How durable is the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Logan, Aug 7, 2010.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Hello,

I'm going to be buying my first Macbook this week, however I'm torn between a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I'm a University student, so I want to be able to put my laptop in the laptop sleeve in my bookbag almost daily.

I've read online that where the MBP is made of aluminum (a malleable metal) that it is more susceptible to scratches, dents, etc...

In your experience as a MBP owner, do you find you have to be more careful with a MBP than a polycarbonate Macbook? I'm not rough on my things, but would I have to worry about scratches just taking the MBP in and out of my bookbag? Perhaps a silly question, but I really don't know what to expect nor do I know how fragile it is? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to get a MBP because they're much nicer than a plain Macbook, but I don't want to have to worry about damaging the body all the time.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

There are hundreds of pix in this forum of beaten up white MacBooks. The older ones used to crack after a year or two of use. Get the MBP, it'll be fine and you'll be happy.

4. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Thousands of students us MBP without any problem. Hard for us to answer, because we don't know you, your lifestyle and how much attention you will pay to handling the MBP.

I frankly don't give a rats behind about scuffs and scratches or dents. Thats just me of course, but if people judge you based upon the condition of your laptop you need new friends. If everything works well, who cares.

5. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

I do think I will be happier with a MBP. Just this whole aluminum (could bend/scratch), vs the polycarbonate (very durable, etc.).

I'm sure I'll decide eventually!

6. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

I'm not worried about being judged. It's just if I'm going to be paying $1000+ for a new MBP, I would really hate to see scratches. I know it's unrealistic to think this way, but if you're spending such a large amount of money on an item you want it to stay in perfect condition, haha. If I'll have better luck with a regular MB staying in good cosmetic condition, I'd likely go that way.

7. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

You don't want scratches, then go on e-bay and look up the various types of 3M stick on skins or plastic cases that cover the whole laptop.

I have both the white plastic macbook and aluminium MBP. I'll take the MBP any day over the white plastic. I had issues with the plastic cracking around the display and keyboard with the plastic and the battery expanded (on both my 2008 Macbooks!) Fixed for free... but still.

Scratches are going to occur on either, unless you buy something to cover the laptop. Period.

8. Meever macrumors 6502a

Both aluminum and plastic are scratch prone. Only thing I can think of that's scratch resistant is glass. But that would be pretty retarded. Making a portable device you are constantly carrying around with glass.... wait. Hey, at least it's purty :D

I would get the 13" for the overall value. Aluminum unibody, backlit keyboard, well, actually, that's the only difference now isn't it? MBs now come with 4gbs of ram too right?

9. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yes, this is true. You're right, a lot more value in the MBP, 4GB RAM, woo hoo. It's also .2 lbs lighter.

Thank you all for pointing out the obvious (I mean that genuinely). You all have very good points, and I shouldn't be so concerned about scratches, etc.

I will get the MBP (the discount available for students is great, very impressed!), and I will get a case or a sleeve. Maybe both if it will fit in the sleeve with the case, haha.

10. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Nope. MB's still bring 2GB's of RAM. Plus the MBP has the FW800 port and a SD card slot. Those are all the differences I think.

11. shadygrove macrumors regular

The machine will never get scratched by itself, rather it's the user that scratches the machine, no matter the material it's made of. Realistically though, if you take very good care of your investment, don't drop it (it will break, bend, dent, and/or shatter), but still use it like it should without leaving on the desk the entire life, you will see some scuff on the back and bottom.

Any time you put the machine down on a surface that has dust or dirt, which is tiny pieces of rocks and gritty material, you will be left some minor scratches on the bottom. Especially since the weight on by the screen and the machine it likely angled downward from the weight and not sat down at 180 degree, more like 45 degrees. No matter how much of an effort I give, I still set my machine down like this form time to time and will get a tiny scratch on the bottom...no big deal. There will be regular wear and tear, just like your car, bicycle, and human body.

Deal with the imperfections in life and move on. I find, the more you obsess over those things, the more they occur (or notice them). Instead, use the machine with the proper consistent care, and your machine will last for years.

Now as far as the plastic laptops, no thanks. I have seen countless laptops picked up with one hand on the corner that resulted in a cracked mother board despite no physical damage present on the body. Users consistently reported picking it up that one and all ended up with the same problem. I have seen virtually all models do this, even an IBM thinkpad and custom build laptops. Never have I seen a uMBP with a cracked mother board from picking it up from the corner, which I occasionally do. The screen hinges on MBP don't crack. Like the mother board, I have seen virtually every brand have cracked cheap plastic squeaky hinges.

While the aluminum may show a scratch easier than some plastic models, the actual things that matter make the machine far better in the long run. I hate plastic electronics, they always feel cheap (even the MB to a degree).

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The aluminum is thick enough that it doesnt bend unless you drop it on a hard surface, so not really much need to worry about bending with relatively normal use. It kinda scratches, but not too easily if you at least pay attention and be careful like you should with something worth over $1000. Plus you dont notice scratches as easily with the matte surface of the aluminum versus the glossy plastic. The plastic also scratches and shows scratches much more easily, so if you are worried about that, go for the aluminum. And if you are really worried about scratching it, you could get a case for it

13. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

As long as you don't drop it, it is durable. Sadly it dents when dropped.