How good is the internal 768Gb SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yougotcarved, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Yougotcarved macrumors regular

I've seen some of the benchmarks but I have no idea what they mean compared to whats out there...so my question is how are the SSDs that apple uses for the 768Gb configuration? I'm assuming they arent top of the top but are they noticeably deficient compared to things like the Samsung 840?

2. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

What benchmarks have you seen?

3. Yougotcarved, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

Yougotcarved thread starter macrumors regular

This:

[​IMG]

IIRC the Samsung is a bit higher, in the low 500s I think, but I dont know if this makes a difference for speed of opening apps and files etc

4. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Thanks. Yeah the 840 Pro is faster still by about 100 MB/s.

Attached Files:

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

Just about nobody really cares, right? :D The 2012 iMac is likely using a Samsung 830 anyway. It's more than fast enough for 99.9% of people. If you really need ridiculous speed, RAID0 SSDs in Thunderbolt enclosures is the way to go, and then the 840 Pro can't touch that.

6. hfg, Dec 14, 2012

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

That looks pretty good to me! :)

Just for comparison using the same test program, the following test results are on a Velocity Solo x2 PCIe card in my Mac Pro (SATA-III). One is the popular Crucial M4 512GB SSD, the other is a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD:

-howard

Left: Crucial M4 ------------ Right: Samsung 840 Pro

Attached Files:

7. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Sure. But then it isn't internal. More boxes. More cables. :cool:

8. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i love cables and clutter :p

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Here is my test of the LaCie "Little Big Disk" enclosure with a pair of Crucial M4 512GB SSD in RAID-0. It should be noted that I purchased a "refurbished" LaCie and removed the hard disks and installed the SSDs in their place. I am fairly confident that the reason the LaCie enclosures are "refurbished" is that they are dumping the old SATA-II bus units. The new LaCie units claim to have been upgraded to SATA-III internally ... but of course they are much more than the refurbished ones, and are probably faster.

I also show a test of a 2012 MacBook Air 13" with the 512GB internal blade-type SSD.

I wish I had a pair of Samsung 840 Pros to try in the LaCie RAID-0!

-howard

LEFT: LaCie RAID-0 SSD ---------------- Right: MacBook Air blade SSD

Attached Files:

10. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Here are a couple of Lacies LBD SSD connected via Thunderbolt in Raid0 to a MB Air. Quite happy with them...

Attached Files:

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When it comes to performance of SSDs... MB/sec is without doubt... the absolute worse metric to use for comparison of SSDs... or comparing SSDs to HDDs. It is a relic from testing HDDs... and is almost meaningless for SSDs.

When it comes to NVM... the most single important metric is I/O's per second (IOPS).

MB/s performance between HDDs and SSDs are relatively close together. For example... a HDD might give 50 MB/s and as SSD might be 10X at 500 MB/s. That is NOT why SSDs perform so well.

For IOPs... a HDD might give 200-400 IOPS. By contrast, a consumer SSD might be 100X (or higher) the performance at 50,000 IOPs. Enterprise SSDs might be 1000X at 500,000 IOPS.

It is IOPS that makes computer fly with SSDs... not MB/s.

/Jim

12. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

It's part of the deal. As much as it's part of the deal loading 2gbs of samples in 3 seconds instead of 20.
    MB/S read speed does count.

13. flynz4, Dec 14, 2012

flynz4 macrumors 68040

MB/s are a measure of large read/writes. These are extremely rare in client systems. Of course they occur... but they are relatively rare.

The statistics that I have seen are ~90% small random reads on client systems. The vast majority of the remaining 10% are small random writes. These small random accesses are where the IOPS help significantly. When you hear your disk drive sounding like a popcorn maker at peak rate... that is what kills IOPS performance of HDDs. It is also when your system becomes non-responsive. SSDs are often 100X or higher performance at these times.

I maintain that MB/s are the absolute worse rating for SSDs.. and a remnant of testing HDD's. I'll be happy when the metric is eventually retired.

Your example of 3 vs 20 seconds for a large block read is a perfect example of this. Less than a 10X improvement. Very few people are inconvenienced by waiting a few extra seconds for the occasional large file transfer. By contrast... when your machine is clicking away with small random accesses and it becomes unresponsive with full disk queues... it affects the basic usability of the machine. Everyone notices this. This is where SSDs value become evident.

/Jim

14. themomopan macrumors member

YAY! Apple CSR lied to me and said it was 700-800 mb/s lol

15. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Nice. What sizes are you running?

Funny man. :)

16. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I guess I use the BlackMagicDesign "Disk Speed Test" because it is widely used on these forums to display disk performance for easy comparison and the program is free and readily available to anyone. Even if it isn't a good measure of SSD performance, it does give a common base for rough comparison. The AJA test is also commonly used, and gives different results for some brands of SSD due to the controllers used.

What is available to measure and compare IOPS in the same way we use Disk Speed Test?

-howard

17. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Is that the current 1TB LaCie SSD drive or a DIY using their enclosures?

Are you using 2 LaCie LBDs in a 4-SSD RAID, or a single 2 drive unit to get those speeds? What disks are you using in them? Those are pretty impressive results.

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

You are booting off this drive?

19. iCaleb macrumors 6502

If you boot from an external TB ssd what happens to the internal hdd/ssd?

Does it just sit there and do nothing or does it power off?

20. jkautosports macrumors regular

use it to backup with time machine :)

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

More than likely. That's what an eSATA drive would do, so the internal drive would be like an... iSATA :D So it should shut up after a bit, or you could just eject it.

For the time being I'm going to do a boot SSD over Thunderbolt, but I will likely summon up the courage to install an SSD inside after a day or two of playing with the computer when it shows up. :)

22. jkautosports macrumors regular

I think the Lacie 1TB SSD comes with two 512's... add a backpack and you're good to go/won't even know it's there!

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

If only the Backpacks worked with the 2012! Waiting for the update from TwelveSouth. Supposedly they will sell the clips for the 2012 model soon.

24. jkautosports macrumors regular

They don't fit? Damnit!!!

Wait.... I thought I saw someone post one up.... one of the first people to get a 21.5. He made a thread about opening some external drive and swapping in an SSD. I think he posted a pic of it... hmmm

25. WilliamG macrumors 604

News to me...!

Twelve South link below..

https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1727034/1400299/?v=a