How durable is the 30 pin dock connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illa56, Jun 15, 2011.

1. illa56 macrumors newbie

I am making the switch from a old blackberry to the iphone 4. I was wondering whether it is worth it to buy a case that has a plug to protect the dock connector, or if they are really tough to mess up under normal use. (I plan to use the phone as an ipod while running as well) Any advice?

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I wouldn't really get an iPhone 4 since the new one is coming out in early September.

3. illa56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know about that, if it came out with any features I couldn't live without, I would just sell the 4 and spend a little more to get the 5 at full price

4. zOdeac macrumors member

I told my self if the iPhone 5 don't come out in June ill get the iPhone 4. I found that the universal dock from apple seams to be the best one because most of the docks don't really think we are going to have a case on the phone to protect it.

I used a friends for about 3 weeks well he was out of town and when he took his back i just had to buy another one. Be sure its the universal one though the one that is just for iPhone only that apple sells just sucks of you do get a case.

I have also found that I will stick with the Apple products and not buy the third party items unless its sold in the apple store. The reason for this is some say messages that it wont charge after about 2 hours or some strange things. Stick with the apple universal and you will be 100% happier.

If the iPhone 5 comes out in fall i will give my 4 to my daughter and upgrade her from the 3gs so it was not a total waste of money.

5. illa56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant the connector on the phone itself, not the accessory

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Pretty damn durable. My phone has been submerged in water (dock end down) and its still fine.

7. 840quadra, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The port itself is durable provided you do not jam in items that don't belong there. Besides having an iPhone 4, iPod Touch, I have many iPods including one from 2003 with Dock connector that still sees heavy use. The port on that works flawlessly for all cables I have, including a new Universal dock. To this day since 2003, I have yet to have a Dock port break on a device.

Just be sure to avoid having coins, or other items in your pocket that could possibly find themselves wedged in that port, or other places. Besides possibly scratching the phone, the port could potentially get damaged.

8. zOdeac macrumors member

I have 5 iPhone 2 iPods and 1 iPad all the same connecter and not one problem with the phone connecter. I do have some problems going though cables on my iPhone. I plug them in way to much in syncing and developing for the iPhone.

I cant wait until IOS5 where i wont need to plug that in all the time to sync witch will save me $5 each cable. I buy all my cables form

http://www.pchcables.com/info.html they work just like the apple ones but a lot cheaper.

9. illa56 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I shouldn't limit myself to cases with plugs than... thanks for the info!

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah its really durable. What I like about it is that, unlike USBs, you can kinda feel it click into place so you know that its connected

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about them at all.

In my family we've had 10 different dock-connector devices over the last 7 years. I've never had a problem with any of the dock ports.

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very durable, can be susceptible to corrosion though due to so many exposed terminals.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It's durable if u take care of it, but if u stick a key or coins in there.. I bound to break something.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will have to agree with the others and have had multiple iPhones, iPads and iPods and NEVER had the connector go bad. That includes the female connector on the device AND the male connector on any of my chargers.

Only charger that went bad was a charger for my MacBook Pro. It was the old type and I took it in the Apple store and before I could tell them what was wrong, the Geek bagged up a new style charger and told me to have a great day!:p

15. JASApplications macrumors 65816

16. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

ive owned every iteration fo the iphone and ipods since the original clickwheel the 30 pin dock connector on all of them has always been strong its a snug fit so theres no flex or wear like you see with some mini and micro usb where they get loose after a while as long your not abusing the phone it will be fine!

if you do plan to abuse it i would go with the otterbox defender i use when at work and love it has saved my phone many times.:D

17. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Isn't that kind of the opposite of durable?