust and debris under the glass area surrounding the home button - someone's been inside this, and have either replaced the LCD and/or the digitiser. Why can't people just TELL THE TRUTH on eBay?

Message to my seller:

Hello.

Today I received your iPhone 4S + extras, and I found this:

~ An iPhone 4S which is supplied to me as "in very good condition", and then described as "immaculate" by you (via message), and it is neither, and here is why:

#1 The LCD has a pressure mark at the top, slightly left of centre (a sign of a poor repair).

#2 The digitiser/LCD assembly is LIFTED UP from the phone at the top-left corner, with a clearly visible gap - when the lifted corner is pressed gently, the LCD ripples in the area with the pressure mark, indicating a very poorly fitted replacement LCD and/or digitiser.

#3 The bottom-left of the antenna band is *very* deepy dented on the corner (I can provide photos of ALL these issues).

#4 The supplied 30 pin cable is BENT, and cannot be inserted.

#5 To compound all these issues... the WiFi is GREYED OUT AND WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO TURN IT ON.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This good advice.