General How Fragile Your 6.1.2 Jailbreak Really Is...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 5kylar, Apr 11, 2013.

1. 5kylar, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

5kylar macrumors member

5kylar

So I just wanted to post this to let anyone who may be uninformed (Like myself up until last night) know just how fragile your jailbreaks are so you don't screw yours up and end up with nothing on 6.1.3.

So here's what happened to me...

Last night I decided I didn't like the wallpaper gradient anymore and I attempted many ways of trying to accomplish removing it. The little bugger wouldn't leave no matter what I tried. So I finally broke down and broke out good old Winterboard. I got a theme off Cydia claiming to be iOS 5.x and 6.x compatible that would remove it. (I doubt it was the theme itself and rather how it interacted with my iPhone that caused the next event) So I applied my new theme in Winterboard and pushed respring.. Doesn't the little $h!t brick up on me!

3 and a half hrs later...

So I've tried everything at this point to unbrick my poor iPhone (You know your getting desperate when your on the 4th page of Google) Nothing. Couldn't force safe mode, rebooting obviously wasn't helping, and any attempts to SHH or iFunbox failed miserably.

So after a heartpounding restore (I was just waiting for some stupid iTunes error saying "We can't restore your phone, your SOL" lol) I finally got it up and running again on the dreaded 6.1.3.

So In short it can be something as simple as a transparent png image from a Winterboard theme that does you in and messes up your precious Jailbreaks. I just hope that by posting this here I can at least let a few people learn from my stupidity ;)

Update: So I am not the only person who this has happened to.. Don't know whether to feel happy or sad about that lol. A couple threads have popped up in the last couple of weeks claiming nearly the exact same thing. Essentially that after installing a perfectly legit Winterboard theme, users got thrown into a bootloop from which restoring is the only escape.

Further more, I've become increasingly confident these turn of events had very little to do with Winterboard and nearly everything to do with Evasi0n.
    Currently I'm running the 6.1.3 Semi-Tethered Jailbreak using the Limra1n Exploit. I not only installed the exact same theme without issue, I also installed a tweak that removed the wallpaper gradient without a single problem occurring.
    On top of the apparent stability I obtained through Limera1n, my iPhone's animations no longer lag and my lockscreen has ceased to glitch upon waking up the phone. I'm using an iPhone 4 so the lags and glitches could easily be chopped up to old hardware (Which is likely the case) however, everyone else who has unfortunately fallen prey to this issue was rocking an i5.

So just to make my point one more final time...

THE 6.1.2 JAILBREAK IS FRAGILE, BEWARE ;)

2. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Could it have been something you altered while trying to theme and then applying winterboard?

Like the combination of the two could have lead to the problem?

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Ouch I feel for you man. who knows how long you'll have to wait for the next jailbreak. I thought if you had your SHSH saved you could restore to 6.1.2 :confused: .... and it's once you upgrade to 6.1.3 that you are SOL since you can never go back? Am I wrong about this?

So I have my phone at ios 6.1 right now and I have a 6.1.2 SHSH saved, theoretically if this happens to me I can upgrade to 6.1.2 right? maybe I am off here

4. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

iirc since IOS 5.0 if you have an iphone 4s or 5 you cannot downgrade anymore even with SHSH blobs

So if you brick your iphone or waste it in loop, you are done to restore to 6.1.3

5. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Damn... that sucks. The closest I've been was safe-mode. Surprised you didn't get that instead of a whole brick.

6. TriJetHero, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

not completely true.

On the 4S with 5.x you can restore or re-restore to 5.x with blobs.

With 6.x for IP5 and 4S you cannot restore and only upgrade to 6.1.3 even if you have blobs

7. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

So my friend could go from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1 on 4s if he has his 5.1.1 blobs?

Ah well the more you know lol

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

9. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

No, you cannot downgrade. Once you're on iOS 6 you're stuck.

10. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Ok so have to be on 5.X and have to have 5.X blobs

Ok noted

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Nope.

read again, only if you are currently on 5.x firmware you can re-restore to 5.x.

If on 6.x it's only 6.1.3

12. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

If you let cydia save them for you then you'd be hosed. All the 6.x blobs from cydia are junk :( ...but unless you have an iphone 4, you wouldn't be able to use them anyway.

13. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

The iOS 5 blobs were perfectly fine :D

15. Snide, Apr 11, 2013

Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

It's a bit late now, but...

You could try rebooting in Safe Mode by holding down the up-volume button during the boot, and then uninstalling whatever is causing the problem in Cydia.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edit: I just reread your post and it says you tried booting in Safe Mode. Since I've never tried it, are you supposed to hold the button down the entire time or just at the beginning?

Edit to the edit™...My iPhone boots into Safe Mode whether I hold the up-voume key the whole time during boot, or at least 10 seconds or so during boot.

16. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

i just completely removed winterboard and got springtomize 2. good decision so far, worth the money. :)

17. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I actually am worried that the day will come where I lose mine. Will be a sad day, indeed!

18. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

yes its one misstep and you are out. hence why i try to keep changes and experimentations to a minimum now that i am happy with how it looks. doesnt hurt to browse this forum to be sure tweaks you need have been tested before.

i still don't quite understand the OPs issue though - he didn't like his wallpaper so he sought out a theme to fix it? whats wrong with using a new wallpaper - without a gradient?

19. a042349 macrumors member

When Apple is still signing firmware that can be Jailbroken I do all the fiddling/tweaking/testing that I can possibly find, but as soon as they patch the exploit and are no longer signing Jailbreakable OS versions...

Time. To. Be. Very. Careful.

Since they rolled out 6.1.3, I pretty much stay out of Cydia. If a major dev comes out with something I might try it (saurik's music queue tweak for instance) but for the most part I'm done "playing" until another OS version is out and Jailbroken.

Just not worth the risk of losing the increased JB functionality.

20. TC25 macrumors 68020

Agree. OP post made zero sense.

21. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

OP's post made sense. You just didn't understand it.

The iphone puts a gradient on whatever wallpaper you have. It's faint, but it's there. Took me forever to figure out why the image that was bright on my computer looked so dark on the bottom half of my iphone screen... it's the gradient. There are tweaks to remove the gradient. I've used it before.

22. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

You could have easily done it by using flex... Sorry op...

23. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

That is desperate. I don't think I ever went further than the wasteland of the third page.

But that does illustrate how fragile the jailbreak situation has become lately. Plus, you could do everything right, jailbreak-wise, and still be hosed should you need to take it in for repair.

I just sold a couple of Apple TV 2s, that I bought back in 2010 when they first came out--over three and a half years ago. I sold them for nearly double what I paid all because the ATV3 has no jailbreak. So people are paying twice the price for a device that, hardware wise, is worse than the current generation.

Michael

24. Troneas, Apr 11, 2013

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

well if you are looking for a tweak to remove some *faint* gradient created by iOS that no one cares about then you are looking for trouble.

perhaps he does make sense but this is a poor example of JB "fragility". he might as well try to install android in his iphone and look surprised when it blows up.

25. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I am with you, i am the same way.

Play while you can with new stuff till the window is closed. when its closed, nothing new unless tested thoroughly by others first.

When ever I introduce someone new to the world of jailbreaking I send them to this forum and let them know not to just instal what ever they want, to do lots of research first!