Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
If I buy the $2500 MBP, how durable is it in case of falls? I had the non retina older 15'' from 2010 and it was really susceptible to breaking (the hinge) when dropped.

I'm kind of worried about accidentally dropping it.

Does this iPearl cover help? http://www.amazon.com/keyboard-15-i...8007&sr=1-3&keywords=macbook+pro+retina+cover

One comment isn't very encouraging:
This 20 buck piece of trash definitely decreases the form factor of the Macbook Pro Retina. This aesthetic issue is tolerable but what was not was the fact that the hard plastic tabs on the bottem piece are uncomfortably hard and sharp so they did into your wrists when you type. After using this for about 20 minutes I decided to try to remove it. Here is where the fun started. There is no easy way to take off this cover. Even being gentle and working on the tabs, I noticed that it was actually pulling apart the metal panes of my MacBook! This cheap junk almost ruined my $2K computer, Major buyers remorse. Stay away

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That case will likely be a good help with day-to-day wear and tear - the little bumps and scrapes and travel wear that any laptop will encounter.

However, drops, particularly when it doesn't fall flat, but hits on one corner (a more typical kind of fall), then that light-weight case will be very little protection. Best is to avoid dropping your laptop - think before you move, etc. :D

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
you will treat it like a baby. unless you have a medical condition I wouldn't worry about dropping it. just always be very aware of it, especially when moving fast, carrying a few different things, going up stairs, etc.

JonathanGennick

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
Shock absorption is usually what one wants for drops. A hardshell case would probably transfer the shock straight on thru to the laptop.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Does anyone have experience of dropping it? How did it go?
I think the older MBP 15 was too heavy which is why it broke really easy when dropped.

Of course I would be careful but there are unforseen disasters and you can't be perfect.

Would it be worth the money to invest in a hefty black tie warranty from Best Buy to protect it against accidental damage?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I use iPearl for my MBA. It has kept the computer in pristine condition through a lot of traveling and work. But, I never:

(1) set an uncovered drink anywhere near it.
(2) treat it roughly by slamming the cover shut, touching the screen, etc.
(3) move it around unless it is in my bag slung across my shoulder.

These three "rules" seem to be working pretty well for me, and it would actually be kind of difficult to damage the computer unless someone barrels into my table and knocks it over (I never sit by the door or high traffic areas) or I get hit by a vehicle (at which point, my computer is the least of my worries).

I wouldn't pay for any extra care plans, but you know your use conditions the best.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
I have the same ipearl case to prevent scratches and it works well for that purpose.

I use a book book case for mine when traveling.
http://www.twelvesouth.com/product/bookbook-for-macbook-air-retina

I have had it get knocked off a table a few times and it has not suffered any damage. I think it provides much more protection than the run of the mill neoprene sleeves.

One time my sisters dog knocked over a tv table it was sitting on which was about a 3 foot fall and it suffered no damage at all.

As an added bonus nobody ever messes with my laptop because they think it is a book.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't ever use the word durable when it comes to my rMBP. There are other words that do, like great design, soft aluminum metal, fragile. I love my computer but its not the most durable one on the market.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
All Unibody MBP are sensitivity to the tinniest of drops. Even a $500 laptop doesn't dent or gets chips that easy.

On my older MBP, someone bumped into my MBP with his watch and it has a small dent from the watch. I dropped my previous $500 PC laptop on the ground from 1 feet high, not a single scratch or dent at all.

So I"m extremely careful with my rMBP because it can get dented incredibly easy.

Last edited:

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
I've never bought any equipment and planned to drop it. "Law of attraction" comes to mind...

I do have a case, keyboard and screen protector on my rMBP for basic scratch protection.

Cheap stuff, for the cheapest protection. ;)
Photo%209-4-14%2011%2024%2005%20pm.jpg

BTW, I'm from Singapore so I got these add-ons locally.
Hardshell (just realized this appear to be the same item as the iPearl cover
Keyboard and screen protector

For the "hardshell", my feedback is that it definitely does not dig into my wrists. Product is Made in China though.
The surface has a bit of rubber touch to it, and it's a snap on. Fits easily onto the rMBP. And like I said, I'm using it as a surface protection only. Now I can move around easily without fear of scratching. :)

If anyone is still interested in this, I can post more pictures. :D

Last edited:

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Dropped mine this past winter coming inside. It was in a backpack that was unzipped on accident. I leaned to my right to pick another bag up, backpack fell open, and my mbp flew to the salt covered ground.

If it had not been for a logitech unifying receiver in the right usb port, it wouldnt have survived. That dongle exploded, and the bottom of the mbp has several small dings, and scratches, along with the side casing having some nicks.

Worst day ever when I saw what was on the ground. lol.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I would say it would probably still work. These computers ARE durable. But it's going to look horrible. The metal scratches and dents pretty easily from my experience. You don't want to go around dropping it if you want it to look nice.

Those cases are horrible. The best I found was the Kuzy leather one. It costs more but less likely to scratch your macbook!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I would not recommend using something that protects they keyboard, as the screen can break.

The iPearl is pretty fantastic. I especially like the feet on the bottom that raise the keyboard to a perfect angle for typing while also helping to dissipate heat on the bottom. I don't use the keyboard protector and wouldn't recommend it. I don't really see the point of having it myself.

As for dropping it, if the OP follows my advice above, it is pretty unlikely to be an issue. No matter what case you have on it, a drop from any height is not going to be good for the computer. Think of it as a baby and don't toss it around, drop it, or place hot beverages next to it (coffee). The iPearl mainly protects from incidental scratches (bumps, rough surfaces, etc. on tabletops). If you are headed to a war zone, opt for the toughbook and leave your Mac behind.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
The iPearl is pretty fantastic. I especially like the feet on the bottom that raise the keyboard to a perfect angle for typing while also helping to dissipate heat on the bottom. I don't use the keyboard protector and wouldn't recommend it. I don't really see the point of having it myself.

As for dropping it, if the OP follows my advice above, it is pretty unlikely to be an issue. No matter what case you have on it, a drop from any height is not going to be good for the computer. Think of it as a baby and don't toss it around, drop it, or place hot beverages next to it (coffee). The iPearl mainly protects from incidental scratches (bumps, rough surfaces, etc. on tabletops). If you are headed to a war zone, opt for the toughbook and leave your Mac behind.

Hahaha! Ironically I'm drinking coffee right now when using it :D.

ansaha

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
i think the screen is made of a sheet of candy, give the screen a little bend or drop it even half a foot even on a soft floor and it cracks, the TN screen on the cmbp is much more durable.

ansaha

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
yes, and i have to tell you having owned both the cmbp and rmbp, the cmbp is far superior in durability except for mabye the hard drive which you could swap out for a solidstate. the rmbp is a lot of hype and hot air do not buy in to it. there is a reason you still see everyone using old cmbp. and even if you get apple care they do not cover accidental damage so you are pretty much screwed unless you are willing to pay 600$ for a replacement.

Last edited:

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
$600? It was $800 to replace 15'' 2009 MBP back when I tried to replace it. I guess it's cheaper now?

Still too expensive. What are you going to do now? Buy a budget computer for $600 rather than fix the retina?

Is there some sort of screen protection to avoid it cracking like that?

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
At best a case will protect from small nicks and scratches. At worse it will actually scratch it by having dirt stuck between it and your dear computer.

Get a good backpack. Something nicely padded all around the computer. Also, make sure the computer doesn't lie at the very bottom of. I also wouldn't bother with a sleeve if you have a good backpack, you actually risk dropping the computer if you're taking it out in a hurry and sometimes the zippers around it can tarnish the metal over time. Also, most people put their computers on top of the sleeve which heats it up and it makes a nice slippy surface for the computer to slide on and drop to the ground.

Don't overthink it. Be careful and develop good habits, being careful when it's in your bag and taking a second to make sure you're not putting it at risk when taking it out. But the fact is, it's just a tool, a 2500$ tool but still a tool if it's gonna fail, it's gonna fail...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.