iPhone X How fragile is the X really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Dec 10, 2017.

1. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

**** happens sometimes. If it happens then it happens.

2. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I’m mostly concerned about flex in the frame and pushing too hard on the display when removing a case. After watching JerryRigEverything I guess I have nothing to worry about

3. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I have an Apple leather case on the way for my x. Hoping it holds up wells and keeps my phone damage/scratch free.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel like removing cases is more difficult since the screen is the whole front. Based on the video from jerry rig everything it seems like the screen can take some pressure. He’s pretty rough with then bend test. And I see youtubers like flossy Carter testing a bunch cases and he shoves the phone in and damn near rips it out in some instances.

5. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Dropped mine on concrete while under the influence, couple of dings in the stainless steel but nothing too bad. I don't think it's that fragile at all. Screen seems to be really good at resisting scratches compared to my 7 Plus

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've had one on my X since the day I got it and I've had one serious drop along with several minor ones. Got a nice scuff on the corner but it's all part of the case aging/evolving into its own character. Phone is still flawless.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Like anything if you take care of something properly you don't need to worry.

8. Geert76 macrumors 65816

gives a good grip and looks very nice with the stainless steel exposed and Apple logo cut out
    problem solved!
    its the black leather DBrand skin.

(and yes, I do have AC+ with this ;) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Didn’t do anything to the phone at all?

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Nope. As I said the phone itself is flawless at 50 days.

11. cappo3 macrumors member

I'm on my fifth day with a silver iPhone X.
    The SS band is already scuffed on the top side, where it comes into contact with my jeans while putting it into the pockets.
    Moreover, the thin plastic border that goes around the glass back is detaching from the glass itself at the top, even if I do not slide the back side on the fabric and that particular point never came into contact with any hard surfaces.
    Since I am handling this phone with (exaggerated) care, the very least I can say is that I am disappointed.
    It is all cosmetic (do not know if the detaching at the back is going to compromise water resistance), but it really looks beaten-up. And it probably makes me, as the owner, look uncaring as well.

It depends on your priorities, in the end. It works flawlessly, but I am sure it will not look the part in a year's time.

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Sweet thanks for the info man. Loving my x in the product red Apple leather case

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

For sure. I bought the Product RED for my iPhone 8 before deciding I wanted the X. Sold the 8 but gave the case to my wife to use on her 7 so I get to watch that age while I use the blue on my X. We're both very happy with how they're turning out.

Also, she's not careful. She's lost two phones in the same river while tubing. I've personally seen her drop it on concrete twice so I can only imagine how many times it's happened when I'm not around. Last night she dropped it in the snow as we were leaving her parents' house. The case shows signs of abuse but her phone is still in great shape.

14. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Yeah I had a blue for my 7 I saw a guy with a spacegrey x and red leather case thought it looked great so that’s why I picked red

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

This was 3ft.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Results were the same.

17. apolloa macrumors G4

Drop it and find out....

But the stainless steel makes it a bit tougher then the 8 however, if you crack that back glass it’ll cost you 99 on Apple Care and 500 I think without to have it replaced.....

Best look after it well.

18. bushman4 macrumors 68020

More important than how fragile is the phone X is How careful are you with your iphone

If your a careful person and put a case on the iPhoneX you should be O.K.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Brilliant post. And I agree completely. Every iPhone is considered fragile regardless of the of the materials. Every iPhone is not guaranteed to survive a drop based on angle an impact. But if somebody was concerned about Durability with an iPhone, then use a case to protect it.

20. andrewlimxuser macrumors newbie

andrewlimxuser

I dropped my X naked from about 2 feets high while charging on samsung fast wireless charger. I was no idea with how it dropped and which part impact to the wooden surface of the floor. My charger was place on a chair and somehow my X slipped on its own and slipped to the floor from the chair in the midnight when i was sleeping. I was shocked and awake when i heard the sound pappppppp..... but lucky enough, i found that my X was totally survive with no scratch or dent at all. It was naked but i put a hoco tempered glass on the front. It was facing down after the dropped, my tempered glass seems some hairline scratches and barely visible. But for the bezel and the back of my X was still perfect and flawless. I think its all depends on the speed and impact angle, you cant judge the X by watched fews drop test on youtube. All the youtuber seems will drop it and test it until the X broken and shattered then only they edit and post the video.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

That is sweet

So no issues at all holding the phone? doesn't get slippy?

22. Geert76 macrumors 65816

it gives you a very nice grip, not slippery at all.
    The tric is to use a hair dryer / heat gun to smoothen down the edges of the DBrand skin otherwise you will feel the edges of the skin.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You're hundred percent correct. When a phone drops, angle and impact is absolutely everything in what causes it to break. There are those who dropped their iPhones from 6 feet and Have had no damage and there are those who have dropped their iPhones from the same distance on carpet with the screen cracking. So angle, surface type and impact are all relevant how a phone breaks. Unfortunately there are no guarantees if a phone drops if it will survive or not.