How HOT do they get...??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 24usedtorock, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Hi. I will purchase 17'' Macbook Pro, 17 inch. Either 7200rpm or 128 ssd.

What I will like to know is, when you are watching a movie after a few hours (plugged in charger), and just using the computer, does it get HOT like clunky windows machines do?

Or does it stay cool no matter what it is that you do except maybe it gets warm gaming? Please tell me the answers.

Also please answer wheather you can play with the computer continuously for 24 hours without performance issue or overheating and if you must physically close the lid on laptop every single night.

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yes they get hot, they feel like it b/c of the heat transfer through the aluminum. It wont take hours of movies to get hot, only a few short minutes. You should be able to use it 24 hrs a day w/o issue. If you looking to use this as a gaming/entertainment computer you might be disappointed. Not really sure what the question about closing the lid is.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It runs noticeably cooler than my 2.33GHz C2D MBP did. I would say your latter description is the more accurate. Most of the time, it's relatively cool (especially the top case) and silent (fans idle at 2000 RPM - I don't hear them unless they're above ~3200 RPM).

The top will get pretty warm if you're gaming or otherwise stressing the machine (encoding video, for instance). The bottom will be warmer. I'm not sure I'd say "hot", though some might. I don't think I've seen enclosure temps above 100F - even when the machine is stressed, the enclosure temps stay in the 90's.

You can run it 24/7 without a problem. For most daily tasks (web/mail), you probably won't even notice it warm up. Sometimes I put the machine to sleep at night, sometimes I leave it open (or I fall asleep with it open...). A side note: normally, I never shutdown the machine. I always put it to sleep. The only time I restart it is if an update requires it, or I use Boot Camp.

I have a WD Black Scorpio 320GB 7200RPM drive which is almost totally silent. I'm not sure which brand they chose, but they should all be similarly quiet - unless, of course, you go with SSD ;) .

(2.66GHz 17" ubMBP, Early 2009; 8GB RAM)

4. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

well sir i must tell you i am gravely disappointed because i think for $2500 USD and amazing 6.6lbs only of weight, that there would be a way to actually not be hot and from the sounds of it it gets hotter quicker than standard pc laptops which already got hot too quick.

are you saying at least that even though they get hot, they're at least protected well enough to avoid overheating issues that would be atypical of a machine that gets hot sooo quickly? i dont have high standard or expectation of gaming really but id like to do some warcraft..

5. auero macrumors 65816

Yes it does get 'hot' or very warm at least. There has been times where I felt it was WAY too hot when wearing shorts and it touched my actual skin on my legs. But thats also after using it all day. Watching a movie shouldn't make it hot though. Remember it isn't plastic so you're going to really feel it more.

6. auero macrumors 65816

You also need to understand one of the reason its built out of the aluminum material is to emulate a heatsink. The case is what disperses heat from the inside.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

They do effectively cool, actually if you ran SMC fancontrol it would keep it quite cool. Im just pointing out that the fans usually dont come on until its quite warm, but overheating usually isnt a problem. If your not a super hardcore gamer than youll be happy, the hardcore gamers all whine on here about one thing or the other. But the unibodys tend to be less toasty than their classic brothers. But the reason that pcs feel like they heat up slow is b/c it takes a while to heat the plastic. Al is pretty efficient at heat transfer thus resulting in quick heat up and effective cooling. Forget and set it on a comforter while playing a movie or flash clip and be prepared for a mac thats quite hot to the touch.

8. dal20402 macrumors 6502

They get hot under heavy CPU load, but they can run at 100% for weeks at a time with no problem. I've done it on both of my 15% MBPs.

They dissipate heat well, unlike many "gaming" PC laptops. In fairness, though, they also have graphics that are one step down from most of those machines.

9. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, forgive me if this Q is stupid but would using a SSD hard drive actually make the machine less hot at times, and rest of time is just the power/cpu that generate the heat?

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

From what i read on here SSD is less heat, and usually the gpu is the hottest part, followed by the cpu for heat.

11. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

thx for the replies. kind of amazing that a machine that can generate such heat will stay operating at a high level. ive wasted $ on machines in the past that ended up being "Clunkers" and requiring constant care to looking for a nice laptop that will last me two years and with 5 hr+ of usage a night for that time.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Take a look at THIS thread it might help quell insecurities about usage. As far as keeping it looking nice, they kinda scratch and dent easy. Get a hard shell or invisible shield if you want to keep it cherry. Otherwise youll get a scratch or two, unless your good with your stuff, then youll be fine anyway.