how does the new mywi purchasing work?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ihonda, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

so before you were limited to only 1 device, if you buy it now on cydia will you be allowed to install it on whatever phones are linked to your cydia account? $20 is steep. but if i can install it on 3 phones ill buy it right away.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Licenses and purchase payments are determined by the developer no the distributor, Cydia all it does it make the software available for install, payment and licences are manage by developer, nothing have change as far a devices, price or developer, the only change is that RockApp is not required anymore. (MyWi been available for download from Cydia for a long time now, it just used to have a rockapp dependency that is no longer there)

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Your signature shows 1 phone. Do you have 2 other ones you don't list?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So whats the deal?
    Only one device per $20 or tied up to google or Facebook login for multiple devices per account?

5. bripab007 macrumors 6502

That doesn't really seem like it's any of your business, does it?

6. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

^agreed

but my main question is what applejuiced posted.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Another question related to Miwi. Never installed before since it was rock only. Now that it's in Cydia, I'm assuming no issues purchasing now, correct?

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You answered my question. You want to buy one copy and use it on 3 phones. You're a thief.

9. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Even Apple allows me and my wife to install apps on both our phones as long as we use the same account. He is just asking if thats how MyWi is now that its on Cydia. Plenty of other Cydia apps work like that.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If you don't want comments on your lack of morals, don't post in a public forum you want to steal an app. MyWi is tied to a single user.

Although, since the owners of MR no longer care about threads concerning stealing apps, it's pointless to report them.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Mike, it is a legitimate question to ask if MyWi can be installed on multiple phones using the same license. The OP didn't ask about piracy, simply about the license terms. In case you are not aware, many paid apps in Cydia can legitimately be installed on multiple devices. You really need to calm down a bit. Calling ihonda a thief was very uncalled for.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly Mike.
    That wasn't very nice of you.

14. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Mike. Your a rude person.

15. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

exactly what i was referring to with the same license, obviously if i was intending to purchase it im not doing piracy mike.. so catch a clue.

16. Kayan macrumors 6502

I'll join the bandwagon...Shame on you Mike

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

typical reaccion of a fanboy :(, I don't see how such a buggy program can inspire such feeling, but well.... everyone is entitle to an opinion

18. phillipsteak macrumors member

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think so too.

I was also wondering the same thing, because If I ever end up jailbreaking my phone I would be buying MyWi and have another device I would use it on as well... Even Apple allows 5 users to share the same application, its a very legitimate question.

20. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. If you personally own all three phones, the app's developer(s), may have envisioned selling a license to a single entity/person and allowing that entity/person to install it across, say, up to 5 devices. This is sometimes done with purchased software. For example, I bought a single license of a file syncronization software, and the developer told me I was allowed to install it on 2 machines (also, see OS X Family Pack license, and countless other examples).

Now, I'm not saying the original poster is not a thief, however, merely asking the question does not make him guilty.

In fact, I find it mildly suspicious you immediately jumped to that conclusion!

EDIT: Having now read the rest of the thread, it was kinda pointless for me to jump on the bandwagon, too, but, hey, the reasoning still stands.

21. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Cydia allows you to join multiple devices to a single google/facebook login so I don't see how asking if this follows the same rules as other cydia apps has anything to do with piracy. Sounds like someone is just grumpy.

22. fastblack macrumors regular

Having a copy of software you are not necessarily entitled to is not stealing. It is pirating. Get it straight.

23. ericlin0122 macrumors member

In fact, you can transfer app with itunes as long as you have a computer authorized by multiple accounts. Pretty much you can transfer any purchased app to multiple accounts (without getting charged) through itunes itself.
    Is that piracy? I don't think so. I buy the app, I have the right to put on devices I owned. They are all damn apple iOS devices.

24. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

More on topic, I successfully have MyWi 4.0 installed & working on two iPhones (my old iPhone 3GS passed on to my brother and my current iPhone 4). I purchased the upgrade through Cydia and was able to install it on both iPhones.

I'm not sure what the exact licensing terms are for MyWi 4.0 but it seems to allow for multiple installs across different iPhones as long as it tied to an account that's already purchased it.

25. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA