How does the GPU in the iMacs compare to my current GPU?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by VeganHipster, Sep 10, 2011.

1. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I am wondering how the base iMac 27" (6770m) and high-end 27" iMac's GPUs (6970m) compare to my current GPU. I am also wondering how my current GPU compares to this iMac from Mac Mall.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-iMac/product~dpno~8811819~pdp.gididgg

My GPU in my desktop is a GeForce 9600 GT. If anyone can point me to website that compares benchmarks between desktop and mobile GPUs that would be great, or if you have benchmarks post here. Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For starters, the 9600M GT is 2008 based architecture and fab process. Meaning its old. The current 6000M series used in Macs are using newer much more efficient architecture and a smaller fab process which means less power being consumed.

Now, as far as blunt comparison, the 9600M GT has fewer cores per GPU than the 6770M or 6970M, so it blunt and simple terms, they will be faster by far. Is it worth the upgrade? Well, that depends on what you use the GPU for.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Some Info

Here, but if you google it many more are available
    http://www.barefeats.com/imac11b.html

I have the 2GB top end version, and it eats everything I have thrown at it so far! I wouldn't go for the 512 a minimum 1gb depending on what you do is advisable:)

4. VeganHipster thread starter macrumors regular

First off, thank you for the quick replys! I play games, not too much though. The only games I play on my PC exclusive PC exlusive games (for the most part). I only play Starcraft II and Knights of the Old Republic. I may get into more games, but I will not be playing Crysis 2 on everything Maxed. I would rather get the 1gb of course, but the price difference is A LOT, so I am not sure if I would even need 1gb of vRam. Obviously that is not the only factor though, the GPU will be powering a higher resolution display and the GPU in the high-end model is better, but again, price! haha.

So all three models would be better than my 9600gt with 1gb of vRam? That is a good start!

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Also, amount of VRAM depends on how the application in question uses it.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Remember

You can easily add more RAM, but upgrading the VRAM is not so straightforward. I would go for the 1gb at least, and if you can stretch it the 2GB even if you stick with 4GB system RAM it's a piece of cake to add more later. You don't want a machine that disappoints you....Save a little, get more!:)

7. VeganHipster thread starter macrumors regular

This be true! I will save a little more, till december and hear if there is any new regarding ivy bridge.

Thanks for the help everyone!