Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
MacBooks, MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro 17" are all different. I'm not sure about the specifics on the MacBook, but the MBP (15") has 3 speakers and the 17" has 4. There's a noticeable difference between the 3 and 4 speaker MBP's. I've found my 17" MBP to be more than acceptable, for built-ins.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I have a MacBook late 2006, and the speakers are kind of poor in comparison to other apple products, my suggestion to you before you buy anything if this is a critical decision, is that you go into an apple store and test them.
However if you are OK to use a nice pair of headphones you'll be fine.
________
Toyota MZ engine specifications

Last edited:

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
"media laptops" such as the sony Vaio (most models, not all) and some Dell laptops considered media laptops are worlds away from the Mac in terms of sound. The MacBook is low volume and not amazing quality, but works ok. The MacBook Pro is a step up and is not too bad at all, still not on par with the true "media laptops".

Mainly the issue is with overall volume.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
How are the internal speakers on the Macbooks?

MacBooks have 3 speakers: 1 right 1 left for highs and mids and 1 mini subwoofer. It sounds good, but not loud enough, MacBook Pro 15" apparently have 2 speakers bigger than the subwoofer in the MacBook and reproduce all the frequencies, sounds better than the MacBook and noticeably louder too. The 17" MacBook Pro has 4 very similar to the ones in the 15" perhaps a bit bigger, and is very very loud and sounds very good (for computer speakers) I've heard all of them and just to let you know how loud the 17" is my english teacher shushed me when I was blasting some Matisyahu with my friends 17" outside her class, she had the doors closes and I was around the outside corner of the class facing a wall, so yeah they are very loud and sound very nice.

If you want to see them for yourself check http://www.ifixit.com/guide and choose the computers.

-Victor

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
The 17" have 4 speakers and sound very nice.

The MBA has one speaker and isn't too bad but ill be using headphones anyway.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
they are decent. granted not awesome but i can watch movies and stuff froom across the room just fine with them

Great! Thats what I wanted to hear since I will be using my Singbox and not want to carry external speakers.

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
I find the speakers on my macbook to be pretty decent. Nothing of great quality, but then again I don't think any laptop really has great speakers.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
My Santa Rosa MacBook's speakers sounds acceptable, though they don't get very loud. I use headphones when I do stuff that needs better sounds quality, like games, movies etc.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Isn't the one in the MBA mono?? I mean even the iPhone has a stereo speaker.

Edit: According to Apple's technical data on the MBA: "Built-in mono speaker"

-Victor

The iPhone does not have a stereo speaker. It is mono. The other side is a Mic.

I just hope the speaker in the Macbook Air is not the same one as the iPhone, because the iPhone speaker the worst part of the phone.

lauriechelt

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
The UK
they are decent. granted not awesome but i can watch movies and stuff froom across the room just fine with them
I agree, they're usable but its definitely worth investing in a pair of external speakers (I've got jbl duets and love them...cheap and small but good sound quality)

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
They have a decent audio quality at low volumes, but they're not loud enough.
My old 400 euro Packard Bell laptop (horror, I know) blows my macbook away with way better and louder sound.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Compared to some of the sounds coming out of the tinny PCs I have used, I am very impressed with the quality of my MB speakers - fine for watching movies, even at a distance.

TBH, if I wanted great sound then I would buy Bose speakers - but these are just internal speakers, and certainly not the worst I have ever heard.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
The iPhone does not have a stereo speaker. It is mono. The other side is a Mic.

I just hope the speaker in the Macbook Air is not the same one as the iPhone, because the iPhone speaker the worst part of the phone.

Really I could have sworn it was stereo. But yeah the one in the MBA is mono and from what I've read it sucks big time. I know the other side is the mic, can 1 speaker alone be stereo?

-Victor

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Really I could have sworn it was stereo. But yeah the one in the MBA is mono and from what I've read it sucks big time. I know the other side is the mic, can 1 speaker alone be stereo?

-Victor

What is the difference if there is only one speaker?

Isn't the whole point of stereo audio that there are 2 channels, one left and one right, and you have 2 speakers, one to play each channel. A single speaker that outputs both L and R channels is still a mono speaker....

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
What is the difference if there is only one speaker?

Isn't the whole point of stereo audio that there are 2 channels, one left and one right, and you have 2 speakers, one to play each channel. A single speaker that outputs both L and R channels is still a mono speaker....

Oooh, thanks for mentioning that, Im aware know.

-Victor

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I have to say i've been pleasantly surprised by my MBP's speakers. Compared to my last laptop and my wife's laptop it is far better than I was expecting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.