Carrier How I activated T-mobile's free 200mb on iPad 3...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lockon, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Lockon, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Lockon macrumors regular

I ordered a free T-mobile pre-paid PHONE micro sim off of their website. It was free with free shipping. Looks like they may be $0.99 now.

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/bring-your-own-tablet.html

Put sim in Verizon iPad 3, of course. Turn off wifi. Then open any page in safari. It takes you to a T-mobile connect and activate page. Click activate and enter your email information. That's it.

Good luck.

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

At the bottom of the link you posted is this....

So, no luck involved really apparently!!

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Thank you! I just remembered I still have a Tmobile micro sim I got for free d tried it in my iPad. It worked, though it took a while to search for the network. Sites load slow since I'm using an AT&T iPad 3rd gen and I'm limited to Edge apparently, but I can't complain about free! Thanks again, OP. I never would have had a use for that extra SIM had I not seen this.

Curiously, why did it assign a hone number to my iPad? I'm hoping it will not charge me or anything for voice as I'm happily an AT&T user.

Attached Files:

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

That's normal. My Verizon and AT&T iPads have phone numbers, too.

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Ah, cool. I got it now, thanks! I've never had a data plan on my iPad before. Sent from my iPad.

6. The Dougler macrumors member

The Dougler

I must be going nuts, when I try to order one online it forces a $50 plan, I can't get through check out without it forcing a plan. I must be missing something.

7. Lockon thread starter macrumors regular

You're not nuts. They changed it. Try this route instead...

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/bring-your-own-tablet.html

8. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Now the real question is can you activate multiple free 200MB SIMs from/for the same iPad?

9. Lockon thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting thought. I didn't have to input my imei number. So maybe?

10. The Dougler macrumors member

The Dougler

11. enthusiastic macrumors regular

iPad Air?

I will be getting iPad Air soon. Should I order a nano SIM?

12. H2K03 macrumors member

Do you have the AT&T or Verizon iPad 3?

13. Lockon thread starter macrumors regular

My Verizon iPad 3 gives me a mix of t-mobile 3G and Edge service.

14. mellofello macrumors 65816

When did ipads switch to hspa+, and LTE? I have both available from tmobile where I live.

15. Lockon thread starter macrumors regular

iPad 3 and higher. But the 3rd generation LTE is carrier specific. My verizon iPad 3 can do Verizon LTE, AT&T hspa+, and t-mobile 2G (and some 3G where the towers have been converted to 1900 bands).

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I got my nano via the online link. Came in mail yesterday.

Put it in my ATT IpadAir. It comes up with a page that wants information, but it wants my phone number. I used my cell number, that did not go anywhere.

Went to another page and tried to set up account, but got nowhere. I must be doing something wrong?

It was asking for password - I don't have one.

17. jeffmo macrumors member

Best bet is to just call 1-800TMOBILE because I spent time at 2 brick-and-mortar stores today and was fed a bunch of crap about having to have a voice line with T-Mobile or having to pay for the device IN FULL to receive the free data (even worse!).

Instead, I called their customer sales line and the representative was so thorough in explaining every single detail in regards to their installment plan for the iPad Air as well as the 200 MB of complementary data.

In the end, all you have to pay is $67.60 (upfront) for the tax of the device as well as the $10 sim starter kit. When you receive the iPad, you will activate your data account on the cellular management tool directly in the settings and you will be eligible to receive the 200 MB of free data for life with the option to add supplementary data as you go.

Initially, you will be "charged" $10 per month for the on-demand service, but once you activate the 200mb complementary data on the iPad (as stated before) that charge will no longer appear on your monthly bill. All you will end up paying is the $26.25 fee plus the regulatory tax for the device every month.

The process was long on the phone, but it was well worth it since every single angle was covered in terms of information. Plus, you do not get charged the $35 activation fee like you would in the brick-and-mortar stores.

The only downside to ordering on the phone is having to wait for the iPad to ship to you, but I feel like this is such a small concession to guarantee the awesome benefits of T-Mobile's new tablet data plan!

18. Lockon thread starter macrumors regular

It did this on mine, until I turned off wifi. Restart your ipad and only have the cell data on. I then opened safari and tried visiting any site, and the activate page came up.

19. wpalomine macrumors member

That didn't work in my case. I had to call Tmobile to activate the SIM card, gave the activation code, SIM and IMEI numbers.

20. tivoboy macrumors 68040

tried

I've tried all this, I was able to create an account and all, but the tmobile access either keeps saying to the ipad "there is no connection" or is just sits and spins?

Is there some APN settings that one needs to input.

I'm trying to do this on a new verizon ipad Air.

21. erio macrumors member

Something's wrong with T-Mobile. I keep getting my account has expired loop, even though I haven't used any of the 200mb.

22. H2K03 macrumors member

23. sportsplayer612 macrumors newbie

I have a verizon iPad Air. Bought a free T-mobile SIM off the internet from T-Mobile. Inserted into iPad Air. When I go to create an account for my iPad, it is asking for a phone number. Which phone number do I put in?

24. Lockon thread starter macrumors regular

It should automatically give you one. Screen shot?

25. sportsplayer612 macrumors newbie

So when I popped the SIM card in and went to activate it, I clicked "Create a new account for this iPad".

It asked for my First Name, Last Name, Phone Number. I was under the impression I needed to input a T-Mobile phone number, which I did not have. However, they were inquiring a "billing" phone number to put on my account, not a T-Mobile number. I input my Verizon phone number in this section and hit continue. I was then assigned a T-Mobile number after activating the SIM card.