Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Until today I have rarely heard of or seen a Thinkpad so I really don't know much info to base a decision on what you should pick. Personally I own a Mackbook Pro and just looking at a Thinkpad I would feel like i would be going back into the past to purchase it. It looks more like an executive's laptop from the early 2000's to me. I don't want to be bashed by saying this but just by the appearance of the Mackbook Pro and the Thinkpad I would automatically choose the Mac. It just appeals more to me. I love the aluminum unibody and the overall simplicity of this wonderful fine piece of technology. I just purchased a Mackbook Pro about 2-3 weeks ago and I love it, I can't see myself with any other computer.

If you are basing your desision on if you are able to drop it or not I think you should get a Thinkpad. It looks like to me that Macs are more delicate than thinkpads from some videos that I've seen.

Here is a comparison video I stumbled apon aslo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMXmiYn8q0U&feature=related

Bottom line for me I choose a Mac.

Edit: Just seen the X series that doesn't look that old and clunky as the other thinkpads I've seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tyZ6vGbNs

wow, you must live under a huge rock...

Not to insult you or anything but thinkpads are probably THE standard for PC based laptops...

funny you mention the thing about how it looks... thats actually one of the points. They dont want thinkpads to stand out because if you happen to be walking around campus and look at all the computers people use, you wouldnt even think it was worth that much, or that it was rocking brand new technology. Some people like to be discrete about things. Macbooks tend to scream "i look good and cost a lot, steal me first!" even though a thinkpad could potentially cost more and have much better performance.

I love my thinkpad to death, the trackpoint IS AWESOME! but you know, im willing to try new things out and despite my previous apple hate, im willing to give them a try. Im looking to pick up a MBP 15 i7 even though i could get a better equipped (hardware) thinkpad t510 for about 600 less.

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
They dont want thinkpads to stand out because if you happen to be walking around campus and look at all the computers people use, you wouldnt even think it was worth that much, or that it was rocking brand new technology.

I never thought about it that way, and for that reason a thinkpad sound like a great selling point for a student or somebody that is going to be using their computer out in the open a lot, like a campus surrounding.

Edit: Personally i like to show off my Mackbook Pro, pulling it out at every chance I can get. But that could also get me in to trouble..

wow, you must live under a huge rock...

Not to insult you or anything but thinkpads are probably THE standard for PC based laptops...

Actually now that I think about it I could have seen one but it just didn't stand out because of the design of the device that was purposeful like you said.

If i seen someone using a Mac I just want to relate to them as if they shared my favorite sports team. And by seeing a thinkpad I think "What the hell is that?"

But needless to say I'm pretty cozy under my rock with my Macbook Pro.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Just get insurance on the MBP, it is 30 dollars a year from your insurance agent. Covers damage and theft with 0 deductible.

Inspired

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I wish i could run Mac OSX on thinkpads, it would such a beautiful machine. <3

INTRODUCING....the MAC PAD:apple: . BUILT LIKE A TANK!!!!

I guess the last thing we need is to name more Apple products after womanly products.:rolleyes:

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I do not think macbooks are built well. They are made of aluminum which in the pics you see dent whereas other plastics would snap back into place. So they accumulate lots of dings and dents. You will get them. Just look at all of the macbook pros on ebay or craigslist. They all have dents. Other laptops get scratches, macbooks tend to get dings + scratches.

Functionality wise, aluminum is light. It doesn't snap. It doesn't break. But it does conduct static electricity alot. ALOT. And it's really not ideal for a laptop. I've been zapped daily during the winter (your mileage may vary).

Thinkpads are much better built.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
talking about durability, how well do you think macbook pro's hold up against vibration?

for example, my friend banging his foot on the same table my mbp was sitting on...not hard banging, but like dropping ur heel 4 inches in the air (with shoes on) on the table about 1 foot away from my mbp.

stupid thought but i got pissed at him lol

Inspired

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I do not think macbooks are built well. They are made of aluminum which in the pics you see dent whereas other plastics would snap back into place. So they accumulate lots of dings and dents. You will get them. Just look at all of the macbook pros on ebay or craigslist. They all have dents. Other laptops get scratches, macbooks tend to get dings + scratches.

Functionality wise, aluminum is light. It doesn't snap. It doesn't break. But it does conduct static electricity alot. ALOT. And it's really not ideal for a laptop. I've been zapped daily during the winter (your mileage may vary).

Thinkpads are much better built.

With this in mind, would you say that the white macbook is built more durable than the Macbook Pro?(just wondering, because if that's the case I might get the white macbook instead)

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
I never thought about it that way, and for that reason a thinkpad sound like a great selling point for a student or somebody that is going to be using their computer out in the open a lot, like a campus surrounding.

Edit: Personally i like to show off my Mackbook Pro, pulling it out at every chance I can get. But that could also get me in to trouble..

Actually now that I think about it I could have seen one but it just didn't stand out because of the design of the device that was purposeful like you said.

If i seen someone using a Mac I just want to relate to them as if they shared my favorite sports team. And by seeing a thinkpad I think "What the hell is that?"

But needless to say I'm pretty cozy under my rock with my Macbook Pro.

I understand where you are coming from completely! kinda like when i see someone else shooting a nikon, or etc... :D anyway, glad I could expand your knowledge of PC machines!

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
With this in mind, would you say that the white macbook is built more durable than the Macbook Pro?(just wondering, because if that's the case I might get the white macbook instead)

dents are cosmetic... plastic will eventually crack... and not to mention the base/keyboard area is milled out of solid aluminum which in and of itself is amazingly cool! .... and usually very strong. Its the lid/screen area id be worried about.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009

I hope you are not kidding. Because the aluminum body MacBooks pros are much better built even more so than a thinkpad. And better at crash testing does not always mean better built. The thinkpad do flex and there panels do not always fit the tightest, where as the MacBooks pro feel like holding a solid piece of metal. Dings aside you will not easily bend it, and the forces required to bent it would surely crack the case badly on any MacBook.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008

That's sad...

funny you mention the thing about how it looks... thats actually one of the points. They dont want thinkpads to stand out because if you happen to be walking around campus and look at all the computers people use, you wouldnt even think it was worth that much, or that it was rocking brand new technology. Some people like to be discrete about things. Macbooks tend to scream "i look good and cost a lot, steal me first!" even though a thinkpad could potentially cost more and have much better performance.

And they say Apple fanboy's are the worst... Are you actually saying that the Thinkpad's ****** looks is a FEATURE? It was made that way to protect against thieves?

i could get a better equipped (hardware) thinkpad t510 for about 600 less.

Sure and one year later it wouldn't be worth half of the original price. A well maintained Macbook however keeps it's value.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
And they say Apple fanboy's are the worst... Are you actually saying that the Thinkpad's ****** looks is a FEATURE? It was made that way to protect against thieves?

the appearance is just more conservative. Not eveyone wants to be noticed when using their laptop.

Personally I like the black box look.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Well if it looked better I think it's obvious it would sell even better which is what Lenovo cares about.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
To be honest, aluminum is quite a soft metal.

It also doesn't necessarily absorb shocks like some computers do.

That being said, it also doesn't just shatter, and pieces don't break off.

The build quality is noticeable, there's no keyboard flex and it doesn't creak.

You can invest in one good shock-absorbing, hard case such as the one from booq. It's not bulky, and it won't save your macbook from a very high drop, but it will shield it against textbooks and the usual wear and tear of commuting.

You can also look at actual backpacks, which will not flop around when properly secured. Apple has a huge accessory fanbase, with scratch protectors, screen protectors, keyboard covers, hard cases, soft cases, special bags, you name it, it probably exists.

Take into consideration damage insurance when purchasing any notebook. It's not too terribly expensive, and could help you in the long run if you end up sinking a decent amount of money into a computer. There are tons of them out there, some universities offer them themselves, and they can warrant you in case of accidental damage, theft, and disasters such as housefires, natural disasters, etc.

Some Macbooks tend to be lemons, just like any other company too. Don't think that because of the high volume of complaints on this forum that they're all like this. Those who are vocal on forums like this are often those who are dissatisfied. Satisfied customers feel no need to go out of their way to rant about the company, they just smile and use their product.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
To be honest, aluminum is quite a soft metal.

It also doesn't necessarily absorb shocks like some computers do.

That being said, it also doesn't just shatter, and pieces don't break off.

The build quality is noticeable, there's no keyboard flex and it doesn't creak.

You can invest in one good shock-absorbing, hard case such as the one from booq. It's not bulky, and it won't save your macbook from a very high drop, but it will shield it against textbooks and the usual wear and tear of commuting.

You can also look at actual backpacks, which will not flop around when properly secured. Apple has a huge accessory fanbase, with scratch protectors, screen protectors, keyboard covers, hard cases, soft cases, special bags, you name it, it probably exists.

Take into consideration damage insurance when purchasing any notebook. It's not too terribly expensive, and could help you in the long run if you end up sinking a decent amount of money into a computer. There are tons of them out there, some universities offer them themselves, and they can warrant you in case of accidental damage, theft, and disasters such as housefires, natural disasters, etc.

Some Macbooks tend to be lemons, just like any other company too. Don't think that because of the high volume of complaints on this forum that they're all like this. Those who are vocal on forums like this are often those who are dissatisfied. Satisfied customers feel no need to go out of their way to rant about the company, they just smile and use their product.
Nicely summed up!

Inspired

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks Everyone For Your Help In Answering My Question

Thanks EVERYONE.

I have gotten my answer on which laptop I will be purchasing. Obviously some of us are more passionate toward one side than others and some of us remained neutral. I simply wanted to know the durability and some inputs on both laptops, I have gotten my answer and I thank you all very much. I did not want any wars about THINKPAD VS MACBOOKS, seriously not my intention. I shall speak with you guys again soon if I have anymore questions.

THREAD CLOSE

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009

Sure and one year later it wouldn't be worth half of the original price. A well maintained Macbook however keeps it's value.

If you read my posts, im not bashing the macbook, im just stating the benefits one can consider about the thinkpad... its not made to be looked at, and its definitely not "pretty" personally i like the bland boxy look because as i said before, it doesnt attract attention... and if you think about it, it does make sense, think of it as a camouflage technique :D

you're definitely right about the resale value though. PC's in general have terrible resale value, i dont even consider reselling them because its just not worth the effort. That said, i dont buy things with the intention of selling them so the resale value is a moot point.

anyway, as for the OP, i hope your decision suits you well...

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
Thanks EVERYONE.

I have gotten my answer on which laptop I will be purchasing. Obviously some of us are more passionate toward one side than others and some of us remained neutral. I simply wanted to know the durability and some inputs on both laptops, I have gotten my answer and I thank you all very much. I did not want any wars about THINKPAD VS MACBOOKS, seriously not my intention. I shall speak with you guys again soon if I have anymore questions.

THREAD CLOSE

You can't just leave without telling us your decision.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
If you read my posts, im not bashing the macbook,

I didn't say you were. I am however bashing the Thinkpad.

im just stating the benefits one can consider about the thinkpad... its not made to be looked at,

That's for sure, considering the design hasn't changed much since 1992:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/...puter/laptop Sony SZ/laptop/thinkPadPC110.jpg

and its definitely not "pretty" personally i like the bland boxy look because as i said before, it doesnt attract attention... and if you think about it, it does make sense, think of it as a camouflage technique :D

It may make sense for you as an individual, but anyone designing a new laptop today does not purposely go for a non-esthetical design. The only reason Thinkpads look ugly is because they kept the design since the start and they are scared to change it.

you're definitely right about the resale value though. PC's in general have terrible resale value, i dont even consider reselling them because its just not worth the effort. That said, i dont buy things with the intention of selling them so the resale value is a moot point.

Maybe because you don't really have the option. Like you say, you don't even consider it.

Take cars for instance, a lot of people sell them after a while to cut losses. Personally I sell my MBP every year and buy a new one with little to no loss. This year I actually earned $20 getting a new 13.3". The absurd "Mac is expensive" comment doesn't fly by me :)

Anyways I'm off to a Thinkpad forum to bash them for being Lenovo fanboys.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I use my macbook as a jack stand whenever I change the oil in my car. Doesn't even have a scratch!

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
I didn't say you were. I am however bashing the Thinkpad.

That's for sure, considering the design hasn't changed much since 1992:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/...puter/laptop Sony SZ/laptop/thinkPadPC110.jpg

It may make sense for you as an individual, but anyone designing a new laptop today does not purposely go for a non-esthetical design. The only reason Thinkpads look ugly is because they kept the design since the start and they are scared to change it.

Maybe because you don't really have the option. Like you say, you don't even consider it.

Take cars for instance, a lot of people sell them after a while to cut losses. Personally I sell my MBP every year and buy a new one with little to no loss. This year I actually earned $20 getting a new 13.3". The absurd "Mac is expensive" comment doesn't fly by me :)

Anyways I'm off to a Thinkpad forum to bash them for being Lenovo fanboys.

well to me, a good design is worth keeping... personally i like the look, and i know there are others out there that also appreciate the no frills look as well.

anyway, you're right, generally speaking thinkpads are "ugly" but to each his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.