How fast can you TEXT on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trix, Jul 31, 2009.

?

How fast can you text on the iPhone?

1. I can't text at all, 5 words per minute (what my dad can do)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I can get the job done...

4.7%
  3. I'm mediocre, not very efficient. I'd rather call.

5.5%
  4. I can fly, very quick and efficient. Can keep up with ease.

64.1%
  5. I'm pretty much a god, and can text a novel in a matter of seconds.

25.8%
  1. Trix macrumors member

Trix

I don't mean to sound cocky..but I can text extremely fast on my current phone. Like, I could probably blow teenage girls out of the water. Full tactile QWERTY keyboard HTC P4300 (?) or something.

I convey lots of information via text, and need to be an avid and be completely accurate. Definitely main mode of communication with many people.

How fast can you text on the iPhone?!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I text really fast, and quite accurately too. I find the auto correct to almost save me every time. :)

3. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

I was playing around at the Apple store earlier today with a new 3GS (first time with the S also...) And I found auto-correct to be less helpful than on the 3G when I used it last time. Granted, I slowed down, tried to be completely accurate (I include punctuation in my texts) and was getter better as I kept typing.

I want to be able to fly. What it felt like my trouble was, is that if I hit two letters close to eachother, like 'T' & 'Y' you really have to hit 'T' and then LET GO of the screen, and then hit 'Y' whereas I was hitting 'T' fast then going for the 'Y' and it only magnified the 'T' and then the 'Y'....which it ultimately placed. Does this make ANY sense??

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yes, you do have to remove your finger from the screen to type a letter. Makes it easier to correct yourself when you hit the wrong key initially.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I learned to text fast thanks to the iPhone's AutoCorrect feature. Thanks Apple for that one...

6. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Same here. I've found it to be pretty easy to even type without looking at a reasonable pace. Once your fingers are used to which keys they can hit, it's not that difficult to navigate around, get close to what you want to type, and AutoCorrect should take care of the rest when it needs to.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Exactly. I can type pretty fast without looking. I guess my thumbs got used to where they can go. When I'm actually looking though, I type about 65 words a minute.

8. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I text fast and get the words wrong sometimes but I do it quickly. I type like the wind blows, fast but confusing.

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

someone should make a typing speed iPhone app.:p

10. Pixellated macrumors 65816

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

From Day 1 (June 29, 2007) fast typer, all I had to do was trust the phone and it was easy and still fast today.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I fly on mine. Not even gonna lie. When I played with my first iPhone back on July 4, 2007, I made tons of errors and if you can imagine what result banging your head on a keyboard would yield, that was pretty much what my typing looked like. Now? I can do it without looking with both of my thumbs or one. Very fast. When my phone isn't on silent and the keyboard clicks are on, people jokingly say it sounds like a machine gun.

There is one. Its called Idle Hands.

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Awhile back, there was this girl who broke a record by typing "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in fifteen seconds. She didn't get to practice ahead of time.

There is a kid in New Zealand that set a new record for texting without looking at the keypad. He typed:

"The razor toothed piranhas of the genera serrasalmus and pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality, they seldom attack a human"

in a record breaking 45 seconds without any mistakes.

Not sure what kind of phones they used but I doubt they were iPhones. As for me, it would take me about 5 minutes to type all that on my old Razer phone.

Source

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's taken me about a minute to type this. *watching TV* at the same time....lol :p:p:p

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I used to type like, erm your dad, on all my old phones.

I type RIDICULOUSLY fast on my iPhone. I went from a 100 text plan to unlimited. It's probably actually my favourite thing about the phone.

16. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

The good thing is that nobody is as slow as my dad in the poll! lol

I can probably do 70-75 words per minute on my HTC, so when I ultimately do get the iPhone, I hope to work back up to that number.

17. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Pretty fast now! Well.. I'm not suprised seen as I've had the phone since the first generation release! I'm just happy that the iPhone auto-correct *learns* the more you use it :)

18. gumball981 macrumors member

I am pretty fast at typing on the iPhone keyboard...
    I count on the auto-correct so much to save me.

I tried typing on my sister's Dare, and was horrible not only for the crappy keyboard but because the lack of auto-correct...

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I type faster on the iPhone than any other phone that I have owned.

20. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I would say that I'm extremely fast at typing. I just wish the GUI would keep up with me. I sounds like a harddrive doing random clicks because it will glitch then finally make the sound of the word I typed by the time I'm 2 words down. I'm hoping that when I get the new iPhone next year it will fix this. It's quite annoying as the keys magnify from a word ago so It just looks like the keyboard is going crazy. Again not bragging.

21. jdk2 macrumors newbie

As my eyes have gotten older, they don't seem to follow my fingers as well as they used to :D

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm just ok, with the onscreen keyboard. But, unlike the OP, I don't need to be a speed demon.:D

23. Appdict macrumors regular

Takes me the same amount of time for me to send a paragraph for the person I'm texting to send a simple sentence. :cool:

24. TheMBC macrumors 6502

That's because there are hundreds of people that have been typing on the phone at the store. The iPhone "learns" the way you type and that's how it gets its suggestions.

25. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Ive had my iphone for a little less than a month and I''m really surprised how fast i got used to texting with it. I actually enjoy texting more on the iphone then any other phone. Even portrait mode im pretty fast.