How fast will stores sell out? How early do I need to get there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blarian, Jul 5, 2008.

1. blarian macrumors newbie

Does anyone know HOW MANY iPhones are going to be at stores. I'm not in a big city, but I still don't want to get there to find them sold out. Any thoughts? Has Apple released any info about this ?

2. Edwardz macrumors regular

7,347 iPhones on launch day at every apple store. I actually have no idea.

3. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Last year the most Apple stores had supplies to last through the weekend but most at&t stores sold out within 24 hours

4. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

they better have more than 300 a store!
    or better yet... I BETTER GET AN iPhone July 11th or Im gonna be one pissed off customer:p!

5. blarian thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah, that's what I was wondering. My store is in the middle of a mall, so I highly doubt there's going to be huge lines waiting outside the mall till it opens.

6. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I thought it was 4,765 white 16gb ones, 5,666 black 16gb & 2 black 8gb per sales person and more stock airlifted in on Friday afternoon if they ran out?

@blarian - no-one knows. Do a search and you will see the futility of speculating :cool:

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

My local O2 store here in Widnes, yesterday claimed to be receiving a batch of 200 units.

20% of which will be 16GB.

I was asked to be there 'as early as possible' to secure one.

R-Fly

8. Geffen macrumors 6502

I would purchase the new 3G iphone at an Apple store instead of an AT&T store if you are near one, usually the AT&T stores do not receive much stock some stores may only receive 200 iphones while Apple stores may receive triple that amount last year some AT&T stores ran out on the first day.

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

So if you take that at face value that's 40 16Gb units. Unless there's a rush that'll last a while in a local/small store.

OTOH I don't think staff really know what they'll be getting yet..

10. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, the number per store might depend on the size and location of the store? Just a wild arsed guess.

Oh - and that there is no way:

1. We will find out anyhow AND
    2. We will be able to make a valid assumption to what time one needs to be there to get one

11. Xjett macrumors member

I was told by an AT&T rep (prepare the salt shaker on this one) that Apple stores would have the better stock. He claims that his store will get close to 250 units where as the Apple store will have between 500 to 600 units.

12. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I'm really debating myself whether to go to the nearest Apple store or go to the AT&T store. I have 3 AT&T stores within 2 miles of my house but the nearest Apple is 30 minutes away in a mall....and is ALWAYS packed. I would hate to get all the way down to the mall to find out there was already way too many people and then miss out on the ones at AT&T combined with having to drive 30 minutes back home empty handed. Decisions, decisions...

13. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I think its unbelievably short sighted (I'm talking to you, Nintendo) to underproduce/understock a high demand product. They should be sending thousands of units to Apple stores because you can't make any money if you don't have any product to sell.

14. icecold0913 macrumors member

Doubtful there will be obnoxious lines anywhere but high-profile big city Apple Store locations. Just go in and get your phone. I really don't think there's a reason to flip out like there was last year.

15. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I think that this phone will sell out because the Apple Store online has not sold iPhones since late may and Apple retail stores and AT&T retail stores haven't been getting much shipments, if any, for the past month. Alot of people are also waiting for the phone because of 3G and GPS.

It is going to sell quick, in my opinion. I just hope on July 13th or 14th I can get a 16GB iPhone 3G.

16. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

nope

I don't think any store will sell out....but that's just me...since I wont be trading my original iphone for anything!

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You don't need to get there early. Just order yours online from www.o2.co.uk

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

AT&T stores are going to sell out again like last year. Most sold out within the hour. I was at one of them, and mine sold out in 45 minutes. 50+ other people were behind me in line

This year will be no different. Although Apple stores might not run out right away.

19. ManUtd08 macrumors member

actually it will be quiet different...with each person only being able to get their hands on one phone i would think they would not sell out within the hour.

20. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

There will be plenty to go around

21. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

22. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

i think at&t stores only sold one per customer last year on opening day too.

23. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

My store is also in a mall so I don't know how they will handle that, but I was planning on getting there the night before and lining up outside of the nearest door to the Apple store with my lawn chairs and MBP. Probably bring a couple of power bars too. But I will probably be one of the first in line, and I want to be, more excitement to be the first, at least for me. But if it is going to be like last year, you can show up at 1 or 2 and still get one.

24. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I was able to get two from the AT&T store last year on iDay

25. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

It will be interesting to see in my town. Its a college town of about 50K population but with no AT&T 3G coverage. (Only Sprint currently has 3G coverage here). The nearest AT&T 3G is about 40 miles in either direction. There is one AT&T store.

I would never stand in line, but I am guessing I will get one before the weekend is over. We'll see if that prediction holds true.