iPhone X How fragile is the X really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Dec 10, 2017.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Everyone talks about it like it’s a soufflé. If you more than whisper round it the whole thing might implode. How much is it blown out of proportion? So far as I can tell it’s like any glass and metal phone. I have a hard plastic case on for grip and small bumps/bruises and that seems to be adequate.

Thoughts?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

4. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Excellent!! Thank you.

6E2948C0-E6AC-4D0C-AA92-07FFE2358044.gif

5. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

If you use a case there won't be any issues. And less threads. Dropped mine 3 times on concrete and ceramic, no issues.

6. tae777 macrumors newbie

So many case options and many are super thin and protective. Combined with tempered glass and some care I don’t worry much.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

These threads seem to surface quite frequently. Every iPhone is fragile one way or the other if it's dropped. It can depend the iPhone was using protection or not.

I have read where others have dropped their iPhone X caseless and It didn't have any damage, so the impact of a drop, angle protection is all relative to any iPhone.

8. MH01 Suspended

MH01

It's make of glass , dont drop it ;)

Other than dropping I consider it durable - not like the iPhone 5 black. If you drop it , very expansive

9. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

By a case and screen protector like every year and you are fine. Don't try to be a hero.

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

LMAO you guys are hilarious! Perfect timing considering the season too! I just finished watching this classic movie for the 1000 time and I love every moment of it every time. Weird Science gets a close second in my heart.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Mine took a nosedive off the nightstand, onto concrete thanks to the cat thinking he’s part of Barnum and baileys circus. Minor scuff to the stainless steel band. Just like my stainless steel Apple Watch.

Thoroughly impressed with the durability. I don’t use cases.

12. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be clear the question was about how many sites are complaining about the “most expensive iPhone to repair” and other such claims. And how Apple didn’t think the design through. I was wondering if everyone was buying into it or if it was all just clickbait

13. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

14. Joe h macrumors member

When you put a case around a phone, a screen protector, and a phone resides 90+% of its life in your pocket, yet a deep gouge somehow forms in a very tiny area that wasn’t quite protected, no other word to describe it than it is fragile.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's a phone, not a baby. You have it in a case. Odd of it dropping 10ft+ are what? Seems pretty high unless you take it skydiving or work in construction. If it does drop and shatter the back worst case is it's another $600 out of pocket. In other words, it breaks, you replace, life goes on as normal.

16. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried about 4 different cases so far and haven’t found one I truly like. Installing and removing cases shouldn’t stress the screen right.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Some cases are much more difficult to remove than others. OtterBox for example, can be very difficult to remove because it has multiple pieces and the way it conforms to the iPhone. When you disassemble the case off the iPhone, just make sure you're not flexing the display and pulling too hard on the case itself.

18. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a plastic hard snap on case, couple of apple leather cases, and a speck presidio grip.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    My biggest concerns were stressing the frame (which shouldn’t happen because it’s stainless steel) and stressing the glass. I didn’t really put direct pressure on the glass to remove any of the cases. I would pull ok the case and that in turn could put pressure on the glass somewhat.

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I just don’t expect ANY of my electronic devices to do so great if I drop them from waist height without some kind of case/protection on them.

I also don’t expect much mercy if I drop a glass or plate in my kitchen onto my tile floor.

20. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried a tech21 tactical case and it was ok but still not as good as without. It was a bit difficult to remove. No case is easy on/off it seems.

21. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Try different tests and report back to us. Start with dropping it on the carpet, then wood. Then finally concrete. Let us know the results so we can document them. :)

22. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Not any more fragile than other devices, try not dropping it and you'll be ok. To me it just isn't a concern, heck my much more expensive car can get a dent much easier ;)

23. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have to admit, taking the tech21 case off did worry me. That thing doesn’t have a lot of flex around the display. Should be fine ya?

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

How would anyone know if your phone would be fine without seeing it in person? You're the only judge of that.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

How would you have felt if it broke in it 18 inch fall?