How exactly iMessage works?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by v2club, Oct 31, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

Are both (the one who sends the message and the one who receives it) have to be connected to a wi-fi or 3G in order to work? I mean if I have no SIM card I'm my iPhone but have wi-fi access and try to send an iMessage to someone with no 3G and wi-fi? Is it gonna work wi-fi => 2G and 2G => wi-fi or it's only wi-fi/3G =>wi-fi/3G?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Whatever data connectivity you have will work. 2G, 3G,Wifi will be all fine; just a difference in speed and response time I guess. And your communication partner can have something different. Just any kind of data link.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Still waiting for my 4S to arrive. I'm curious about iMessage. Does this work only with iPhone users or can I text iPhone to Android? Will it work when texting internationally? Thanks.

4. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

To above post, iMessage only works iOS to iOS.

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

iMessage is iPhone to iPhone only. It is comparable to BBM. You can still text other devices the same way as before. iMessage just allows more options.

6. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

iMessage is basically free messaging between all users running iOS 5 on their device, integrated with the iPhone's Messaging app.

Once it detects both users are using iOS 5, messages sent are recognized as data, (seen in blue bubbles) as opposed to carrier-based texts. (seen in green bubbles). iMessage features include sent/read receipts as well as 'other person is typing' indicators.

Users on iPhones will have their telephone number associated, with an option to associate their Apple ID/email address, while iPad and iPod touch users must associate their Apple ID/email addresses.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Think of it like instant messaging between apple devices.

8. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I upgraded my iphone 4 to ios5 but dont see an iMessage icon just the normal Messages.

Where is it?

Someone said you can message to email address?

9. ryuu55 macrumors newbie

it's not a new app, it's integrated in the existing messenger and auto-detects iOS 5 users.

10. renkye macrumors newbie

You send iMessages through the regular Messages App to someone who uses iOS 5 and is on a data network as well. You can send to numbers and also to email adresses if the recipient has enabled his/her email-adress in the settings.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks Guys. I'm new to the iPhone. So that being said, iMessage is iOS5 to iOS5, iPhone to iPhone, would it restrict me from testing someone internationally? Or is this only good domestically? Thanks.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Just to make sure other readers aren't confused by different info in this thread; these 2 posts are wrong.

It is not just iOS to iOS nor iPhone to iPhone. It works between devices running iOS 5.

Also, it is NOTHING like BBM...NOTHING. It's simply an added feature within the existing messaging app. Not sure what you mean by "..allows more options" either. Like I just said, it's just added features to the messaging app. It shows users "delivered" and "read" (if recipient has that turned on), and the text bubbles are white and blue instead of white and green. It's nice to have if you have a poor cell signal but a wifi connection...but that really only is beneficial when communicating with other iOS 5 users.

BBM is a completely separate app on BlackBerry's with a completely different UI from the regular messaging app. Whatsapp is similar to BBM.

13. zflauaus macrumors 65816

The only downside to iMessage that I can think of is that if you have both an iPhone and an iPad and somebody messages your phone number, that message does not transfer to your iPad. Really a bummer as I was looking forward to switching between devices for conversations.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's a service that is integrated into Messages. If you enter a phone number or email into the "To" category when making a new message, and it detects that the other user is using iMessages, it will send as one

15. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

You can send messages internationally. I use it to send messages to friends abroad. However they must me on an iPhone,iPad or iPod touch and have iOS 5 installed.

16. st0p. macrumors newbie

lol what? "NOTHING" like BBM? It's very, very similar to BBM....text messaging over data (so you dont pay carrier text fees)...shows when someone is typing and when the message has been delivered and read....who are you kidding? the differences are tiny compared to the similarities...its VERY similar to BBM, and the ways that it is different are just ways that Apple has improved upon BBM (ie not locking it to a pin code and auto-detecting if someone is on an Apple device w. ios5)

17. mfor1234 macrumors member

You can do that, you just need to make a couple of tweaks.

1. Set your "Caller ID" in settings as your email address, instead of your phone number.

2. Start a new conversation with your iOS5 comrades (where it comes from your Apple ID email instead of your phone number) and you'll notice that it'll start to sync on both devices.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

So how much data does it use? how about for sending pictures and videos? with only 200 megs of data I am worried I will go over.

19. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I think it uses as much data as normal text emails but slightly lesser. I wouldn't worry too much about sending text.

20. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I am more worried about sending pics and videos. How much data per pic?

21. AlohaMaui macrumors member

iMessage can only be used between users of iOS 5.

It can also be a real pain to setup.
    Mine wasnt running and so had to look through lots of internet posts with people having the same problem as I.

It's somehow tied in with Facetime as well.
    Have to enable restrictions on Facetime, otherwise iMessage wouldnt work.

22. Tigerdaly macrumors newbie

Hard to set up, I presumed it is automatic, I have not had to change a single setting and it automatically knows it is talking to an IOS device. I didn't know you could set it up.

23. vegastime macrumors regular

I did not have to set anything up, and it seems to be working fine.

Messages are in blue, and it even says iMessage at the top.