How far are we from waterproof?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lannim, Apr 11, 2011.

1. lannim macrumors member

How long (if ever) do you think it will be until we are gifted with viable waterproof technology in electronic devices? How long til I can relax in a hot tub reading a magazine on my iPad without worrying about destroying it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. lannim thread starter macrumors member

haha, nope. Page loaded a little screwy on my phone..is it supposed to be useable with touch screens?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It works on the iPhone 2G.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

At the moment you can get waterproof cases but they don't work with touch screens.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

To be honest, I don't think we'll ever see anything like that (in the "near" future). I don't think any company is going to spend time, money, and energy into marketing their tablet or phone as "completely waterproof so you can keep it in your swimming trunks or use it while it the bathtub also."

What's the point?

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Because some people still buy cameras for that very purpose. To bring on vacations, to the beach, use in the pool, etc. The iphone already probably killed the flip camera. Make that thing waterproof and what need would you have to buy a stand alone water proof camera?

9. lannim thread starter macrumors member

That's practical, but then theres people like me who just wanna play angry birds in the shower :D..or be able to go swimming with my phone in my trunks pocket, doesn't seem pointless to me.

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

While it would be awesome, I don't think it will ever be standardized just because people don't have that "needy" feeling like they do with HD or something similar.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

less than 20 years ... just like the watch and camera being made waterproof

Computers will be one day also

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've wanted my electronics water proof for years! It'd just be nice to not have to buy a new keyboard because I spilled a drink on it (to be fair in my 20 years of owning computers its only happened once!) or to be able to use my iPod in the rain. I used to wonder what really is stopping something like the iPod Classic from being waterproof? It has a headphone port and the data port. You could easily seal that up!

I used to own a Siemens M35i once upon a time. I believe that was splash/rain proof.

13. 4JNA, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

epic! you win the 'best idea i saw on the internet today' award.

there are things like that around, i had an Itronix laptop when i was in the military doing sneaky dangerous things that was rugged and waterproof, and had a touchscreen LCD. they claimed it was tough enough to be dropped, so i did several time on purpose and it survived. they claimed it was tough enough to be driven over, so i put it on the ground and drove over it with the humvee and it survived. if it got dirty (mud/stuff/whatever) you just hosed it off, or drove through the wash with it strapped to the hood. not exactly the most portable thing ever, got a bit heavy to carry about, but a good start!

EDIT: just went looking, and it seems they were bought by general dynamics, sweet looking handheld HERE.

14. lannim thread starter macrumors member

Just as computers used to fill entire rooms, the technology will be eventually "micro'd" I'm sure
    Instead of making the devices waterproof they should just make all water stop conducting electricity :D

15. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I have shock freeze waterproof camera
    Olympus makes it I got it when I had moved to MI because it was so cold
    check out this
    http://www.lifeproof.com/

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't need a waterproof laptop, but an alcohol-proof iPhone would be nice.

17. lannim thread starter macrumors member

+1

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why would you want to look like a douche talking on the phone while swimming. Just leave the damn thing on the beach. A break from technology is nice once in a while.

19. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

i saw this thing at macworld that was a bag made to fit the iphone that you suck the air out of and it makes it water proof plus the touch screen works. i will put a picture on later when i find out were i put it.

20. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Have you not heard of the Motorola Defy?

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbmUSwd_bqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvAAp0_fJ4w

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Are we that much of a slave to these products that we can't put them down to go swimming or take a shower?:rolleyes:

23. Scuby macrumors regular

Its technically easy eniugh to do - look at the waterproof cameras, for example - but has compromises in needing different materials, more layers and typically a more chunky device, and also has to compromise on the usability and maintenance through things like rubber plugs or o-rings sealing the openings. But maybe in a few years when the SIM is built-in, inductive charging is standard, and all connections are wireless, maybe it could be made as a completely sealed unit. That's a few years off though, and still leaves the inevitable compromises in construction through trying to make it waterproof.

David

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What happened to the days when we could just take a bath for half an hour without feeling the need to be tethered to an electronic gadget?

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya usually you don't want anything electric in the tub with you.:p